“Unexpected stay”

HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Missed our connecting flight to San Diego due to an aircraft change in Copenhagen, so we were put up here until our morning flight. We came with about a dozen other travelers who were put up in the same hotel by SAS. Most of us arrived at about 9.15pm after a lenghty wait for the shuttle at the airport.

All passengers had the usual entitlement of an evening meal and breakfast, but the problem was that the bar which did the food closed at 10pm. It appears that the only person who ran the bar and also cooked the meals was unaware of the late influx. To say that she was a little perturbed would be an understatement.

The fact that reception withheld the free meal dockets when the first group of passengers arrived and that the remainder of the passengers arrived to check in just after 10pm didn't help. But I have to say, despite the late pressure she managed to rustle up decent enough quick meals and loosened up a little after a little banter from the fellow passengers.

We stayed in a double queen which was spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable, as was the public area of the hotel. Because of our early flight we could not take up the free breakfast. We took the first shuttle back to the airport, which departed on time driven by a very happy looking young guy.

An unexpected stay but an unexpected pleasure.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jimfromdublin
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for the candid review! We apologize that your flight was canceled due to some weather- related issue; but glad that we were able to serve you during this unexpected stay. We appreciate the feedback. It is through guest feedback that we're able to improve our services.

We look forward to seeing you again under better circumstances.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I booked two rooms at this hotel several months in advance. When we checked in, I confirmed again that we had reservations for two rooms, each with two queen beds. However, when we got to the rooms, we found that we had a king and a sofa bed. We were told by the hotel that they had an "inventory" problem and couldn't do anything about it. Since there were four of us (all seniors), sofa beds were definitely NOT what we had booked!!!! We finally did get a minimal reduction in the rate but only after asking to speak to the manager of the hotel. Definitely wasn't acceptable to us and none of us will stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank traveltheworldjean
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule and sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 703.435.9002

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed here while we visited Washington, DC. It takes around 30 mins (non-rush hour) to get to the national monument. But the room had a kitchenette which was so convenient. We went with another family. We could make sure kids had everything, make tea while waiting for everyone to get ready. Some days we even brought take out and ate at our convenience. The breakfast is absolutely great! We went there a second time -- our family only. We got a smaller suite, but everything else was the same.
My husband also went there by himself when he was flying out of the country. They are very close to the Dulles airport. They have a shuttle to the airport too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BKGK
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for the positive feedback. We are very delighted that you found our rooms very convenient and our breakfast absolutely great.

We thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Excellent room facilities. Would be great for family in one room or self catering stay. A little way out of Washington but free transfers to airport with direct bus to Washington for $6, takes about 45mins to 1 hour. Taxi was $70. Excellent breakfast, nice welcoming reception area, log fire, small bar. We did not use spa and pool facilities. Staff were exceptionally friendly, patient and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Heidi S
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

We appreciate the high rating and we thank you for staying with us. We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay.

We hope to see you again in the near future next time you're in the area, whether business or pleasure. We look forward to serving you again!

At your service,

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I had booked one night via Expedia at the Hyatt House for a business trip - when I had to extend my stay the very attentive staff gave me the same (preferential) rate, which was really great (especially with breakfast and internet included in the price).

I generally noticed the attentiveness of the staff: they went out of their way to fix breakfast for me even though I had to leave really early, and they let my colleague use their shuttle service even though he didn't stay there.

Combined with above-average rooms (great size, very quiet for an airport hotel) and a very clean establishment at a fantastic price the Hyatt House is a great choice for anyone who travels to the D.C. area on business or needs a stayover near the airport.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us! We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay at our facility.

If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Booked a room for one night at the Hyatt House for a wedding. I was very happy with the price - seemed very reasonable. The day before the wedding, I began to hear from other guests, who had arrived early, that there was a pipe leak at the hotel and they had been moved to another nearby Hyatt. I had no problem with the change in hotel - things happen. The issue was that no one from the Hyatt House called to notify many of the guests, myself included. Luckily, I was warned by other guests that unknowingly showed up at the wrong hotel.

Since I had not heard from anyone at Hyatt, I called the Hyatt House myself to inquire about my reservation. I was assured that my reservation had been moved and was given the address for the new hotel. The day of check-in, I called the new hotel to confirm (after hearing from other guests that there were issues with their reservations being moved) and of course, they had no record of my reservation.

Disappointed in the customer service and lack of notification/communication, I called the Hyatt House and asked to speak with a Manager. I was told there was not a Manager there that I could speak to and that one would call me back soon. It has been 4 days and I have yet to hear from anyone at Hyatt. Very disappointing experience. A pipe bursting is certainly out of Hyatt's control, but their handling of the situation is not.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank bkeagle
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Please accept my sincerest apologies for not being able to contact you during the flooding and prior to your arrival. We had attempted to contact all arriving guests with contact information in the system. There are a handful of reservations that were booked through a third party and some with no contact information provided.

I am sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced. We hope that you give us another chance in the future. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority and I will be sure to share your comments with our entire staff to ensure all our guests have a positive experience.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed just one night as we were picking up family coming in from a trip overseas and they were arriving early the next morning at the airport. This hotel was fabulous! The staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful the minute we walked in the door to the minute we left. Our room was quite large, very clean, comfortable and, given the close proximity to Dulles International, it was very quiet!! We stopped at the bar for a beverage and the bartender was very nice. In the morning we enjoyed a very good breakfast - as far as hotel complimentary breakfasts go - this one was great! Many choices and freshly prepared made to order omelettes. I would highly recommend this hotel! OH and the shuttle was perfect and on time too! Thanks Hyatt House - we will stay with you again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
hhousesterling, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for the perfect rating and for you, to take some time out of your busy schedule to share your feedback in TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed our services and accommodations.

We look forward to your next visit soon!

Safe travels,
Pam Domingo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
0 mi away
Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway

Been to HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!