“Wonderful Stay! Beautiful suites! A calming, relaxing atmosphere!”

HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 January 2010

As soon as you walk into the hotel, it smells like aromatherapy...fresh and clean. The ambiance is inviting and the colors are very warm. We stayed for my husband's birthday and HE was the one that noticed all the small details. We had the Winter Hideaway package and the woman at the front desk greeted us with a smile and promptly checked us in. If you leave your business card, they will make a luggage tag for you. When we arrived in our room, it was absolutely beautiful! We had a king suite with a separate living area and kitchen. The music was playing softly on the IPOD docking station...I called the previous week to see if they could leave the goodies that came with the package in our room. So I don't know if everyone gets to have music playing when they arrive or not, but it was just the right touch to start our weekend. It made us feel very special. The package included free ice skating a Reston Town Ctr., a Starbucks gift card, a discount for their cafe, hot chocolate, etc. The bed was extremely comfortable and cozy. Again, the color theme is repeated throughout...taupe, chocolate browns with green accents.

For breakfast, there were made to order omlets and bacon or sausage; an assortment of bread, muffins, cereal, and fruit. We had french toast one day out of our 4 day stay. We wished that would have been a choice on the others days; or possibly french toast sticks or pancakes. When we had the sliced bread, it was hard before we even toasted it, as if it had taken out from the previous day. The Starbuck's coffee is a nice touch and there was also Tazo tea, orange juice, and water. The staff has the TV on in the bar area, however, it was mostly on MTV in the morning. I would recommend a "neutral" channel, as some of the videos that were shown were offensive when you're facing that direction.

There are four computers in the business center which is open 24 hours with room key access. Get the basketballs from the front desk to use on the outdoor basketball court. There are 3 treadmills and 2 eliptical machines along with free weights in the exercise room. Only 1 out of the 3 treadmills was working. It was not an issue since no one else was in there at the time.

Overall, we had a wonderful experience at Hotel Sierra and would definitely return to this location. It is centrally located to most area malls, restaurants, movies, etc. It is not within walking distance to any restaurants, other than Burger King across the road, so you do need a car. Each night, we looked forward to "coming home" to the hotel because it truly was our home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2010

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the nice comments regarding the hotel and your recent stay at Hotel Sierra. I'm delighted you had a wonderful time we were able to make your husband's birthday special. We hope you will choose to stay with us again!

There are newer reviews for HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Reviewed 3 January 2010

You cannot get a better deal!!! I feel like I cheated the Hotel upon check-out. The rooms are amazing, with every amenity imaginable. Starbucks coffee, great full breakfast. Hotel Sierra will receive my return business. It is the first time, I have felt like I owed more for a stay. 4 Stars.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2010

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the great compliments regarding Hotel Sierra and your recent stay. We're glad you had an excellent experience and look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 4 December 2009

This hotel offers tremendous value for the rate. Rooms are extremely comfortable. The bar/restaurant has fantastic food. Shuttle service is convenient. Only item of complaint is the free internet is almost non functional. Location is fabulous.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2009

Dear Valued Guest,
We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your nice comments regarding the hotel. We apologize for the internet problems you experienced. We are working on this issue and hope to have it resolved soon. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 11 November 2009

I stayed at this location from 11.04.09 until 11.07.09 and with one exception was very happy.

On the plus side

1.The staff were very, very friendly
2. Room was great
3. Breakfast was excellent

On the negative side

1. If you are planing on doing any business over the Internet...forget it. They had the slowest connect speed of any hotel that offered wireless that I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2009

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Sierra. I'm glad you found our staff to be very friendly, the room comfortable and our breakfast to be excellent. I apologize for the internet connection issues you experienced. We are working on this issue and hope to have it resolved by the next time you stay with us.

Reviewed 19 October 2009

This is a very beautiful hotel. The colors, the decor, the details-- it's a treat to stay here. The rooms (suites) are well appointed and roomy. It's truly an upscale hotel at about the same price as ordinary hotels. Even the soap and shampoo is wonderful. The free breakfast is has real food that doesn't leave you disappointed. Staff can be a little snooty but generally service oriented.

Now, the problem. The in-room internet does not work. If you're here on business and need the net, forget it. They have free wired and cable hi speed, plus an extra-fee for faster service option. I've stayed here twice in September, and even after paying a charge, I could not get a working connection. It would start and stop. I've been told by management they're going to redo their system in two months. They advise guests to use the computer center where the service is better. But for me, my databases are on my laptop. I've been forced to stay at other hotels-- but I'd much rather stay here!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Sterling123
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2009

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay at Hotel Sierra. We are happy to hear you enjoy our hotel and the amenities. I do apologize for the internet connection issues you experienced. I hope we can resolve the issue by the time you return. Thank you for your feedback! We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 14 October 2009

Stayed over Columbus Day weekend for 2 nights with my husband and 2 children ages 10 and 11. We chose the location as a midpoint between a wedding that we were attending in Leesburg and DC. It was just perfect.
We had the king suite which offered a pullout in the living area for the kids with their own flat screen and a king bedroom for myself and my husband with its own tv and thebathroom. The fact that the hotel offered rooms with a full kitchen was one of my main reasons for choosing the Sierra. There was a full sized refrigerator, pots and pans, a microwave and 2 electric stove top burners as well as a dishwasher. We stored snacks for the kids as well as a case of water and brought along microwave popcorn to enjoy in the evening.
The room was immaculate and very clearly brand new. The lobby was contemporary in a cozy sort of way with a flat screen and a very nice lounge area. The front desk help was polite and competent. A surprise plus was the basketball court around back that my son and husband took advantage of numerous times (front desk has the basketballs).
The complimentary breakfast was very good ...the omelet station was a bonus!!!
All in all we were very very satisfied with the hotel and should the occasion arise we would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2009

Dear Valued Guest,
I'm delighted to hear you were extremely satisfied with your stay at Hotel Sierra! It's great to hear your husband and son were able to take advantage of the basketball court. Thank you for the wonderful comments! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 13 October 2009

I usually stay in DC when visiting, but this trip required an early morning flight from Dulles so I decided to stay at a nearby hotel. The website for Hotel Sierra was interesting and the price was very reasonable. When I got to Dulles, I called the hotel and the complimentary shuttle service (a handsome black SUV instead of a white van) arrived in a short time). Everyone at the hotel was pleasant and very helpful. Whoever designed this hotel must have been a business traveler. Everything a businessperson could possibly need has been anticipated. I was given a Studio King--a beautifully appointed room (comparable to or better than most 4-star hotels in DC). From the perfectly appointed kitchenette to the high-end draperies and furniture and incredible comfortable bed with six (6) king sized pillows. Granted, it was a slow weekend, but I paid only $81.00 a night (before tax). There's not only a complimentary business center, but a laundry facility, fitness room and a 24-hour mini-market that contained just about anything one would need. the only thing I was disappointed in was there was no bar offering cocktails, BUT there is a nice Bistro with beer and wine and a nice assortment of
hot, freshly-prepared meals. I can't say enough positive things about this hotel--it is a real find!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest,
What wonderful compliments! We are so happy you found Hotel Sierra and enjoyed your stay and all the amenities. Thank you for sharing your comments and experience! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Michael Gouzie, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington-Dulles International Airport
Best Western Dulles Airport Inn
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades

Been to HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!