“If you like the smell of Marijuana then this is the place for you.”

Super 8 Suffolk Tidewater
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Suffolk
Reviewed 9 April 2013

If I could give this hotel a 0 it would have it. First off when you walk into the lobby all you can smell is cigarette smoke. Then after a long day of driving I come back to my room having to use the restroom desperately only to be greeted by the smell of Marijuana. After complaining to the front desk, they say, we will send someone up. To do what I wonder? I am not smoking the damn stuff! So my husband goes down to the desk, they offer to give me another room, a smoking room.....I asked for a refund which the manager approved THANK GOD! I would never stay here again. I didn't feel safe and thank GOD my kids were not with me!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 April 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We have stayed at this hotel often while visiting family in the area. The price is always reasonable and while the hotel is showing its age, we have always found our room to be clean and comfortable. We have always found the staff to be pleasant to deal with. This hotel is a good value for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a fair value. You get exactly what your paying for. The reservation process was easy and the owner was nice to speak with. We were in a unique situation because we needed a pet friendly hotel for one night. Super 8 allowed our small dog for a $5 charge. The downside was it required us to stay in a smoking room. As non smokers this was a bit unpleasant but worth it for the convenience of keeping our dog along. Typically, we stay at four or five star hotels but couldn't locate any close enough to our desired location. The only one we found had a $100 pet fee which we felt was a bit much to pay.

The sheets and bed were clean and comfortable. The room definitely needed a makeover and a deep clean but it was clean where it counted - bed and bathroom. However, tub did not drain well after a shower.

The security wasn't really up to our standards. The backdoor didn't always lock without an extra tug and no one was visable at the front desk after 11:00pm (although there was a sign to ring bell for service so I know someone was on staff). The lobby was well kept and cereal was served for breakfast. We met with family at IHOP a few minutes down the road so I didn't see breakfast set up to comment.

Overall, sufficient for one night but the Hilton Garden Inn was calling my name from directly across the street for twice the price and no pets allowed. If I was staying for another night I would have been tempted to leave husband with the doggie and head over there.

• Stayed: January 2013