“Best Genuine Mex in Suffolk”
Review of Santa Fe Grill

Santa Fe Grill
Ranked #17 of 145 Restaurants in Suffolk
Cuisines: Mexican
Suffolk, Virginia
“Best Genuine Mex in Suffolk”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My family and I eat at Santa Fe Grill whenever we are in the mood for Mexican food. Service is prompt, they have a wide variety of selections, and they always have a "special" of the day: the day of the month corresponds to the numbered entree for that day's special. You will find a few items not often found at other Mexican restaurants. And they always greet you as "amigo!"

• Visited January 2013

Virginia Beach, VA
“Great People and Decor, So-so Food”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We were looking for a place to have dinner with the grand kids after starting to head home from the Isle of Wight County Fair last Saturday, and found this restaurant on TripAdvisor. Conveniently located just off route 460 near Obici Hospital, it was both close to our route home and the right cuisine for the grand kids, who learned to say "refritos" before Mama or Dada.

Santa Fe Grill is located in a newish strip mall across from the hospital, and is nicely decorated and appears very festive upon entering. Recorded mariachi music plays softly in the background, and we were immediately greeted and seated by the hostess. Our very polite and efficient server delivered silverware, chips and red sauce (only), took our orders, delivered our drinks, and left us to entertain the kids. The salsa was OK but not fresh, and chips were warm --- so far, so good. When the food arrived, however, we began to get a little disappointed. The "shredded" beef in the tacos for the kids and enchiladas for me turned out to be very bland ground beef. The cheese used in my wife's cheese enchiladas seemed only to be a mild Monterrey jack. Their red enchilada sauce was watery and clearly canned, and lacked much taste. Rice was fresh and firm, but also lacked any real flavor. Beans were also canned, and were very mild and too watery for our tastes. While the grand kids ate like pigs and declared their food to be "...the best we've ever had," my wife and I both found ourselves eating just to fill our stomachs...

All in all, the preparation, quality and seasoning of everyone's food really disappointed, and is the reason for this so-so review. The restaurant itself, as well as everyone we met there, was first-rate --- with three grand kids (all under age 8) in tow, we couldn't have asked for more help from our servers. I don't know how long the restaurant has been open, but I think, with some help in the kitchen, Sante Fe Grill has the potential to be a much better place to eat.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank RickSchlegel
“Terrible food”
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

Place looked clean except for the air conditioning ducts. The menu was so extensive makes you wonder how they can maintain quality. The waitress didn't even add up our check for us or give us a pen to sign the credit card slip.

Killen
“Santa Fe Grill - good value”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Visited Santa Fe Grill this week, was very impressed by their customer friendly admosphere and good food. This was a carry out order and for a very good price, included large bag of tortilla chips and dip. Very good value!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank mike a
Virginia
“Best Mexican Food in Suffolk!!!”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Clean restaurant, friendly staff and the food is delish!!! I love to make frequent visits to Santa Fe, my fav mexican restaurant. I have tried the others in town.....no comparsion on food and friendly staff! The salsa is wonderful, I wish they sold it by the bottle :-)

• Visited March 2012