“Excellent experience!”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Suffolk
Thomasville, North Carolina
“Excellent experience!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I booked three separate rooms for a wedding we were attending in the area. We arrived Saturday November 23 staying two nights. We were early but they had our rooms ready and allowed us to check in. The girl at the front desk, Karen, was extremely nice and informative. I had booked about three weeks in advance and at that time forgot to mention I needed a handicap room. So at the last minute I called to see what I could work out and spoke to Sonya and she eager to help accommodate me and worked it out for me. After the conversation she called me back and was apologetic and told me she couldn't work it out for all three rooms to be next to each other. I appreciated the gesture but wasn't a big deal to me since it was my fault for waiting till the last minute. I had an issue the first night with rowdy neighbors, laughing, beating on the door, slamming the door etc, I finally called after midnight to complain. They sent security right over and it was resolved. (No fault of theirs, but apparently no adults were staying in a room with 5 preteens/teenagers).
Everyone was so nice, hotel was very clean, and we hope to come back and stay again in the future. It was such a busy weekend for us I truly hate I didn't get more names so I could personally recognize them, as everyone seemed to go out of their way to be nice and very courteous to us.
The area is close to what looked like a fairly new shopping area. We ate at a Panera Bread after our arrival. Some family went to the Bed Bath and Beyond plus some other shops in the development to do some shopping.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dstrick9, General Manager at Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I am delighted you were able to join us at the Courtyard Marriott, Suffolk while in the area for a wedding. I apologize for the noise disturbances you faced, but encouraged by the staff response and ability to handle the situation. The individuals you mentioned are outstanding members of our hotel team who really enjoy taking care of our guests and I'm glad you had an opportunity to experience their hospitality. Thank you again and please stop by the next time you are in the area!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Apex, North Carolina, USA
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My stay at this hotel was perfect!!! From the time I checked in until the time I left everything was perfect! I travel frequently for business and tend to be a little critical about hotels. This hotel however was clean and very well maintained. I was most impressed with the friendly, courteous, efficient and accommodating staff. Every staff member that I encounter smiled and greeted me. Their customer service skills were impressive! The breakfast buffet had a good variety and it was easy to get in and out very quickly. The location has a good selection of restaurants and shopping and access to the Interstate was close by. When traveling to the Suffolk/Norfolk area, I will definitely return to this location and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dstrick9, General Manager at Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
I am so glad to hear that you found the Courtyard by Marriott, Suffolk to be a perfect choice for lodging in the area! We continue to strive toward service excellence and it is reassuring to know that it is recognized by our guests. Thank you as well for commenting on the cleanliness of the property. Our housekeeping and engineering teams work extremely hard to maintain the hotel on a daily basis and certainly appreciate the positive feedback. Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We all look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Suffolk!
N Virginia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed there last year for the Peanut Festival and loved it. Nice rooms, pool and jacuzzi. This year (10/12/2013) was not so good. There were many people there from some school related event. They were loud and disrespectful of the people who were trying to get a good nights sleep. They kept us up til 4am. We complained once but it did no good. They were even rowdy in the lounge at the main entrance so the hotel staff should have known to keep an eye on them. A lady at the front desk mentioned that groups of people like that are usually put on a separate floor from everyone else but that hadn't been done this time. I should also mention the repairman replacing a light bulb in the hall (at night) with his walkie-talkie turned all the way up. The only reason I gave them a 3 rating is because of my good stay there last year.

Room Tip: Overall this seems to be a good hotel if what happened to us is not a regular event.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jamie S
Dstrick9, General Manager at Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again at the Courtyard by Marriott, Suffolk. I am glad you were able to once again enjoy the events of the peanut festival, but certainly disappointed to here of the disturbances faced during the evening hours back at the hotel. I will be certain to address the appropriate etiquette expected in common areas with the proper staff to ensure all of our guests enjoy the comforts they seek when choosing our hotel. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back for Peanut Fest 2014!
Seattle
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were impressed with this Courtyard property and the staff is friendly and professional. The location, while in a business park, was ideal for us and there's a pricey steakhouse restaurant across the parking lot (didn't eat there) -- and many stores and eateries were a short mile drive away (including Harris Teeter, which we did shop at and recommend - for breakfast groceries!). Our spotless king with sofabed room was cozy but well-designed and included a mini-fridge and microwave. We liked the attractive room lighting and decor, and the bathroom was thoughtfully laid out with a tub-seating / shelf area and wide, expansive stone counter. The room was on the top floor, on the end, and there was minimal noise and foot traffic.

Some caveats: the breakfast wasn't included in the room rate (no matter the Marriott membership status), the strong smell of chlorine from the pool emanated throughout the hotel, the fitness equipment is dated, and there is only one elevator.

That said - for the affordable price and convenient location in the Norfolk area, we'd stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dstrick9, General Manager at Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
I truly appreciate the kind words in regard to the hotel and staff. Our team takes great pride in caring for each and every one of our guests by making them feel welcome and appreciated. I am glad your room was clean and comfortable and that you had an opportunity to visit the nearby shopping and dining options offered in the area. Thank you again for joining us and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Suffolk.
Smithfield, Virginia
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Just stayed here this past week as last minute business change had me zooming through the area, it's a really nice place! I had no idea how convenient Northern Suffolk is to the area as a whole.....other than Virginia Beach you can get to any of the major cities in the area within about 15 minutes!!! Great pool/jacuzzi combo, and even though there's is indoor I like the fact that they let you use the Springhill Suites' pool (which is literally RIGHT NEXT DOOR-we're talking like a 30 second walk) if u want as there's is an outdoor one!

I was staying on business, soy company picked up the tab, but it is prettying on par with most Marriott's, with one definite exception.....if u have the Marriott Reward points to use, definitely use them!!!! For some reason, this hotel is only a Marriott Category 2, which means most nights u can get it for 7500-10000 points, trust me, based on numerous ones I have stayed in, this hotel is EASILY on par with plenty of Category 4 & 5 Marriott's, which usually run about 20K-30K points for a night.

Only issue I had would be lack of free breakfast, but again this is more Marriott policy than this hotel's policy per se.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank edwahou
Dstrick9, General Manager at Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you during a recent business trip to the area. I am glad you found our location ideal for reaching all points of interest in the Hampton Roads/Tidewater region. In addition, If you want to stay close by, we are surrounded by excellent dining, shopping, movie theatres and fantastic golf. All within minutes of the hotel. You also mentioned having access to both an indoor and outdoor pool which gives our guest options when planning leisure time activity. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Suffolk!
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The evening manager and the staff were accommodating, caring and pleasant when I needed it most on my short trip! The room was more than comfortable and I wish I'd had more time to take advantage of their Jacuzzi tub! Thank you so much for your kindness! Hope you're enjoying your ruffle scarves!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Dstrick9, General Manager at Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm delighted we were able to accommodate you for this quick visit. Next time you will have to stay longer to experience all that the Courtyard Marriott Suffolk has to offer! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels when I am working in Newport News. Even though it is across the river, it is much more convenient than than trekking up to Oyster Point or Yorktown area or risking life and property in the Mercury Blvd area.

This CY has not yet had the "Bistro" conversion. Some CY road warriors seek these properties out as the bistro concept is not universally loved. Staff are friendly and courteous and I've never had any customer service issues.

The only negative is that the fitness center equipment is old and dated. The treadmills don't have individual TVs and (last week anyway) the overhead TV was not working.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dstrick9, General Manager at Courtyard Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for the feedback in regard to your most recent stay with us at the Courtyard Marriott, Suffolk. I'm pleased to hear that our team is courteous and attentive to your needs during your visits. I am looking into the fitness center equipment issues and look to bring resolution to the TV channel opportunities as well. Again, I appreciate any feedback that will help us continue to get better at being a true hospitality leader across all of Hampton Roads. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!