“the staff makes the difference between so-so and excellent”

TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Suffolk
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“the staff makes the difference between so-so and excellent”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Upon arrival to the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised at the spacious suite we were given and the wonderful large kitchenette with full-sized fridge and oven. We were scheduled to stay for several months, and the nice rooms made the prospect much more inviting. Both the indoor and outdoor pools are on the smaller side, but are well-maintained, and the daily continental breakfast is quite adequate. Every single desk attendant went out of their way the entire time to make our stay truly a great experience, with kindness and great attitudes, which makes a huge difference over an extended period. We did experience several small issues - our fridge needed servicing and there were some housekeeping issues and an overcharge, but the maintenance manager was wonderful and one of the general managers - Mr. Thomas Leviner - took time to sit down with me and genuinely listen to my complaint. He made it his personal mission to rectify the issues, and followed up with me the next day to be sure that everything had been taken care of. He is absolutely fantastic - very professional and efficient, as well as personable. He and his staff go the extra mile to do a great job. This hotel isn't perfect - but I would stay again ANY time I am in town, simply because of an amazingly competent staff, with a real desire for excellence. You guys are awesome, and provided us with an incredible stay!!

Room Tip: Rooms above the pool can be quite loud on weekends, but the large corner suites make up for it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
thomas l, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Jessica,

Thanks for your kind words about your stay. We pride our self in our spacious suites, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Hope you and your family visit us again when in the area. I am glad we were able to accommodate your needs.

Thanks,
AGM Suffolk VA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sterling, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel in August 2014. The workers at the front desk were very kind and very helpful. Upon arrival they gave us free snacks and the suite was very spacious fulfilling all of our needs with 3 young children. The free breakfast was great considering, it was free. There was free coffee and tea.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
thomas l, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Kids are always a joy at TOWNEPLACE! I am glad everyone had fun and enjoyed our breakfast, hot waffles for all. Cereal choice for adults and cereal choices for the kids.

Thanks from Team Suffolk
AGM TownePlace Suffolk
Gulfport, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was a first rate stay! I have stayed at the TownePlace Suites in Suffolk VA for the last three months and normally don't leave reviews, but felt compelled to leave one this time. The rates are fantastic and probably the best long term rates in the area. I stayed in a one room with kitchenette on the first floor. The refrigerator was a full size, with sufficient supply of kitchenware and cabinet space for single or double occupant. The kitchen also had a dishwasher and supply of paper towels and dishwashing supplies for both kitchen sink use and for the dishwasher. The room had an ample size desk with free wifi hookup and good selection of tv stations on the cable hookup that included several espn stations and HBO. The bedding and pillows were very clean and comfortable. The room's pull out sofa, chair, end tables, lights, and alarm/radio were all very new, modern looking and in good working order. The dresser and closet spaces throughout the room were more than enough for any extended stay for a couple. The bathroom was also clean and modern. But what made this stay so exceptional for me was the outstanding service provided by the house cleaning staff and front desk management staff. The team was led by their manager named Thomas who seemed to be there morning, noon, and night. He was always very friendly, helpful, and professional and along with his courteous staff are the primary reason I felt compelled to write this review. I really couldn't have picked a better location than this one for my extended stay. I've stayed at other locations in this area before, but none of them measure up to this location given the professional and courteous management staff, house cleaning and grounds cleaning staff. Room is exceptional and rate is outstanding. Will stay here again - hats off to Thomas and his staff - well done!

Room Tip: Two very good restaurants nearby next to Harris Teeter - one Italian and one Mexican. Also, check o...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
thomas l, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Mike,

I want to thank you for all of the Positive feedback. I am glad we were able to exceed all of your expectations.

Thanks, From Team Suffolk

AGM Suffolk TownePlace
Gorham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I always stay at Marriott Hotels...regular Marriotts, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, Courtyard and Town Place Suites. I recognize that Town Place Suites is not at the top as far as the Marriott Hotel chains go, but we have stayed at some that are very nice (Winchester and Richmond VA are both great). Unfortunately, the Town Place Suites in Suffolk, VA is not among those that I would call nice. We arrived at night, and it was difficult to find the entrance to the hotel. We could see the hotel and thought that we had to drive around the side to get into the parking lot. The drive we encountered was exit only, and we had to turn around and make another stab at finding the entrance. We finally figured out that we could get into the parking lot by entering by the River Stone Chop House. There was no lighting here and signage indicating that this was the entrance despite the fact that there were two Marriott Hotels here (it was also the entrance for the Courtyard). The clerk gave us keys to our very tiny studio, and the keys would not open the door. The clerk had to open the door for us with his master key. Our room keys were slipped under the door some time that night. Our room was really not clean...kitchen floor was sticky and the fridge had not been wiped out. There were splashes of coffee on the coffee maker and someone else's hair clippings in the bathroom drawer (ewww). Fortunately the bed did look clean, and I made to sure to look before I got in! During the weekend, housekeeping did not replenish anything that ran out...tea bags, salt, dish detergent etc., and we had to go looking for these things ourselves. On Sunday, the maid left half the number of towels we had been getting, no clean dish cloth or dish towel and no dish detergent. I had to wipe out both the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink myself. The staff members I did encounter were pleasant, but I would not recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Suzanne F
thomas l, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
First I would like to apologize that your experience started bad just getting into the entrance. Then your room did not meet your standards or ours. Our team takes great pride in housekeeping so I wish we could have taken care of your issues. But at the same time we should have had it correct from the start of you first walking in your room. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like to discuss further.

AGM TownePlace Suffolk VA
USA
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I selected this hotel over the others in the area because the web site stated it offered free breakfast. It is not until you drill down further (which I did not do until I got home after my stay) that it actually says "continental breakfast". In my opinion this should be stated up front so as not to set up expectations.

There were 5 choices of cereal (3 kids, cheerios, raisin bran and corn flakes), white & brown breads, bagels, mix with hot water cereals, yogurts, apples, bananas, milk (skim, 2%, whole), packaged muffins and cold hard boiled eggs. Which for a continental breakfast is good, but was not the full breakfast I was expecting.

Over all the hotel is as per expected, clean rooms, nice staff. But because I am a breakfast eater I will try another hotel if I am in the area again.

Room Tip: Only serves continental breakfast. Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel. Rooms overlooki...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
thomas l, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feed back. I am sorry our breakfast did not meet your needs. I would love for you to give us another chance if in the area. Our sister hotel next door does offer a breakfast buffet and omelet station for a fair price. Thank you for the compliments on our rooms and our staff. We do have a great team!

Thanks again for staying at Townplace Suites
Grove, Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This motel gave me a great rate for an extended stay and the rooms were modern and clean. I got a 2 bedroom suite and shared it with a co-worker and the rooms were relatively soundproof. Refrigerator, microwave, stove and multiple tvs made it like a mini-apartment. Breakfast was included in the mornings and while it wasn't anything special it was a nice amenity. There is a Wal-Mart and other stores as well as restaurants nearby. The Motel also has security on patrol at night so your vehicle is safe. I'd recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Corner Suites offer the best quiet area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
thomas l, Manager at TownePlace Suites Suffolk Chesapeake, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thanks, I am glad you and your co worker enjoyed your stay with us at TownPlace. It sounds like our kitchen met all of your needs. Yes, we do have several new restaurants that have recently opened and more to come in the area. The Wal-Mart less than half a mile away make it nice for travelers here for a few days to long term. I am glad you felt safe with our security on property yes inside and outside on patrols.

Thanks again from our entire staff,
Thomas
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I did enjoy my stay here! The management greeted guests with fresh cookies, hot tea, coffee and cocoa and a good breakfast in the morning. The facility was basically clean and modern in appearance. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your review and positive feed back, I hope you come back again. Being a local your opinion is very valuable to us.

Thanks from our entire staff,
Thomas