“Emphasis on rustic”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Syria
Graves Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Syria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Graves Mountain Lodge offers a family-style getaway in a tremendously scenic part of Virginia. I pinched myself each morning when I stepped out the door and saw the slopes and valleys stretching out in front of me. Its a great spot for outdoor activities with friends and family. All this is to say that you might come to the Lodge because you don't want to be somewhere else. If your goal is to get away from the rat race, you can get away from it here. If you long for a destination where you can be pampered with modern amenities, look elsewhere. Expectations should be realistic: meals are hearty and tasty (if I had a dish of apple butter on the table at every meal at home, I'd be obese) but not at all refined. Accommodations are dated and tattered, but quite sufficient for a good night's sleep after fishing, hiking or laughing with relatives. The stinkbugs aren't a lot of fun, but the management does what the can to abate them, and as farmers they're trying to solve the problem as much as anybody else. I'd love to go back in the fall when leaves are changing. I probably will, and next time, with the dog.

Room Tip: Every cabin, etc., is really different. If you have a pet, or make sure you want to stay away from p...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Frontoffice S, Front Office Staff at Graves Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thanks for your review. You hit the nail on the head - we're all about beautiful scenery, peaceful, rustic accommodations, and bountiful food. Though not elegant, everything is fresh and made from scratch.

We think of ourselves as comparable to a hotel inside the national park: the idea is to be in a quiet place with all the details taken care of, so that you can spend more time hiking, fishing, riding, and enjoying the outdoors. And it doesn't hurt to come home to an excellent dinner and a rocking chair on the porch at the end of the day.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Have a family history of visiting around the time of the Apple fest. Not many places to stay in Syria but this place is what we where looking for. Rustic and just is and has a true country feel. Great place to get away to. Food (comfort & Southern)…. AWESOME!! Oh and the people around town (well the General store & fruit stands/barns) VERY welcoming/friendly!
The only negatives…Very expensive in October, No phones, (I think just for emergency purposes a phone should be available in your room seeing how there is NO cell phone service in the area.) and I think a TV would be a nice option. I still had a great time!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Frontoffice S, Front Office Worker at Graves Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

I'm glad you enjoy staying here - we agree that our rustic feel is one of our best assets. It's hard to find a place nowadays where you can truly get away. I'll make sure to pass along your compliments to the kitchen and store staff.

Next time you're making a reservation, feel free to ask for a room with a TV - we have them in the Hilltop Motel (same cost as the Ridgecrest Motel) and in a few of our cabins.

Thanks for your review, and we look forward to seeing you back this Fall.

Sarah Huelskoetter (Front Office Worker)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I visited Graves Mountain Lodge with a group this past weekend, it was actually opening weekend for the lodge. I found the lodge very warm and inviting. We had a roaring fire going in our meeting room and were served very good food. All the food you can eat is included in the price of the room. The meals are served family style with plenty of homemade apple side dishes. Everyone that worked there was very nice and accommodating. I had a great time, however, the rooms were dated and really need to be refurbished. No closet, no blow dryer, I would not take a bath in the tub. It looked like either a mold problem or a stain that they can’t get out. Towels were thin, blankets had holes. LOL it was kind of funny, my friend was shocked. They have a stink bug problem, which they said was common in that area of the country. So there are bugs flying around the room. But with all this being said, it was still fun and not that bad. The rooms just need to be updated.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jackie S
Frontoffice S, Front Office Manager at Graves Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thank you for your review!
A lot of groups come back for the food alone, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Yes, the stinkbugs are bothersome in the spring and fall, though luckily they don't do anything except crawl around. They've only been in our area for 3-4 years, so we're always trying out new treatments and techniques to manage (and eventually eradicate) them.
We love hosting conferences and groups - we in the office get the opportunity to talk to people from all cross-sections of life.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband & I have just returned from a "Valentine's Weekend" at Graves Mountain Lodge. I am not a fan of giving bad publicity after only visting a place once, but our experience was such that we never plan to return. We stayed at Poplar Lodge which consisted of one room - no closet (there were hooks and a few hangers on the hooks) but only one nightstand that had a small drawer and the bottom cabinet had blankets. The bottom cabinet did not close properly so it was hanging open the whole time we were there. There was no place to put your clothes - there was not a stand for your suitcase. There was one chair - no phone - no TV (which we did not mind) - no cell phone reception - no blowdryer - but LOTS of stink bugs! The lamps above the bed met in the middle of the wall where they were 'plugged in' to the wall socket, so when you looked up from the bed you could see the wires from the lamps hanging there....and one lamp did not work properly....the sink was stopped up, there were no hand towels and the bath towels were the most 'tired' dingy towels I have seen which made me feel very uncomfortable using them. There were cobwebs in the corners and on the lamps - when I pulled down the bed covers I was greeted with a long dark hair on the sheet...we were not impressed.
The 'Valentine's Dinner' and Breakfast was buffet style - the service was friendly & good - but the food was not the greatest quality - think Country Buffet and you have an idea.
I believe the biggest issue I had was when I told the owner in a very nice manner about the problems in the room. Ms. Graves was defensive and dismissvie - she really did not want to beleive the room was in such bad shape. She did say there was a phone in the hallway and I just did not read the sign telling us. She said they never had blowdryers in the room and she just brought one with her when she traveled and thought everyone did that and not having a blowdryer was 'just country'. I really took offense to this remark. This woman does not know my backgound and does not know my experiences with 'country'. To blame not having basic neccessities such as a blowdryer, to being 'country' is absolutely insulting to what 'country' is. To also expect no bugs, a clean room, and a place to at least put our clothes is not asking too much.
I would never reccommend this property to anyone. I believe the attitude of the owner of not wanting 'to hear it' adds to the irritation I felt.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Deborah D

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had a bad experience here. All of your comments have been noted and we're doing what we can to act upon them.

Graves' Mountain Lodge is a rustic mountain retreat, comparable to the cabins you'll find in the Shenandoah National Park. As such, we tend to focus on providing good service, warm hospitality, and a relaxed atmosphere before modern, kitted-out rooms. I am sorry that you were led to expect a more upscale resort accommodation and that you were uncomfortable. I also apologize that you felt your complaints were not properly treated.

We have checked our listings to make sure the language we use includes adjectives such as "rustic" instead of "resort" to help future guests avoid getting the wrong impression.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

On a recent trip to Virginia, my in-laws talked us into visiting this wonderful, out of the way visit. Graves Mountain Lodge is worth the trip if you want to spend time in the countryside in the midst of mountains. There is a cool creek flowing through the property where you can kick off your shoes and cool your feet. The Lodge is in the middle of a scenic paradise and it is worth at least a day to explore the countryside. We weren't able to spend as much times as we would have liked but we did manage to eat at the Lodge Restaurant. The food was exceptional with a wonderful buffet. Chicken, Baked Ham and beef were the entrée along with a large choice of side dishes, Fresh beans, potatoes, corn, salad along with cornbread and rolls made our meal complete. On the day we were there they had fresh baked apple cobbler that was to die for. Take a break from the city life and try this place out. It will make you long for the "good old days".

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I grew up on the other side of the mountain from Graves and have always loved that area. Graves is always clean and inviting. The food is to die for and the festivals are always fun. The apple festival is my favorite and I love the good times there. I would highly recommend this place for anyone of any age. Just the quietness of the mountains and the wonderfully nice people is always a treat!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2013

They make some really great food here. The women of my church have used this as a conference/retreat center for the last few years. There are several separate buildings to accommodate different reasons people are there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Reb M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Syria
The Mimslyn Inn
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Graves Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!