“Not what I expected”

Cuisines: Seafood
Mechnicsville, VA
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

After hearing good things from friends about this place my wife and I decided to try it out.
While neither of us care for raw shellfish, I ordered the crab cake and my wife got burger sliders. Well, the crab cake was good but it was set on top of French bread toast with some roulade and that's it. The sliders were dry and over cooked and came with nothing. She had a glass of wine and I had a beer. The tap including tax and tip was like $35. If you want to eat oysters and drink this is the place but if you want other menu items, look elsewhere.

• Visited September 2013

Locust Hill, Virginia
“Great ambiance, limited menu - but great oysters”
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I've eaten at Merrior (the alter ego of RRO) twice now - once for the oysters and a beer, the 2nd time for a lobster roll and a beer (there seems to be a common thread here. . .). The food on both occasions was very good - but the view and the fresh bay air no doubt skewed my perception. I admit that the somewhat hidden location of the restaurant (a slightly grandiose description) only adds to its charm. The cooks seem to be limited to a trio of garden-variety propane grills under an awning, hence the limited menu, which appears to have been printed on brown paper bags. An adjacent marina provides entertainment for the nautically-inclined, as boats, both powered and sail, migrate both in and out on a typical weekend. Parking is informal and limited - so it's best to arrive well in advance of typical mealtimes, to get a prime parking slot - not to mention a prime seat. Speaking of seating, there are only a few (either picnic tables or patio furniture) in the shade, while most of the seats with the best views are in full sun. After the seafood and beer, you may wander down closer to the water and assume a rest position on the half-dozen or so Adirondack seats nearer the pier - and the water. It's likely (but not confirmed) that there are accommodations for transient boaters, and there are certainly shallow anchorages, so you may well approach from the water, as well as from landside. All in all, a great place to take a break from the rigors of boating.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank dhoulette
Hollywood, Maryland
“Not a restaurant but a great supplier of wonderful oysters! The tasting room is called Merrior.”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We have had their oysters for many occasions - crab feast, Thanksgiving, birthdays and always been very pleased. If you order a shipment to be freighted, they arrive in a cooler with dry ice and will stay alive in your fridge for much longer than I ever thought!

We have had them raw, grilled....always delicious and our guests think so, too!

• Visited July 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“The best gourmet oyster dive and oysters in the world, yes the world.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Merrior, and its home at Locklies Marina is off the charts good. They've been visited by the best chefs in American, sell to great restaurants up and down the East Coast and have a delightful restuarant on the water at the marina that's not to be missed if you're a foodie, a water view lover and want a special lunch or dinner with friends. I'd give them six stars if I could.

Visited August 2013
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Seafood sliders and local beer samplers”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Such a relaxing Monday afternoon on the sand near the water. Great food, beer and the company of my husband!

Such a fun place. We learned that they ship oysters all over the country. I believe the restaurant is called Merrior.

Visited June 2013