“Can't say enough to steer clear of Pilot House!”
Review of Pilot House Inn

Pilot House Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Topping
Pilot House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Topping
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Pilot House one night and wished we hadn't. We went online to check rates and found they had a $45 rate during the week. When we called to make our reservations, we were told that the rate was $55. We didn't argue but printed out the page and took it with us. At check in we were told that they don't even have a website! HUH? We produced the page and were told that they had been told by others that there was a website but nobody had printed it out. They would now try to find it and get rid of it. We got the $45 rate anyway.
After reaching our room, we felt that they should have paid us to stay there.
The dark green carpet was matted and the whole room smelled of some kind of cleaner that was trying to hide other smells.
Lighting consisted of bare florescent tubes in the ceiling.
The tub was scarred, the faucet had some kind of white corrosion on it.
The sink did not drain well.
There was no room phone or clock.
The furniture was old and shabby.
The bedspread was old, shabby and had stains.
We had no blanket and didn't want to use the bedspread.
***The king size bed looked like a sagging cardboard box which proved to be horrible. It had inner springs that weren't "inner" anymore. We found that the springs hurt so we folded up the nasty bedspread and put it under the sheet. Upon doing this we saw that there was a huge stain on the mattress that was the size of a basketball and looked to be caused by someone not using protection during their monthly period. The mattress must have been there since the place opened and who knows what else it had in it!
We considered emptying our car and sleeping in it instead but decided with the bedspread between us and the mattress, we would give it a try.
We kept our socks on the whole time, not wishing to touch anything with our bare feet. After finally lying down, we turned out the lights and found that we were staring at a ceiling full of those stick on glow-in the dark stars, planets and asteroids. So tacky. My kids had these when they were little.
We figured we would just close our eyes and solve that problem. However.....just then the guy next door decided to play his electric guitar. We had had enough and pounded on the wall. This seemed to do the trick and we tried to sleep. That was interrupted at 6am by the contractor who started up his diesel truck and let it idle for 20 minutes before leaving.
We gave up and headed out, never to return again!
The only plus was that there was a refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lakeview5

Reviewed 18 April 2012

My mother sold her house 5 years ago,and we had to stay 2 nights at the pilot house. The room was comfortable,and clean. She liked that there was a buffet and we enjoyed the time we were there. I hope to go back there someday.
I had to add a incorrect date to post this review. We actually stayed there around january 5th,2007.

Room Tip: Get a room closer to the office.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2011

A worn out shamble of a restaurant trying to keep up with the compatition.There was a want to be steam table with not much sellection ,or one could order from the shabby selection of hoe hum food.The atmosphere was ill chosen,and seemed to be catering to a red neck group who were more interested in a quick hamberger that any quality of food.The service was fairly good,but I won't go back again.The prices for what one receives are too high.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bill R
Reviewed 22 August 2011

This is a small motel that is in the process of slowly renovating their rooms. Ask for rooms in the front building, we had room 101, which was updated and clean. Our friends were moved without us being notified to a smoking room because the non-smoking room they were holding had airconditioning issues. Their room was old and smelled strong of smoke. My friend did get a refund after making a call upon returning home, which was very accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for room 101, or at least a newly renovated one.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeacefulSpirit4
Reviewed 10 July 2010

My boyfriend and I brought the boat down to Deltaville to fish, we wanted to stay overnight and the friendly people from J&W Seafood recommended this place, The Pilot House. $65 was not bad at all considering the Deltaville Dockside Inn wanted $89.. staff at this hotel was very friendly and we were able to check-in at 2 (compared to the 4 o'clock check-in time at most hotels, check-out time is 12 noon when most hotels are 10 or 11!) The hotel has its own restaurant where the office is. Our room was a pretty good size, kinda had an old-fashioned look but I liked it. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are in the Middlesex County area looking for a place to stay! It isn't a Hilton but it is definitely close to a Hilton compared to the biggest dump motel I just stayed in last week in the Outer Banks!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank obxjeepgurl88
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Stayed in a double room with kids. The room was good for the price and equiped with cable, Fridge, Phone and wireless internet.

Would stay again. Our room looked like it had been redone in the last year. We went to visits friends at Christmas. It was night to have a place of our own to goto.

There is a resturant for checkin- the food was good . We had the Breakfast buffet and the kids ate all they wanted. The wait staff was friendly and countryfied, my kids liked the attention they gave.

The hotel is probably a 3 star- but well worth the $55 I paid to keep me from staying at my mother-in-laws.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Wild_Kids_WIfe
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I've stayed in hotel and motels all over the world and even though this place was not the ritziest, it wasn't the worst either. My wife's cousin throws a beach party/picnic at Beverly Beach which is just down the road from this motel every Fourth of July. And we along with our extended family have stayed at the Pilot House on many ocassions. With the exception of the place being old, the smell of cigarette smoke in the rooms, and the old bedspreads that smell and have cigarette burns, we found the rooms to be quite adequate considering all else. With the lights out the ceilings look like you're sleeping outdoors under the stars. (Which I liked) But the picture of the glowing palm tree in the room needs to go. The place could use a facelift, however I'll still be returning there this year for the Fourth of July. And I'll be bringing friends this time as well.
P.S. They serve an excellant breakfast buffet in the restaurant and the staff there was very nice. They tried hard to make sure our stay was pleasant and accomodating!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Iewills

Been to Pilot House Inn? Share your experiences!