“The good, bad, and ugly”

Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Troutville
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This Red Roof appears significantly nicer than many other Red Roof properties, even renovated ones. The lobby is spacious and nice; they seem to have a pool or something like that (I didn't use it), and the rooms are off interior corridors. I think Red Roof took over the property from another brand, since most Red Roofs I've seen have exterior corridors, no pool, and not much of a lobby at all.

A closer look reveals some significant wear and tear - not terrible, but noticeable. Stains on carpets and walls; worn furnishings and doors. The elevator was fine, though dirty with quite a few crumbs from something. I don't blame them, it was probably an inconsiderate guest.

My bed was comfortable enough and there were decent amenities in my "king suite" - mini fridge, coffee maker, extra chair and table, and free long distance (nice). Free wifi and breakfast.

But for every nice feature there was something that took away from the enjoyment. The Wifi was unsecured and there was no ethernet option. Breakfast had very few choices; I think I've only had fewer choices at a Days Inn once, when donuts and juice were all that was offered. Here, there were 2 types of cold cereal, 2 types of hot (add water for oatmeal or grits), a type of mini muffin, a single type of pastry, a couple type of bread, and a couple types of juice. There was a good coffeemaker, though.

The shower was good but strange. The more you turned the knob, the colder it got. You had to turn it only a little to get the hottest water. Lighting in the sink area was poor - it was rather dim. I get the cost-savings with CFLs but this was simply inadequate. They needed more powerful CFLs or maybe some tube fluorescents.

The surfaces of the furniture and desk/table had a greasy feel to them. They had clearly been wiped down, but perhaps not with a cloth that had been in fresh solution, or even the right kind of solution. Not sure.

The heating was difficult to get right. First, there was no auto fan setting. It was loud, and either ran all the time or you could turn it off and not run it at all. The thermostat was iffy. It would go from too warm to too cold in its swing.

Many would consider what I have to say next the worst of all. I didn't let it bother me too much, but they clearly have a problem with what is known as stinkbugs, or shield bugs. While working on my laptop, one got right on my wrist. I flicked it off and eventually tracked it down and dispatched it. I later found another dead one on the carpet under the desk. Those were the only two I saw, but I was a little surprised, thinking that being on the 2nd floor, I might not as likely encounter bugs. But I did.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 January 2014

ive stayed at alot of red roofs...this is absolute the best.....the front desk lady (melissa) was so helpful and bubbly ....made us feel like a home away from home..u dont find ppl with her down home personality...the room was great...the pool was excellent...breakfast was great.....we will be coming bk

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Very friendly at the reception. Good breakfast. Quiet room. Reception said she gave me a room near an exit door because I had a dog with me. That is the kind of consideration that makes me believe a hotel that says it is pet-friendly, really IS pet-friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 December 2013

It is gross. It is dirty and old. The carpet has so many spots. I looked for bed bugs, but I didn't see any. I stay in red roofs often, and I usually am very impressed. Unfortunately, I banked on the red roof name and didn't check trip advisor before stopping here. I won't make that mistake again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Very friendly staff, reasonable rates, and a nice room. One of the best values for a pet friendly hotel.The staff was very helpful recommending place to eat. Check out was fast. I will be staying here on my return trip.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

I wanted to like this place but that just didn't work out. Inside the front desk was cluttered with a sign indicating that the pool was closed. The elevator ride to the room was reminiscent of a bad carnival ride because of the noises it made as it ascended. Sadly, the elevator was cleaner than the room. The carpet (in the room) had white stains on it, the popcorn ceiling was falling down in several places, and the bathroom fan sounded like it was on its last leg. The bathtub had mildew all over (I decided to pass on the shower). The bed was the worst part... Yellow stain and "hair" at the head end of the bed. Gross. If this is a hit or miss hotel I guess I missed this time.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

With a great price,awesome staff,and pet friendly,you can't beat this hotel.I'm s Pilot /Escort vehicle and stay at least 150 nights a year in hotels.I appreciated their customer service and their 24 hour single cup coffee and espresso machine.

• Stayed: December 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutville
Holiday Inn Express Troutville-Roanoke North
Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View
Sleep Inn Tanglewood
Sleep Inn Tanglewood
#21 of 40 in Roanoke

Been to Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville? Share your experiences!