“Nothing to write home about.”

Tysons Corner Marriott
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Reviewed 28 April 2014

To summarize our experience: customer service is lost in translation, rooms are adequate.

We have have arrived at around 2:00 PM and our room was not ready. Check-in time is 4:00 PM, but I thought that it was a bit odd that by 2:00 PM our room was not ready. We were not alone waiting. I noticed that other people were sitting in the lobby chatting about their room not being ready. Our relatives and I sat at the bar and drank some coffee (sic! a cup of single cold and burned espresso is $4 plus tip. I re-ordered, alas, with the same deplorable temperature results). Our relatives had arrived a day earlier, so we had time to catch up. The staff of the cafe/bar is not particularly well-trained in what they do. First, you get greeted by 3 people swarming around you. Then they run away, then they come back in turns and ask if you need something even after you place your order. They pose a question, do not acknowledge the answer but just move to another customer without as much as looking at you. I ordered, but my relatives did not, and for some reason, they were not asked if they wanted anything. And there were a total of 6 people in the entire cafe. I can imagine what it is like to be served there when they have more visitors!

I decided to check on the status of cleaning at 3:45 PM and was informed that it would take another 45 minutes to have our room ready, that is it would be 4:30 at the earliest. However, there were other rooms, similar to ours, just not on the same floor as those where our family was staying. We agreed to take the room that was ready.

The staff of the hotel was very nice, but everybody seemed to be utterly lost and confused about their duties. They all looked very nervous and uttered something about doing their best to help. They could not find my reservation, it turns out that they were looking by my first name from my ID :) They promised to call me when the room would be ready. They did not. They obviously did not know how to handle a line of people. There were many people just waiting to be checked in.

I suppose it is improper to expect something in return for a mishap, but no offer was made. We had to pay for parking, no free wifi in the room, not even drinking water is available.

Overall, this was far from a disaster, and the room was clean and everything was in good shape, but there is definitely a lack of adequate customer service. Again, the personnel was nice, just not completely ready to service the front desk.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel in advance and be specific about what you need. Make sure to get an answer!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
TCHotelManager, Manager at Tysons Corner Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review to TripAdvisor about the experience you had during a stay with us. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. Our hotel only offers complimentary wifi in our lobby. And in addtion, we have complimentary computers in our business center, We will address the issues with the appropriate departments in order to prevent this from happening in the future. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about this and will do our best to make it right. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

TC Marriott Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 10 nights last month during my business trip. Overall, l Would say that it is OK .Some pros and cons.
Pros :
- Situated beside Leesburg Pike - easy access to expressway
- Within Walking distance to Tysons Corner shopping mall and good restaurant like Chima.
- Hotel staffs are friendly and helpful
- Room is clean, decent in size with comfy bed.
Cons:
- Very limited variety in buffet breakfast during my 10 days stay at the hotel, the food is exactly the same everyday!
- some basic hotel guest travel kit is not provided in the room, like room slipper, facial cotton, colton bud.

l also find it very awkward and unprofessional for the waitresses of restaurant serving buffet breakfast to charge a default amount of tipping in our breakfast bill just to ensure hotel guest does not miss the tipping when signing the cheque. Although this was not consistently printed on the bill (some days printed in the bill), the tipping amount should somehow be decided by the hotel guest.

Room Tip: Don't take any room at second floor, same floor as the pool. My colleague stayed at that floor a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
TCHotelManager, Manager at Tysons Corner Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review to TripAdvisor about the experience you had during a stay with us. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. We will address the issues with the appropriate departments in order to prevent this from happening in the future. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit

TC Marriott Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 March 2014

This hotel was clean, comfortable and within walking distance to great restaurants and shopping. The rooms were nicely appointed and staff was very friendly. The lounge on main floor was a convenient place to meet friends and have a glass of wine. Forgot the bartenders name but she was outstanding!

Room Tip: Chima restaurant is about 100 yards away and was very enjoyable
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I’ve stayed at this Marriott quite a bit over the last few years. It finally got a sorely needed refurbishment about a year or two ago and it is now quite nice. All of the furnishings and fixtures are new. The rooms might be a bit small but everything is comfortable. A nice place once again.

They now charge $6 a night for parking which seems to be like piling on given that they are not exactly pressed for space like an urban hotel.

Plenty of restaurants nearby. The surrounding area is not particularly pedestrian friendly so even though the restaurants are close, it is safer to stick with the car. Leesburg Pike is a traffic mess around rush hour and anytime near the holidays.

Room Tip: Rooms fcing the mall are quietest.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I chose this hotel for the American Girl package!! We were celebrating my daughter's 8th birthday with a trip to American Girl and it was definitely worth every penny!! The hotel was beautiful, the staff was professional and friendly, and the pool was amazing!!

The "American Girl" package included a travel bed, free parking, and free breakfast for the children! I paid an extra $25 for another bed for my second daughter. The beds are adorable and they were wrapped with an extra gift for the birthday girl and a personalized letter for her! She loved it!

Tania checked us in upon arrival and was FABULOUS!!! She was so friendly and helpful!! She surprised both of my girls with tiaras and made sure we were well taken care of!!! She was amazing!!

I would definitely return to this hotel and I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to friends!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristineg4
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel has a good location, next to the Tysons Corner shopping mall. There was no bottle water at checking in, or in the room. The person checked me in ask me to get the breakfast coupon next morning (first time happen to me). When I stopped by the front dest next morning, they asked me why I didn't receive it last night? ... A small training or management issues I guess. The room is in average size, nothing really special. The breakfast at the lobby was good, with good service. The EL was closed on Sat, so no comment there. Overall, it was a ok stay. May try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
TCHotelManager, Manager at Tysons Corner Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for giving us your feedback regarding your recent stay. We will address your comments with our staff and use them to improve our guest service. We appreciate your review and the compliments given on the food served in our restaurant. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about this and will do our best to make it right

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here in late December on my way further south. The hotel could not be more conveniently located off the Beltway. It is right off the exit ramp. Since I was here to stay on my way to somewhere else, I can't say if it is conveniently located to DC or not. However, if you're here to shop at Tyson's Corners, this is the place to stay. It is basically right across Leesburg Pike from the mall.

We had a room on the 12th floor, and it offered a great view of the Beltway and surrounding area, so it was interesting to look down on te post-holiday hustle and bustle.

The lobby is very large and attrative. Check-in was quick, and the staff was friendly. Since we stayed on a points offer, our parking fee was waived. Parking access is gate controlled. There is a surface lot, and two levels of structured parking. However, if you have a large vehicle, clearance is very limited in the structured parking levels. One of teh nice things about the parking is that the hotel elevator connected directly to the parking area, without the need to transfer in the lobby.

Our room was clean and comfortable enough, but seemed a bit tight for four people. If spending any length of time with two or more people, I think that you may want to consider two rooms.

The biggest annoyance for me was having to pay for internet. Most competing hotels incloude these services in the room rate. It just feels like you're being nickeled and dimed, especially if most guests have to pay for parking.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher level, to allow more separation from the road noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family