“The Little Touches Make This Hotel a Gem!”

Tysons Corner Marriott
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Richmond, Virginia
“The Little Touches Make This Hotel a Gem!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Location: Great! Right off of Interstate 495 (The Beltway) and Route 7. Next to a big mall (Tysons Corner Mall) that offers many shops, restaurants, and movie theaters. There are also many restaurants and shops along Route 7 as well.

Service: Have to give a shout out to Thomas, one of the front desk clerks. Thomas checked me in and I interacted with him one evening when I was looking for a quiet place to do work. On both occasions, Thomas was extremely courteous, friendly, helpful, and he possessed great attention to detail.

The housekeepers with whom I interacted were also very courteous and friendly.

Rooms: Being in the Washington D.C. area and being from the D.C. area, I liked how the photographs in the room were all related to D.C. (For example: pictures of the Jefferson Memorial or Lincoln Memorial).

The rooms were very clean, the showers had good water pressure, and windows offered nice views. I liked how the area around the windows were a little rounded, which offered a little bit more space and better views. The t.v. was big and offered a variety of cable options.

Meeting Rooms: The meeting rooms offered nice versatility. Big rooms that could accommodate hundreds to more intimate rooms that could accommodate fewer participants.

Food: Great! I've eaten at quite a few Marriott and the food at this property was the best by far! The bar/restaurant offered a nice variety of food and prepared well.

Fitness area: Spacious, nice selection of machines and free weights. Surprisingly large pool.

Parking area: Again, I was surprised by how big the parking area was as well.

I really loved this hotel! Probably the nicest Marriott I've stayed in, in the U.S. Consistently good in many different areas.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My family and I stayed here for one night and were not disappointed. As a gold elite member, we were upgraded to a junior suite and had a roll away bed brought up to the room at no additional charge, which meant the kids each had a bed of their own, leaving the comfy king size bed for me and "mama bear". We had dinner and dessert in the concierge room, which provided exceptional food and service. The manager in the concierge room the night of 5/8/2014 was one of the most helpful Marriott employees I've ever had the opportunity to speak with. He helped us make arrangements to get to the nearby mall (5 minute walk) and provided really useful information when we asked questions about transportation, directions, and the local area. He clearly was there to help the guests and we appreciated it.

Our junior suite was very comfortable and clean, complete with a refrigerator, excellent air conditioning, and strong wi-fi. We ordered extra towels, blankets, and pillows, all of which were delivered in minutes. I can't take anything away from this property in the area of service.

I've been a road warrior business traveler for more than 20 years and this staff is dedicated to making their guests comfortable, which is really something that goes a long way when I'm on holiday. Just because I show up in flip flops and a t-shirt with my family on a weeknight, doesn't mean I won't remember the good service the next time I'm in town on business in a suit and using my expense account. If you treat me well when I don't look like your typical snooty business traveler (and believe me, they are everywhere in the DC area), I'll be back, which is my plan.

As mentioned previously, the mall is a 5 minute walk, lots of restaurants nearby, the metro station and Trader Joe's are less than 5 minutes by car. Parking is $6. This is a great location if you need to be in DC or Georgetown, but want to be slightly removed from the madness. Will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Great concierge lounge. One of the most customer focused in the Marriott chain. Very well managed!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The staff was friendly and hotel looked great. Room was very nice, but small for 2 beds and bathroom was also small. The bed was very comfortable. Shuttle service was excellent to and from the mall. Breakfast was great with made to order omelets and waffles.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have just spent 4 nights in this hotel and found it very agreable. When you travel transcontinental for work, the last thing you want is any burden due to issues caused by inadequate service. This does not happen at this hotel: Every aspect of it is what you expect: comfort of the bedroom and bathroom and the A/C unit is quiet. i also had two meals at the hotel and they were of very good quality. All in all, I recommend this hotel heartily.

Room Tip: My room was on the sixth floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Philippe T
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 30 April 2014

the title says it all...this gotta be a property from the 80ties. Tough to keep it up to date. Rooms are small. 2nd floor is odd with an open swimming pool (?). Basically ...there is no wall between the hallways and the pool. Needless to say that the humidity goes into the rooms in the 2nd and 3rd floor and it doesnt smell that great with all the humidity from the pool water etc..The decor is halfway updated..but the place needs a full make-over.

Regardless..the service is great..it has probably one of the best Hotel gymns I have seen ..food is very good..and the location is near the mall.On the downside the location is noisy as well..surrounded by highways etc...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were checked-in by a korean looking man who doesnt smile!We asked about the free shuttle to the train station. He said Only on WEEKENDS! We spent a fortune going to and from the city by taxis only to find out during our last day that they Do Provide 7 days a week!!! How could they allow a staff to man the reception when he aint got a clue on whats happening in the hotel!! In the end we didnt save at all, we should just have stayed in the downtown area..
We had dinner in the restaurant lobby, we were served by an african looking man who was the exact opposite of the word enthusiastic. After meal we asked for toothpicks only to be told- they dont have any in the entire hotel!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
TCHotelManager, Manager at Tysons Corner Marriott, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for sending a review of your experience to TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate the feedback you have given and I apologize that your stay was disappointing. I would like to speak to you about the service you received during your stay. Please contact the hotel at 703-506-2444.

Kind regards,

Vikas Lalwani
Director Of Hotel Operations - Rooms
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I been staying at this Marriott off and on for over five years. When I'm in the DC area this is one of two properties that I like to stay at for the ease of getting into the city. First I have to give a shout out to Thomas McCormick who was able to get me into the hotel at the last moment. He was very helpful and made my trip that much easier. While the hotel is older, the rooms are clean and the onsite restaurant is new and has a varied menu. I do miss Shula's Steakhouse though. I've looked at the other reviews and I'm surprised to see negative comments as I have had nothing but the best service every time I have stayed here. If I had to think of what needed improvement, I'd say that the furnishings in the room are due for a refresh in a couple of years. However the beds are comfortable and the linens fresh.

Room Tip: Try to get on the Concierge Floor and get Lounge Access. Breakfast Buffet is good too.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business