“Disappointed.” 2 of 5 bubbles

American Girl Bistro
Ranked #61 of 94 Restaurants in Tysons Corner
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We had a 4:00 reservation not seated until 4:30. Not acceptable when dining with children (in my opinion). Our server was friendly enough but service was horrendous. Food was average, pretty much what I expected for the price. Main course was put down before we could finish half of our starters. Our table was too small and it was chilly. I could go on... Just generally disappointed.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank E3V2C

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We have been to the American Girl Bistro in DC twice. Our first experience in January 2012 was slightly better than our most recent visit. The first time we went, we were celebrating my daughter's birthday. We got the birthday package which included a cake and birthday hats for the dolls. This past weekend we made reservations for dinner while we were visiting DC for the weekend. Both times the food was good and the small portions were appropriate for kids. However it's not worth the price. The cost is $17/person and each person can choose one appetizer and one entree. Drinks and dessert are extra. They had a "Bitty" menu for children under 3 which was $7.50. I ordered a meal from the Bitty menu for my 2 year old...however the choices were not really appropriate for that age. The grilled cheese came with tomato soup which would have been a mess. We got the mac and cheese but it came with celery and carrot sticks which were difficult for my daughter to eat. My older daughter brought her American Girl doll and my sons brought stuffed animals. They were all given seats for their dolls/animals, but I had to ask the server to bring cups/plates for the stuffed animals. He only brought a cup/plate for the American Girl doll and my sons were disappointed. If I am paying $17/kid's meal for the experience I don't think I should have to remind them. We had a 7:30 reservation which was the last reservation time of the day. They had run out of several of the things on the menu. They were also starting to clean up for the night and unload boxes in the area where we were seated - which made us feel rushed. We had multiple servers and none of them interacted with the children. Overall we were disappointed in the dinner experience.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank J P
Pittsburgh, PA
“Nice Birthday Treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Geared to please kids and their parents with a good menu; however, cannot compare to the AG dining room experiences in Chicago. It is a bistro, not a dining room.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank grandmere3
“Great young girl atmosphere to have a girls birthday party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Food was delicious. Tomato basil soup. Mini hot dogs and hamburgers for kids. Good food for adults. Beautiful birthday cake!

• Visited September 2013
“Nice mother-daughter outing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stopped here on the way home from our July 4th Williamsburg's vacation to spend some girl time with my 8 year old daughter. My husband and the boys had no problem with disappearing for a few hours as they wanted nothing to do with the AG store! I booked lunch reservations a few days before because I was worried there would be a long wait on a Saturday. But to my surprise and delight, the whole store was basically empty. We got there at 11:30 which is apparently the best time to go! We had her doll's hair styled at the salon and we were disappointed that we were unable to get curls. I should have cancelled at that point but my daughter was looking forward to having the doll's hair styled. It was $20 for a pony tail with ribbons, which is overpriced in my opinion. If the dolls hair has been neglected it's worth it but my daughter takes good care of her doll's hair and styles it on a daily basis so it was a waste of money (by the second day she had already restyled her dolls hair)....Regarding lunch, the service was great and the portions VERY generous. The food was pretty good and the display was absolutely adorable! It's smaller than the one in Chicago but still a great experience. My daughter had a $50 budget for shopping and almost stuck to it perfectly. She got the new doll backpack which came with a real mini math book, doll water bottle, and a few other things. She also got the doll red t-shirt with Washington DC on it and the matching white pants. Overall it was a great outing without breaking the bank!

• Visited July 2013