“Close to everything in Tysons -- New Guest Room”

DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I checked into the hotel to find that they had just renovated my guest room! Liked the granite sink top and the new furniture. Room had a refrigerator hidden in the cabinet. Free Internet for signing up for rewards club. The hotel is right between the Galleria and Tysons Mall which I found very convenient -- but hotel has shuttle was handy, too. Front Desk had a list of all of the area restaurants -- there are many. Overall great experience!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank outpulsed
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2011

Dear outpulsed,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel! We appreciate all of our guests’ feedback.

It is very good to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you liked our newly renovated rooms. We would also like to thank you for becoming a Priority Club Rewards member as they are some of our most valued guests.

It sounds like you were able to take full advantage of our great location right in the heart of Tysons Corner. We hope that you were able to get to all the restaurants that the front desk team recommended.

We are looking forward to the next time you are in the area and we have another chance to serve you again.

Reviewed 8 February 2011

The hotel lobby was large and welcoming, with plenty of comfortable seating. The decor overall had a "business casual" vibe to it - elegant, with a simultaneous sense of comfort. The room was beautifully decorated, comfortable and very clean. I also enjoyed using the indoor pool and the fitness center. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
It was wonderful that the hotel was in close proximity to all the great shopping in Tysons Corner.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Hello alisamarie70,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We take all of our guests’ feedback seriously in order to better serve our guests.

We are very happy that you liked the overall ambiance of the hotel. We are always happy to hear when guests appreciate the hotels decor and most importantly find it a comfortable place to relax. It is also good to hear that you enjoyed your room and that you were able to take advantage of some of the amenities we offer such as the pool and fitness center.

We hope to see you again soon and have another opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed 3 February 2011

I just returned from a 3-night stay.This was my second stay at this hotel in 3mos. Upon check-in (not my first time at this hotel), there was no record of my priority club and the gent at the front desk told me he'd have to check the system which is quite cumbersome - well he never did it and I had to have my bill corrected upon checkout.

The layout of this hotel (lobby & access to elevators) is not guest friendly. The lobby is about 250yds from the elevators. After parking my car I ventured to the elevators. I stepped onto the elevator, that was filthy with construction debris, and struggled to get the buttons to work to get me to my floor. Upon reaching my floor, I walked the distance only to find the key did not work. I then had to walk back to the elevator bank, picked up the courtesy phone to call the front desk & the phone didn't work. I then had to take the elevator to the first floor again (this is while handling all of my luggage) and hike back to the lobby to get a working key. The front desk apologized but made no offer to assist me w/ my luggage back to the elevators nor the room.

I like the decor of the room but I'd suggest that housekeeping make a better effort to check the room and the condition of all the menus, channel guides, etc.. mine were filthy & sticky and I threw them in the garbage as I was afraid to touch them. There was popcorn or something on the floor under my desk & the coffee mugs were dirty. I was looking forward to receiving the aromatherapy gift bag you normally receive in your room - but there was none in mine. Also, please put more towels in the fitness center!!!

After settling in I ordered room service - but funny thing, no one answered the phone, I had to leave a message but the outgoing message doesn't tell you to leave your order or that they'll call your room back. My message included my order and I waited 20mins before someone finally called me back to confirm my request and then I waited another 30mins for my food to arrive.

I wasn't made aware of any of the Priority Club perks and quite honestly I think I get more benefits at other hotels in the same area. As a priority member I appreciate the free wireless & the complimentary beverage you can get at O'Malleys. Would be better to have them credit your bill rather than have you rely on handing the bartender a small business card to grant you the freebie. I spent one evening with some colleagues in O'Malley's and I thought the bartenders to be very unsociable and inattentive - it was almost a bother for them to wait on me & my friends. I had the same experience several months ago. As a former bartender, if you want to make good tips, make eye contact w/ your customers & chat them up a bit, be friendly. There's a waiter in the italian restaurant that needs to be educated on alcohol and know what you have available to serve. My friends wanted after dinner drinks and the waiter, who barely spoke/understood english, had no idea what we were asking for then claimed the bar didn't have it. The next evening we went to the bar and lo & behold, they did have the liquors we had requested.

As I have another reservation here in a few weeks, I may give this hotel another try but only because my event is walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2011

Dear Miroomeer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thorough and detailed review of your experience staying with us. All of our guests’ feedback is taken very seriously by our team as we feel it is the best source of information to improve our guests’ experience.

We do apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay and we will review with our front desk staff the importance of our Priority Club members who are our most valued guests. We are doing guestroom renovations and the contractors are supposed to be using our service elevator and not the guest elevators. Thank you for letting us know.

I was distressed to hear about the condition of your room. We have taken steps to counsel the room attendant and to review with our staff the appropriate measures to ensure all rooms are cleaned thoroughly and inspected before the guest even gets to the room. Our engineering staff has addressed the situation with the courtesy phone at the elevator landing.

Our Food and Beverage Director has reviewed your comments and actually met with the staff to improve service in all of our outlets and training is an ongoing theme for all the staff.
We hope on your next visit that you will be enjoying exceptional service as we do strive to be the best and comments such as yours help us to achieve that goal.

Reviewed 10 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night during the holiday period and was initially pleased with the decor and general ambience but it all went downhill rapidly from thereonin.
My colleagues and I met in the Irish bar as this was the only outlet that was open and the bar staff were efficient but abrupt which is very unusual in America as bar staff are usually friendly and chatty. I overheard them talking amongst themselves being sarcastic about the fact they were working a holiday. My burger was positively slammed down at me; I'm surprised the plate didn't break but at least it tasted good.
My room was very average and in need of a refurb but perfectly adequate apart from the air conditioning which was the worst I've experienced in years. An old style stand alone unit but ironically controlled by a touch control modern unit on the wall. However, without going into too many details it was either freezing cold or unbelievalbly stifling. In the end I gave up and switched the whole thing off and suffered the natural cold.
I ordered breakfast from room service in the morning and the order taker made it perfectly clear that they would rather be anywhere else. Talk about miserable!
When my food arrived it looked like a dog's dinner. I've never seen so many different types of food and packaging thrown on one plate. On the one plate there was the following items:-
1) An overcooked omelette
7) A sachet of marmalade
8) Two sachets of butter
9) A small jar of ketchup
10) Four half slices of toast
At least the salt and pepper were on the side of the tray as was the orange juice so we should be grateful for that!!!!!!
When I checked out I received no eye contact from the receptionist and it took him five minutes to register my Priority Club deatils as though this was something really unusual. When I asked for a ten dollar bill to be broken down he finally looked at me but as though I had just asked for a private audience with the President of the United States.
All very bizarre and surreal.
However, this is my company's preferred choice of hotel now in Tyson's Corner so I will probably be staying here again at some point. Let's hope I have a better experience. I certainly hope so.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2011

Dear gwokypoodle,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We take all of our guests’ feedback very seriously so that we can always strive to improve and provide the best service and experience possible.

We are very concerned that you didn’t have an excellent experience while you stayed with us and we do apologize for that. We are glad that you did like the décor and ambiance of the hotel. We are in the process of refurbishing 156 of our guest rooms now and anticipate being done in March of this year.

We are troubled to hear about the experience you had at O’Malley’s Pub. We pride ourselves on providing very friendly service and being the place that people want to hang out in. The service you received is completely unacceptable by our standards. The presentation of your breakfast order has been reviewed with our Executive Chef and he has taken the appropriate measures to review with his staff and we have counseled our Pub staff on improving guest service.

Your front desk experience has also been addressed with the Front Office Manager and her staff. We are also ensuring that our staff knows how to service our guests properly and efficiently.

We look forward to your return so that we can prove to you our commitment to excellence and that your past experience is not typical of the service we provide our guests.

Reviewed 30 December 2010

Stayed over the Christmas holidays and was surprised at how nice this hotel was - great location, lots of free parking, nice quiet room, easy access to Route 7 and Dulles Airport. I'm Hilton Diamond and usually stay at Hilton McLean but will stay @ Crowne Plaza Tysons in the future. Being able to walk to the malls (lots of restaurants, shops, movies) makes it an ideal hotel. Staff couldn't be more accommodating. Free Wi-fi too. What a pleasant discovery!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Hello ardathonline,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel and were pleased that you had such a pleasant experience during your recent stay with us. We are very proud to be located in the heart of Tysons Corner, across the street from both malls as well as easy access to many major routes around the area. We are glad hear that our team was able to take care of all your needs and that you were able to take advantage of our internet access.

We look forward to the next time you are in the area and we have another opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely, The Crowne Plaza Tysons Corner Team

Reviewed 28 December 2010

I'm a regular at this particular location. Front desk staff is fantastic. They absolutely go out of their way to make your stay comfortable. The only problem I had: I was leaving the hotel at 4am. I was using an exit that was not the lobby entrance/exit. The door is clearly signed and states to either use the lobby exit or use your room key to enter/exit. So I did. A little black man that works for the hotel came around the corner and started giving me crap. I referred him to the sign but either he couldnt read it or was simply ignorant. With so many hotel choices in that area the hotel would have been better served to hire this man to help me as opposed to giving me grief.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo

Dear jimiscan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel! We take all of our guest feedback seriously so that we can always strive to provide the best experience possible.

We are very happy to hear that you have had such great experiences when you have stayed with us. We like to think of each of our guests as family and provide the best service possible.

It sounds like you typically have an excellent experience aside from the one incident. We do apologize for any inconvenience that your interaction with our security guard might have created. We will review procedures with them to ensure they are trained properly. We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously. Regardless, we are sorry for any inconvenience that you experienced.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 18 September 2010

Most of the people staying at this hotel seem to be on business in the McLean area, and the hotel couldn't be better for them.
I spent four nights in this hotel while my partner was attending a seminar held near by. The room was excellent, confortable beds, television, tons of pillows, and as priority customers we had free wifi. The Tuesday wine and cheese party for priority customers was nice. We didn't try the Tuscan Grille for dinner, but their breakfast buffet was excellent. The hotel has an indoor pool, an attractive courtyard and the Irish Pub is friendly and inviting. Over all, if you are on business in the area, you couldn't do better.
My one complaint is that I was not on business, and I didn't want to spend my days swimming or shopping, I wanted to go into the District. To do that, you need to get to the Dunn Loring Metro stop, and the hotel, though they have a van ready to run you to the shopping centers or to local meetings, or pick you up from same, isn't so ready to drive you the 5 miles to the metro stop, or to pick you up. They have times and rules. Let me repeat that, because they certainly repeated it to me - they have Times and Rules. If you're outside the time or the rules, you can take a cab. The cab fare varies from $10.00 to $15.00 one way, depending on traffic. There is also a bus that for $1.70 will take you to the far end of the furthest of the two shopping centers, but if you're not within pickup times, you still have to walk the half mile or better to the hotel. In hot weather, that is not a plesant experience. I spent at least $75.00 on cabs because I coudn't fit into their Times and Rules, and the van drivers missed what could have been some generous tips.
So, if you are in the area on business, absolutely, you will be happy at this hotel. But if you plan to spend any time at all in the District, you might look for something closer to the metro.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

Hello LibrariantravelerUSA,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel! We take all of our guests' feedback very seriously and use it as our best opportunity to improve the experience we provide to our guests.

We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable experience while staying with us aside from our location. We are glad that you were able to enjoy some great food at the Tuscan Grille for Breakfast and O'Malley's other times. We are also glad to hear that the rooms were a place you were able to relax and spread out to enjoy your time with us.

We do apologize that you weren't able to take advantage of our shuttle service to the metro station. We do run on a schedule as a way to control the wait time for shuttles that our guests must endure. We also have to be cognizant of rush hour traffic as it can get pretty bad in Tysons Corner and strand our shuttles in traffic.

Obviously this is not the best solution and hearing that you weren't able to catch the shuttle once because of the schedule troubles us. We are going to review the shuttle schedule and think of other solutions that will best serve the needs of our guests.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in the Tysons Corner area!