“Good hotel for business trip”

Courtyard Tysons Corner Fairfax
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, NC
“Good hotel for business trip”
Reviewed 26 July 2009

The courtyard lives up to the Marriott standard. it is in a great location in Tysons. The staff is very friendly and helpful with all requests. There are a few restaurants within walking distance. Rooms are nice and quiet. Decent work out room and good pool. Will stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
kberkhimer, Owner & Management at Courtyard Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, 10 November 2009
Dear GabbyCharlotte_NC,
Thank you for taking time to post a review about your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner. We appreciate the time you took to give us your feedback.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to serving you again!

The Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We live close enough to DC to make pretty regular overnight or weekend trips to DC for all different kinds of activities, and we're constantly searching for the best hotel. We look for something affordable that is close to a metro station. While this Courtyard isn't very close to the metro, it is a very affordable and well furnished hotel that makes up for it's distance to the metro.

The hotel is easy to get to, not far off 495. Check in was easy and the staff at the front dest was very courteous. Our room was clean and comfortable upon entering. We were surprised to find both a flat panel television and a small refrigerator in the room. Internet was wired, and the service was fine. The vanity area of the bathroom was a little on the small side, but that is the only complaint we had with the room. The parking area was large and well lit, and had easy elevator access to the main lobby. Best of all, parking is free, a luxury that is hard to find in a DC area hotel.

You do have to drive a couple of miles to the closest metro station, but the closest stations are also park and rides, so if you're visiting on the weekend, parking is free. We knew that before we booked, so it was no problem for us.

We're headed back to DC soon, and have already booked at this hotel for our next visit. We may have found the best combination of price, location, and convenience with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jpeace121
Dear jpeace121,
Thank you for giving us your feedback when staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott in Tysons Corner.

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and felt you got a good value with us! We understand that price is always a concern and feel that quality should not be sacrificed in order to get a good deal!

As it seems your only complaint that the metro was a short drive, you will be happy to know that a metro station is being built practically across the street!

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Tysons Corner!

The Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Team
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 March 2009

I've stayed here numerous times over the last few years. I've had some not so nice visits to this particular Courtyard, but most of my stays here have been very good. This last stay was excellent. The AAA rate was $67 a night (weekends), the room was very clean, the king size bed was comfy, the flat screen television was great and the room had a new feel to it. I suppose this was because the hotel was recently renovated. One positive about this hotel is the location. Tysons Corner Mall and Tysons Galleria are within walking distance. Both malls offer many restaurants and other shopping opportunites. The Dunn Loring metro stop is less than a 5 mile drive away and the hotel will even shuttle you there anytime during the day. I have no complaints whatsoever. The extraordinary changes are obvious here at the Tysons Corner-Fairfax Courtyard and yes, I will be back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ILUVDC
kberkhimer, Owner & Management at Courtyard Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, 12 May 2009
Dear ILUVDC,

Thank you for your feedback about the Courtyard at Tysons Corner! We appreciate you taking the time to post this review.

We are extremely happy you enjoyed your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott in Tysons Corner and that you will be back! We look forward to having you stay with us again!

The Courtyard by Marriott at Tysons Corner Team
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 January 2009

My husband and I booked our stay the day before the election. Thankfully we were able to get reservations because it was important for us to experience Inauguration 2009. We took a cab from Reagan National airport to the Courtyard and it cost approximately $44 with tip (the cab fare depends on number of people and number of luggage besides distance and wait time). Later we found out that the Metro has a stop at the airport and the hotel has a free shuttle to and from the Dunn-Loring stop on the Orange line. (You may want to take the Metro, get off on the Dunn-Loring stop, and call the hotel to get picked up...that would save you a lot of money.) The front desk staff were very friendly and excited for the inauguration events. We had a king-bed room that had adjoining doors to another room. In the future I think it would be best not to have an adjoining room because we could hear EVERYTHING in the next room. Other than that, the room was comfortable, had a mini-fridge, offered free internet (although we could not get ours to work even after calling the IT number), and was clean. The shuttle to the nearest Metro stop was great; however, I think that because inauguration week had such a big turnout, they may not have been as prepared because it took a long time to get picked up from the Metro stop. The shuttle also takes its guests anywhere within a 4 mile radius. The hotel is very close to two main malls; one very upscale. In addition, there are great restaurants across the street. We ate breakfast at the hotel and we were very pleased with the service and quality. They served a full breakfast with made-to-order omelets and eggs (for approximately $14 per person). The breakfast was a great way to start the day! The area seemed very safe and a nice distance away from the National Mall area (it took approximately 20 minutes by Metro to the middle of the National Mall area). We enjoyed our time in the DC area and the Courtyard did a nice job of accommodating all the guests!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The adjoining room, internet not working, and IT staff not helpful.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hvtrust
bernerlovers
Reviewed 14 January 2009

We had the most wonderful time during our 5-day stay during spring break. We booked a standard room and got upgraded to a suite with full refrigerator, microwave, and balcony. What a wonderful surprise, especially since we were staying so long. Beds were comfortable, room was very clean, decorations were updated. Kids liked the pool, tho' one of the lifeguards was a little "testy". We liked the shuttle service to the Metro line. Drivers were very friendly and helpful. Went to the Tysons Corner mall to eat lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. Loved it so much, we went back a few days later for dinner!

If you have a car & a little extra time, we recommend going to Great Falls - a park further up the Potomac. Great hiking trails and outdoor fun, yet only a 15 minute drive from the hotel.

• Liked — upgrade to the suite
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank bernerlovers
va
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Well I will start by saying the staff there is the rudest bunch of people I have ever met. My new wife and I had just returned from our reception with a few friends to the hotel room for some drinks. yes we had been drinking but were not unruley.Upon arrival to our suite wich was supposed to be away from other guests as I requested when booking the rooms with the regional sales manager keri (we had most of our guest list staying at the hotel). I even told the sales manager we were going to be celebrating after the reception at the hotel " No problem " she said. Ok, so as we got to the room we found that we were located right in the middle of a tourng kids soccer team and down the hall were some teenagers partying in the hallway five doors down from our room . We go in these kids try to follow making a ruckus in the hallway outside of our room and no more then fifteen minutes go by and the manager on duty -bryce cliff- knocks on our door and tells us we had a complaint against us and need to leave the room . NO warning just get out. We were not being loud or out of control it was the kids down the hall. So this is the good stuff, bryce cliff tells us to go to our other suite wich was on the 11th floor were he says "no one is on that floor" you will be fine up there. Her come the police that he had called before he even came up to our room to tell us without warning to leave.so we go up to the 11th floor ssuite and had just enough time to set our bags down when the police, bryce cliff and another guy show up at our room agian. OH yes they told us again that we had a complaint and need to leave the hotel.ON MY WEDDING NIGHT OF ALL NIGHTS. We were in the room a total of five minutes. NO ONE WAS ON THAT FLOOR HE SAID. 30 dollar cab ride later I have to sleep on the floor of my friends apartment in Arlington on my wedding night.man bummer. The next day I go back to hte hotel to pickup things that we forgot to get and the desk clerck picked up the phone mid conversation and helped someone else.I was not being rude to her just asking for a room key to get my things. Unreal. The cake topper here is the general manager Sandra has not returned any of my calls and the sales staff GM has not either. go figure. just want my money back. its been three days. called corporate and filed a complaint. Dont waste your time with that hotel stay somewere else its worth the extra money.

• Liked — nothing at all
  • Disliked — the staff . front desk clerks managers and sales staff. just terrible people. no customer service
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
dattardi, ownership, management group at Courtyard Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, 4 December 2008
Hello, rybred…

First and foremost, I would like to once again sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had at our hotel on your wedding night.

Secondly, thank you very much for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We understand that perception is reality, and though there are two-sides to every story, hearing your perspective is very helpful to us as we are continually looking for ways to improve our service.

I understand that given the excitement and emotion of your wedding night, our position could have easily been misunderstood. As you know, I returned your call on the Wednesday following your stay (the day after this review was posted) and I subsequently refunded your money for your hotel room.

Unfortunately, our actions of calling the police and asking you to leave the hotel were very difficult for us… we didn’t want to do it and we certainly didn’t like it. In hindsight, do I wish we would have found an easier and less alarming way to handle the situation? Yes, absolutely. It is never our intent to dismiss guests from the hotel and certainly, it is something we would avoid at all costs on such a special occasion. However, I trust my management team’s judgment and they had to do the best thing for our hotel and our guests as a whole. Unfortunately, this was a situation where there was no easy solution which would make everyone happy. Given the following events, we felt like asking you to leave was our only option:
• You and your guests were asked to be quiet and respectful of our other guests three times before the police were called… once upon entering the hotel appearing to be very intoxicated with a cooler full of beer, and two more times while in the hotel.
• The guest across the hall complained several times about the noise level in your room specifically, as well as about the content of your dialogue.
• Your party was extremely disrespectful to our Night Manager (Bryce Cliff) and front desk team and spoke to them with very foul language.

Regardless, I am extremely regretful that you had a bad experience at our hotel, and I sincerely apologize for any misunderstandings. However, I do trust that you understand our perspective and that you realize we only did what was best for our hotel and our guests as whole.

I’m sorry that you have a bad memory of our hotel, but I truly hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future, so that we can all have a better, more positive experience.

Thank you again for the feedback and please take care.

Yours in hospitality,

Sandra
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 6 October 2008

I used my Marriott Reward points for my one night stay so I really can't comment on the price. I did pay $16 extra to upgrade to a King Suite.

Checkin Feedback: The gentlemen that checked me in was VERY nice and the checkin process took less than 2 minutes. It went very smooth.

Parking: Free parking in the underground car lot. Had no issues - however car was only parked there from around midnight to 10am the next morning.

Breakfast Buffet: Price was fine. About $11 per person. Food was average.

Room - We had a King Suite room (5th floor)
King Bed, clean sheets, clean carpet, LG flat screen TV. Our room had a two person jetted bathtub beside the bed. It was so relaxing and was well worth the $16 upgrade! It was the best part of the room in my opinion.

Hallway leading to the room - I found the 5th floor hallway very smokey smelling. All the rooms on that floor are non smoking and I couldn't smell any smoke in our room, but the hallway smell was terrible.

All in all - nice hotel.
I choose this hotel because it was about 10 minutes from Great Falls national park and that was our destination the following morning.

Stayed September 2008