“Nowhere close to Residence Inn standards.”

Residence Inn Tysons Corner
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Please allow me to state that I have many years of experience as a Residence Inn guest - most recently 6 months in one location, 3 months in two additional locations - so I have a qualified basis for making these observations.

This was one of my WORST hotel experiences ever - this hotel should very definitely not be called a Residence Inn. I have a list:

- ICE: There is an ice maker in the full-sized fridge - it does not make ice. It is not attached. The only way to obtain ice is to walk/drive to the main building and the clerk will give you ice in a laundry bag.
- LIVING SPACE: One tiny (love seat-sized) sofa - no cushy chair - had to move chairs from undersized breakfast table to have a conversation together.
- HEAT: There is no way to adjust the heating so that it flows from the vents on the main floor. It heats the second floor - too much.
- KITCHEN: The coffee maker did not work. There is no skillet/frying pan. The dishwasher did not clean glassware. Disposal did not work until we cleaned out beer bottle caps from previous guests.
- REQUESTS: No extra towels nor down pillows were supplied.
- BED: The beds are old and worn and uncomfortable, as are the pillows. No extra blanket in either room.
- WINDOWS: Roller shades can only be accessed by moving furniture. Barely function.
- BATHROOM: Sinks were clogged. Shower temperatures crazy.
- TV: Many channels offered were pixelated. Many other channels were not connected.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Want to say that the staff tried to fix things but, for the most part, they failed. Seemed unconcerned about urgency.
- CLEANLINESS - Overall ok but feel that the room could be cleaner.
- FOOD: Very limited choices at the breakfast buffet.
- PROPERTY - Difficult to find room (we observed other guests with this issue) and overall not well-kept. Missing light bulbs, not groomed.

The property is in an excellent location. But I was so sad for us - so many other options, and I picked this - just so disappointed and upset.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
GMRITysons, General Manager at Residence Inn Tysons Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

shopgirlblonde – I am so very sorry that your stay was not what you have come to expect from Residence Inn. It is disappointing that we have failed you in so many areas. I greatly appreciate the amount of detail in your review and I will look into each of these concerns with my staff and we will take the necessary step to correcting these issues. It is with feedback such as yours that we will learn from our shortcomings, correct the errors and we will strive not to repeat them. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is my second time staying here for a trip to DC. I was very pleased with the service here, everyone is SO NICE!!! I absolutely love the two bedroom units, they are perfect. It is conveniently located for the metro, restaurants and shopping.

If I had one negative to add it would be to make sure you dont stay in a unit near the basketball courts. I was trying to nap one day, and you could hear the bouncing balls and noise from the court. So I would try to avoid buildings 12 and 2.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Allnatural99

theucfan - Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay, it was great to have you back with us. I will gladly share your comments with the entire team, I am sure they will be happy to hear this feedback. We hope to see you again soon on your next trip to the DC area!

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

We are a family of 5, we really enjoyed our one night. Room perfectly equipped, small kitchen with microwave, coffee maker, stove, fridge... Free wifi as well.
Room was clean and nicely furnished. Staff was also very friendly. Would definitely come back

Stayed: January 2014

Aidamourad - I am happy to hear that we were able to accomodate you and your family. I will make sure and share your review with the entire team during our staff meeting. We hope to see you again soon and thank you again for your review!

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have stayed here quite a lot over the years as it's convenient to family. This is one of the older style Residence Inns which feel very much like an apartment complex.

The interiors were recently renovated and are very freshened with nice trendy deep colors and textures. The rooms are like small studio apartments with a kitchen that has a stove, microwave, dishwasher and fridge. Every room we've ever been in has a fireplace; you get a duralog from the front desk if you want to use it. We never have but it's charming anyway. Part of the renovation I really like are the shelves by the vanity and the well-lit vanity. The shelves really help you organize your stuff and keep the countertop tidy on long visits. Sadly the toilet roll holder had lost its spindle (room 1014) for our recent week-long visit.

However, the exteriors feel a bit shabby yet, with some bits of broken siding and so on. Visiting in the winter we saw leaves had collected in the stairwells but noticed that the courtyard had had some repairs. Be aware that second floor rooms are only reached by stairs.

The location is excellent and quiet and can now be found by navigating to the new WalMart (within walking distance). We like to be placed in the rear buildings on the first floor. On this trip this meant being in the dark in the parking lot since one of the exterior lights was out.

I can't figure out the beds here though. Once, we had a room with a mattress from heaven. I wish I remembered which room that was since the mattresses haven't been quite that nice since.

I notice that some recent visitors had Wi-Fi issues; we didn't on this trip.

Room Tip: We like rooms to the rear and on the first floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

lietuva_9 - What a great line 'feels a bit like home". We strive to make all of our guests feel as if this is a second home so we are pleased to hear that you felt this way. I am glad to see you like the new rooms and that it is more functional for you. I will certainly look into the overall appearance of the grounds and make sure that we address this right away. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

A bit hard to find off Route 7, especially in the dark, tho our GPS took us to the front door. Room was cold (54 degrees) when we arrived but after resetting the thermostat and going out for an hour or so, was fine on our return. Quiet, roomy, clean, with kitchen. Breakfast looked good tho we didn't imbibe.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Walt55 - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, we greatly appreciate your feedback. I am sorry that your room was so cold upon arrival, I will make sure to share this with my housekeeping team and make sure that we up the static temperatures in the rooms during the colder months. Thank you for your patronage and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel looks like a very old building from the outside but once you check in to the room it is very modern. Good makeover. The staff was friendly but the lobby and front desk area was small. There was a curtain behind the front desk which was odd. Great location .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Shaune J, General Manager at Residence Inn Tysons Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

The hotel underwent a complete rooms renovation in 2013 and I believe we offer the best suites in Tysons Corner. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you again.

Many thanks,
Shaune Johnson

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Hotel decent, staff welcoming. WiFi was down the night I stayed there. They are switching to a new system. Was a big inconvenience, as I was down in that area for business and needed the connection. Room was clean and bathroom was clean. Bed was a bit uncomfortable; seemed a little worn. Breakfast was offered, but I did not partake, as I had an early meeting. Easy to find, location good to other businesses in area. Traffic was horrible, though, with all of the construction.

Room Tip: Rooms on first level are easier to get to. Second floor rooms have stairs only. However, the room ab...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review Jillsy0927,

I am terribly sorry that you had an issue with the internet during your stay. As you mentioned, we did a property wide upgrade that will deliver faster and stronger internet connections to all guests. Our goal is to make your stays better and I can assure you the new internet is great. As for the traffic, this will be resolved shortly with the addition of a metro station within walking distance. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to having you again in the future.

Many thanks,