“could there be a little more noise outside my room, please?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Tysons Hotel

Sheraton Tysons Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Arlington, VA
“could there be a little more noise outside my room, please?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here for one night (actually two, my first and last) last night. A little bit of a hassle getting to the hotel with all of the construction in the area, but luckily I am somewhat familiar with the area and correctly guessed where to turn on the first try.

The hotel seemed to be up to the usual Sheraton standards as far as cleanliness, courtesy and knowledge of staff. I was on a deeply reduced rate which normally is for lower floors (I believe there is a three level set of rooms on the back side) but I was advised I would be given a room on a higher floor. I am Sheraton Gold Lifetime (just demoted this week, in fact, from 4 years of Platinum) so I believe I would normally be assigned to one of these SPG floors anyway. I was given a room right off the elevators and this was the problem. The rooms are clustered so that four room entrances are in the same place (at least in my instance). The room was spacious enough and tastefully decorated as is the case with most Sheratons. The problem is that the door must be made of balsa wood. The first time one of my neighbors shut (slammed) their door, I almost came out of my chair. It sounded like someone had fired a gun right outside my door. This happened several times over the course of the evening. In addition, I could clearly hear conversations taking place (grandparents telling a little girl how good she had been at dinner) and even a barking dog.

The internet was not working properly when I tried to log on. I called guest services which plugged me into the IT help desk. After waiting on hold for a couple minutes, the representative told me it was a problem other guests at this hotel were having. He fixed it and told me I would not be charged.

So bottom line, while everything else about the hotel was just fine, I would not stay here again. The internet issue can happen, but I travel a lot and one of the most annoying for me is to have to go back down to the desk for a room change (particularly when it is 20 floors down). I didn't ask for another room this time. I was tired and figured I could tough it out.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
FrankKuhns, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear jocnnr: We appreciate you taking time to tell us about your experience. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides out hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about the issues you encountered in your guestroom - we are investigating the issue and correcting this immediately. Our team members are dedicated to extending their very best to make each guest feel comfortable. Thank you again and we do help to welcome you back to the Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

This hotel is undergoing renovations and I don't know if they think they are done, but the hotel still has issues.

We arrived on a Friday at around 5pm. Our non-smoking king room was not ready, they said it would be an hour or so, so no big deal, we hung out with friends.

When the hotel called that the room was finally ready, we found that our room was not in the newer tower but in the older low-rise section. As we walked to our room, we found that the hallways were very dark and the elevator was old and unmaintained, with the emergency phone and wires literally spilling out from the panel. Also, the placement of the elevator is very inconvenient to the front desk - I suspect that the original hotel had the front desk elsewhere and when the tower was built the desk was moved to the new lobby.

We reached our room, which we found was not in bad shape, but not a king either (two doubles). After trudging with our bags back to the desk and informing them that it was not a king but two doubles, the clerk motioned to her screen and said that it was in their system as a king. (Note to hotel manager: this is the WRONG answer. Your guest, who just returned from the room, is not an idiot. "I'm so sorry, it's listed incorrectly in our system" is much better).

They promised to try again but it would be a couple more hours until a king was available. Eventually, it was, and to their credit they phoned us to let us know.

The room was fine and the beds comfortable. However there was cigarette-smoke smell in the room whiuch had been masked by perfurme. (I hate to blame the hotel for this since it's the guests who break the rules, not the hotel). Bathroom was OK but the shower head was not affixed to the wall properly and swung back and forth as the pipes flexed in the wall.

All in all, this hotel needs to get it's renovations right, especially the older low-rise. For the time being, I would make sure to ask for a room in the tower.

Room Tip: Ask for the tower
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank AndyTheGameInventor
FrankKuhns, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear AndyTheGameInventor: Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your experience at the Sheraton Premiere. We are disappointed to hear of the challenges you experienced during your stay. We do apologize for the frustrations you encountered at check-in, as our goal is to provide each guest with the best customer service possible. Our elevators will undergo a transformation over the next few months so to compliment the rest of the hotel. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, we will review your comments as a team, and look at how we can improve the overall experience for our guests.
Malvern, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We spent three nights here when we attended a dance competition organized by the Arthur Murray studios in the greater DC area.

This is our third time staying here and it is apparent they have been doing some renovation to the common areas of the hotel. We had a room on the 22nd floor, which gave us access to the concierge lounge on the 24th floor. I have had bigger bathroom on cruise ships. The lighting in the room is very poor and it is a struggle to shave and comb your hair in the bathroom with poor lighting. The bed is average as far as being comfortable, however, it had more than adequate closet room, which was very nice for our dance costumes.

The concierge lounge is worthless. The eggs at breakfast on Saturday morning were cold and the staff less than helpful. Room service cost are ridiculously high and the food was average.

On the other hand the food for the banquet affair was very good, but the service here was terrible. This seemed to be a reoccurring theme at this Hotel, for every act of good service, was followed with twice the amount of poor service.

If the dance event was not held at this hotel, it would not be on my list of places to stay. But, alas, I am doomed to repeat because they hold the dance event here twice a year. Not the worst, but definitely not the best and plenty of room for improvement.

Room Tip: Concierge lounge is not worth the added costs
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello DWL thank your feedback on your recent stay. Customer service is very important to the overall experience of our guests. We are going to review your comments at the meeting managers meeting and connect with those departments where you encountered opportunity. Feedback is a gift and it is the only way we can make our hotel better for our guests! Thank you again for sharing.
Alexandria VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

This is my 5th stay in 13 months, for ballroom dance competitions. I hate this place and would not stay here otherwise. Problems every time. At least this time, I got the room I requested (tower room with two beds). I always check the TV first thing, and the remote was missing and had to call front desk (10:30 pm) to get someone to bring one--at least I waited less than 10 minutes. Room has been renovated, but: no towel rack near sink (there had been one over toilet), and one small rack in shower; towels don't dry. Lighting poor in bathroom and desk, impossible to do your makeup! No switch at entrance to turn on lamp in room (no one likes to enter a dark room; the switch at the door turns on a ceiling light at the entrance). Full length mirror is near entrance, with almost no light to see. Water on tray is $4 a bottle, but you have to read the fine print on the tag encouraging you to stay hydrated. Took over 5 minutes to get hot water at 8:30 am first morning; when I called front desk to complain after 2 minutes of cold water, I was told to let it run for 3 more minutes--not very environmentally friendly! Vent in bathroom doesn't remove one bit of steam. I took the "no housekeeping" option to get the points and not have HK interrupt when I'm trying to change at 4 pm, but didn't get the coupon the second day and had to ask at the front desk when checking out. Fitness room has been renovated--much larger (took out shower rooms) and TV screens mounted on cardio equipment. I'm glad I checked in the night before my event started (at 3 pm), because several of my friends tried to check in that afternoon, and their rooms weren't ready until after 5 pm. The whole point was to avoid changing in a group changing room! I would have really been mad! The banquet food was OK, but when the waiters came around with the wine, they missed my seatmate and me, and when he finally came back and I complained, he starting refilling OTHER people's wine glasses first! We were almost finished with our entrees! This hotel allows dogs, but not outside food in your rooms (go figure!). Ice buckets are the same tiny ones as before (holds one can of soda). New lamps aren't bright enough to read by (CF bulbs). Don't get a room in the low-story wing--you get everyone passing all day/night from the conference center. Rooms in tower facing Leesburg Pike are nosy--commuter traffic at 5 am is loud enought to wake you up! As other readers commented, without a car, there are few choices in walking distance (but a Subway, Indian restaurant, a few others that aren't open late). The next competition is at the McLean Hilton--from recent reviews, it might not be better. I admit to being a Marriott's Rewards Platinum Member, so I'm really spoiled by their hotels at the level this Sheraton proclaims to be. I'm a SPG member, and got a 6th floor room, but others with no SPG status got upgraded to high floors with FREE bottled water!

Room Tip: Tower room-high, but don't pay premium for concierge level if you wouldn't use amenties. Yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CatyRay
Dear CatyRay: Thank you for sharing your story. We are disappointed to hear your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Whenever possible we can assure we do everything we can to appropriately accommodate upgrade requests. While the hotel has undergone a full renovation, we are still asking for customer feedback so we might make enhancemnts. We have initiated a Phase 2 which includes advanced lighting in the rooms. We will look into the challenges you experienced during your stay and do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Tysons Corner and the Dance Competitions. We do apologize for the miscommunication in your reservation for such an upgrade and the limited availability upon your arrival. Our Club Lounge is open for a complimentary breakfast for guests with club level access. We're disappointed your breakfast in the Club Lounge was not more relaxing or satisfying. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.