“Significant improvements throughout the last 6 months”

Sheraton Tysons Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
“Significant improvements throughout the last 6 months”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have been staying at this hotel every week for the past 7 months. During that time, the hotel went through a significant renovation. Although the renovation caused some minor inconveniences, the staff and customer service made up for it during that time as they were always very understanding and willing to accommodate requests as best they could. I even needed to overnight a birthday card to my mom one day, and they offered to drive me to FedEx (I didnt have a car) and they waited for me to ship the card and bring me back. I was extremely appreciative.

The new renovation has brought about numerous improvements. The new gym is great with lots of new machines and free weights to use. The new club lounge has much better seating and multiple TVs, and the new bar downstairs offers more seating and a nice place to relax. There are still improvements being made (the hotel staff is great with receiving and addressing customer insight), but the hotel has drastically improved and continues to head in a good direction. It is a great place to stay and I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CEBoston
FrankKuhns, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - It's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. As we have undergone an extensive renovation, we are glad to see that our efforts were worth it. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ridgefield, CT
Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

Just checked in to this "renovated" hotel - dirty hallway - garbage in my bathroom - and the elevators are a distance from the lobby

• Stayed April 2012
FrankKuhns, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
JimNin,

Thank you for your feedback. We are looking into your response right away! If you are still in the hotel, may I ask that you connect with me personally so we may review ways we can improve on your experiences.

Frank Kuhns
Director of Sales and Marketing
Sheraton Premiere Tysons Corner
Arlington
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I came here for an overnight stay on a Saturday night due to an event I had downtown. The ballroom up on the Mezzanine level was recently re done I was told and i'm not going to lie, was rather impressive. If your wedding party is around 300 plus, that ballroom would be perfect! The staff was very polite and courteous which is always something I look for I stay overnight, and they did a great job!

The restaurant downstairs was re-done as well. The setup was very nice in terms of having TV's available to watch the game. The lighting of the area could have been set a bit dimmer as the night time fell, but other than that its very open and inviting. I can see that bar really getting lively during the week after work. Oh yeah...and the breakfast downstairs was FANTASTIC!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Hello TV1918, We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and our enhancements to the Sheraton Premiere! We look forward to having you back to dine at Brix & Ale sometime soon. Thank you for sharing your experience and would love to welcome you back to the Sheraton Premiere again soon.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here last month as my daughter was competing at a dance convention at this hotel. This was a rather unpleasant hotel stay. For starters, the Tysons Corner area always seems to be under major construction. I live in neighboring Maryland but don't have much reason to travel to that area often. A couple summers ago, we were in the area as my daughter was flying out of the nearby Dulles Airport. I know that there was construction then and things are still under construction. Not sure when it started or when it will be completed.
It was a little challenging to find the hotel due to all the road construction but we did arrive without too much difficulty. We checked in without much delay but were advised that our room was on the third floor and that the lobby is on the second level. The elevators closest to the lobby do not go to the third floor. In an attempt to save time, we decided to just take the stairs to the third floor. I had read reviews of the hotel and knew that things would not be perfect but was a bit disturbed by what I saw. Along the stairwell, signs indicating the location of the hotel rooms were not attached to the wall and just placed on the floor resting against the wall. What was disturbing was that the condition of the drywall where the signs had previously been were in great disrepair and it appeared that it had been that way for a long time! There was tape on the steps that seemed to be holding the metal strips around the carpet in place. I can certainly understand that they are renovating but the state of the stairwell made me wonder how long the steps had been in this state and how long it will be before the work will be completed. I had a feeling it had been months if not years. Thankfully our room had been renovated and was clean.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear kadi69_11: Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback during your stay at the Sheraton Premiere. We apologies that your stay with us during the dance convention was not up to your expectation. We appreciate your response and are working with our team to improve the areas in need. Phase 2 of our renovation is in place and can ensure you the stairwells are being repaired! We began our renovations in November and are excited to say they are mostly complete. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Premiere again soon!
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here for one night (actually two, my first and last) last night. A little bit of a hassle getting to the hotel with all of the construction in the area, but luckily I am somewhat familiar with the area and correctly guessed where to turn on the first try.

The hotel seemed to be up to the usual Sheraton standards as far as cleanliness, courtesy and knowledge of staff. I was on a deeply reduced rate which normally is for lower floors (I believe there is a three level set of rooms on the back side) but I was advised I would be given a room on a higher floor. I am Sheraton Gold Lifetime (just demoted this week, in fact, from 4 years of Platinum) so I believe I would normally be assigned to one of these SPG floors anyway. I was given a room right off the elevators and this was the problem. The rooms are clustered so that four room entrances are in the same place (at least in my instance). The room was spacious enough and tastefully decorated as is the case with most Sheratons. The problem is that the door must be made of balsa wood. The first time one of my neighbors shut (slammed) their door, I almost came out of my chair. It sounded like someone had fired a gun right outside my door. This happened several times over the course of the evening. In addition, I could clearly hear conversations taking place (grandparents telling a little girl how good she had been at dinner) and even a barking dog.

The internet was not working properly when I tried to log on. I called guest services which plugged me into the IT help desk. After waiting on hold for a couple minutes, the representative told me it was a problem other guests at this hotel were having. He fixed it and told me I would not be charged.

So bottom line, while everything else about the hotel was just fine, I would not stay here again. The internet issue can happen, but I travel a lot and one of the most annoying for me is to have to go back down to the desk for a room change (particularly when it is 20 floors down). I didn't ask for another room this time. I was tired and figured I could tough it out.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear jocnnr: We appreciate you taking time to tell us about your experience. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides out hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about the issues you encountered in your guestroom - we are investigating the issue and correcting this immediately. Our team members are dedicated to extending their very best to make each guest feel comfortable. Thank you again and we do help to welcome you back to the Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner soon.
Northern California
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This hotel is undergoing renovations and I don't know if they think they are done, but the hotel still has issues.

We arrived on a Friday at around 5pm. Our non-smoking king room was not ready, they said it would be an hour or so, so no big deal, we hung out with friends.

When the hotel called that the room was finally ready, we found that our room was not in the newer tower but in the older low-rise section. As we walked to our room, we found that the hallways were very dark and the elevator was old and unmaintained, with the emergency phone and wires literally spilling out from the panel. Also, the placement of the elevator is very inconvenient to the front desk - I suspect that the original hotel had the front desk elsewhere and when the tower was built the desk was moved to the new lobby.

We reached our room, which we found was not in bad shape, but not a king either (two doubles). After trudging with our bags back to the desk and informing them that it was not a king but two doubles, the clerk motioned to her screen and said that it was in their system as a king. (Note to hotel manager: this is the WRONG answer. Your guest, who just returned from the room, is not an idiot. "I'm so sorry, it's listed incorrectly in our system" is much better).

They promised to try again but it would be a couple more hours until a king was available. Eventually, it was, and to their credit they phoned us to let us know.

The room was fine and the beds comfortable. However there was cigarette-smoke smell in the room whiuch had been masked by perfurme. (I hate to blame the hotel for this since it's the guests who break the rules, not the hotel). Bathroom was OK but the shower head was not affixed to the wall properly and swung back and forth as the pipes flexed in the wall.

All in all, this hotel needs to get it's renovations right, especially the older low-rise. For the time being, I would make sure to ask for a room in the tower.

Room Tip: Ask for the tower
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank AndyTheGameInventor
FrankKuhns, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear AndyTheGameInventor: Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your experience at the Sheraton Premiere. We are disappointed to hear of the challenges you experienced during your stay. We do apologize for the frustrations you encountered at check-in, as our goal is to provide each guest with the best customer service possible. Our elevators will undergo a transformation over the next few months so to compliment the rest of the hotel. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, we will review your comments as a team, and look at how we can improve the overall experience for our guests.
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We spent three nights here when we attended a dance competition organized by the Arthur Murray studios in the greater DC area.

This is our third time staying here and it is apparent they have been doing some renovation to the common areas of the hotel. We had a room on the 22nd floor, which gave us access to the concierge lounge on the 24th floor. I have had bigger bathroom on cruise ships. The lighting in the room is very poor and it is a struggle to shave and comb your hair in the bathroom with poor lighting. The bed is average as far as being comfortable, however, it had more than adequate closet room, which was very nice for our dance costumes.

The concierge lounge is worthless. The eggs at breakfast on Saturday morning were cold and the staff less than helpful. Room service cost are ridiculously high and the food was average.

On the other hand the food for the banquet affair was very good, but the service here was terrible. This seemed to be a reoccurring theme at this Hotel, for every act of good service, was followed with twice the amount of poor service.

If the dance event was not held at this hotel, it would not be on my list of places to stay. But, alas, I am doomed to repeat because they hold the dance event here twice a year. Not the worst, but definitely not the best and plenty of room for improvement.

Room Tip: Concierge lounge is not worth the added costs
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello DWL thank your feedback on your recent stay. Customer service is very important to the overall experience of our guests. We are going to review your comments at the meeting managers meeting and connect with those departments where you encountered opportunity. Feedback is a gift and it is the only way we can make our hotel better for our guests! Thank you again for sharing.