“Underwhelming experience”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Los Angeles, California
“Underwhelming experience”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was asking for a one-hour late check-out extension, which was summarily and curtly rejected. I had to call again and even offered to pay for that measly extension. This was again rejected and I was offered a 30-minute extension and finally, after prolonged discussions, was finally given the full hour late checkout. Why I had to be subjected to the ordeal is beyond me – the person at the reception never even bothered to check my profile, never addressed me by my name and certainly never made me feel like I was a valued guest.

Having gained my precious hour extension, housekeeping then called my room to enquire on when I will be checking out – shouldn’t that be in the hotel system and rather than put the burden on the customer, why not enquire with the front desk? Some small details also leads me to believe this property's service quality, which used to be pretty good, is slipping:

• The room had no tissue paper;
• The shampoo and lotions were never replaced.
• Plastic cups instead of proper glasses in the room.
• The breakfast buffet was uninspired and unappetizing.

The hotel still has some value but this recent experience has made me take a second look at the many competitors in the area - Crowne Plaza, Marriott, Westin, Grand Hyatt (farther away at Reston) and Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ScottLB
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear ScottLB,
Thank you for your comments as we value your opinion! I’m hopeful we can earn your business the next time you are in Tysons area as I’m sure your opinion will change regarding our staff. Unfortunately we failed to communicate with you that the hotel was 100% occupied and other patrons were waiting in the lobby to check in. However; in the situation when the hotel is less than 100% occupancy, complimentary late check-outs are always honored. We do apologize for your inconvenience and the communication breakdown when the housekeeper knocked on your door. We value our guests and we want every guest to feel valued. We do hope you give us another chance to prove that to you and thank you again for the feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This got off to a bad start because when I made my reservation three weeks in advance thru Booking.com they were not supposed to charge me until my visit. Sheraton immediately charged my credit card 2-1/2X my booking rate. When I tried to contact Sheraton directly the "only" person who could fix it never answered her phone nor called me back. I contacted Booking.com and they got the charge reversed immediately.

At the hotel the check in staff was friendly and efficient. The room was good and comfortable. But they only had 3 elevators to service a 21 story tower. With multiple conventions in the hotel it too forever to get an elevator. Also, everything was an extra charge. They even wanted $9.95 for wifi. I thought Motel 6 was the only ones to charge wifi.

The gift shop sold some nice sweatshirts at a reasonable price. We bought 3, but. They had no (never had according to the clerk) bags big enuf to hold one sweatshirt, let alone 3.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Jay Y,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us about your experience at the Sheraton Tysons Corner hotel. I certainly appreciate the kind words about the “friendly and efficient staff and your room was good and comfortable”. I also understand the difficult time you had to go through in changing your reservation that was done by a third party (booking.com) and not directly through the hotel which is always easier through the hotel's web-site and less complicated. We still do not know if you had purchased the pre-paid discounted room reservation or the regular discounted daily room. There is a difference in the cost which the first one entitles the buyer to get additional discount on the rate as it is non-refundable vs. the second one. For either case we apologize for the distraction. I look forward to your feedback from your next stay! Thank you again.
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a dance convention. After an initial difficulty with the reservation, Nichole M. straightened it out and provided impeccable service. Following check-in, she called to make sure all was okay and she continued to touch base and provide assistance throughout the weekend. I wish all hotels had a Nichole M.!

Green Features: Was pleasantly surprised to find a recycling container in the room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Linda E,
We are delighted that we contributed to your comfort away from home and in making your experience during your Dance Conference such a joy. Thank you for your very kind words about Nichole and the service you received. We look forward to serve you again in the near future; we will also pass the credit to Nichole as she continues to impress everyone who interacts with her. Thank you again.
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Premiere a couple of weekends ago for my Daughter's dance competition. My wife made the the initial reservation for a king and it needed to be changed to 2 double beds. Long story short ... Nichole fixed the reservation AND called me a few hours after I checked-in to make sure the accommodations were correct. She was also instrumental in facilitating the delivery of a small refrigerator! I would absolutely stay there again. She was even able to help with a late check-out. Thanks again Nichole for your GREAT hospitality - Rick Esterson.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Mr. Esterson,
Thank you for taking the time to post and for your great praise of Nichole. Exceeding our guest expectations and ensuring that every guest leaves with great experience is what we do and we are thankful that you were able to recognize our efforts through Nichole's assistance! We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next visit to the Tysons area.
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here for a dance convention. Having a room just above where the action is, was wonderful. Check-in was easy and our room was fine, other than the bathroom is way too small and there is no fan. It steams up immediately when the shower is on, so getting ready while anyone sleeps is almost impossible if you have to keep the door shut. We used the mall shuttle to Tyson's. It was prompt, but the cloth seats were heavily soiled. Gross! The first night, the a/c wouldn't work. We called and a maintenance person came right away, and it was fixed quickly. The next day, during the convention, we tried to order sandwiches from the lounge restaurant, it took over 20 minutes standing in line to wait and get my food with only two people ahead of me. The service was not good! That night, we used the indoor pool. It was clean, and there was a very friendly lifeguard on duty. I tried to get a wake-up call when we returned to our room. I called the front desk numerous times over the course of an hour, and no one ever answered. I've never had that happen in any hotel I've ever stayed in! I finally had to set the alarm on my iPhone. The next morning I called down and tried ask a question about check-out. Again, no answer for over an hour. Unacceptable in my book! The wifi worked well, but they cut it off at check out, even though our convention went on until 4pm. No free lobby wifi. My overall impressions were: clean rooms, convenient (but dirty) mall shuttle, poor front desk service, extremely slow restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear c2nlilmom,
We are overall delighted that you enjoyed your stay, however I apologize on behalf of the staff that you did not get that "special" feeling you were looking for! One of our core values here is to "Feel Special" and I would invite you back so we can do just that for you! I am also surprised about the Lobby Wifi as it is always there and free of charge but there must have been other issues that must have interrupted the connection to your computer. Also, please keep in mind that the Wifi is also free of charge in the guest rooms on the weekends as well. I agree with your assessment regarding the 20 minutes wait on the sandwich and that should have been much quicker and we have addressed the issue with the staff accordingly. We do hope that you give us another chance to visit with us again next year during this same dance convention.
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 26 March 2014

To Whom it May Concern,

This email is to offer my sincere appreciation for the Sheraton Premiere DC staff. I have been visiting this hotel for the past ten years and no matter where my work location is or how far I need to drive in the surrounding area I always find my home at the end of the day at the Sheraton on route 7. I refer to the bar staff as my sisters as I have come to know them personally and have shared family stories as our children's lives have progressed throughout the years. Aster, Senait and Rigat always make me feel very important and welcome me with open arms and a special greeting. After a long day of travel from California to DC the highlight of my trip is seeing them and their warm smiles. They have always been gracious, caring and very professional.

The bar area is run very efficiently and the managers Jason and Leo make each guest feel safe and right at home. From the time I check in to the next morning wake up call from Max I can't think of a better experience than my stay here with this staff. While travel takes me away from my home that I miss - it is always made better by coming here at the end of each day. Please don't change a thing as this Sheraton is exceptional and special because of these very extraordinary and exceptional people.

Regards, Marla Likins

VP, Program Control, Leidos

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Marla L,
We too are happy that you are a loyal Guest of the Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner and that you always choose us while you are in the Tysons / McLean area! Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your stay. We are thrilled that you have had a wonderful experience with us from great service to the wonderful interaction with the staff. Aster, Senait, Regat and Max feel the same way about you and will be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back for another visit. Thank you again and I look forward to see you soon.
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I recently attended a workshop in the hotel and my experience was 'above and beyond' what I expected. Having access to the Sheraton Club services was especially convenient. And Sid, the 'host' there each morning elevated that experience to 'exceptional'. His warm greeting to all, his pride in providing great service, and his attention to detail around cleanliness, food presentation, and the general atmosphere made starting my day there a highlight. As well, his thoughtfulness in offering information and ideas for some time I planned in DC, including providing me a hotel brochure on the shuttle service, and even printing out a map locating a particular Gallery I wanted to see, made my stay definitely a most memorable and 'premier' experience!

The hotel itself is also lovely, with spacious rooms. most comfortable pillows, and great staff in other capacities too - like Vicky, whose personalized service at the front desk made me feel like she was actually connecting with me, and not just doing a required task.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Mike C, General Manager at Sheraton Tysons Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Marilyn O,
Thank you for the five stars! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and had great experience! Both Sid and Vicky will be very encouraged by your remarks. The club level certainly has its own exclusivity and we appreciate your description of the club level amenities to other future guests and TripAdvisor’s readers. We are also thankful that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back for another visit.