“Nice weekend of waterpark fun”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Urbanna
Bethpage Camp-Resort
Bristow, Virginia
“Nice weekend of waterpark fun”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My family rented one of the 3-bdrm cabins over the July 4th holiday weekend, and overall, it was a good time. We didn't have any issues with noise, but the cabins are set away from the RV campgrounds. I'm guessing that had something to do with it.

First, the cabins are TINY. The website says the 3-bdrm can sleep 8 people, but I cannot imagine 8 people in that cabin. The bedrooms are tiny, there is one tiny bathroom with a closet door, and a small LR and even smaller DR. For us, it was 2 adults and 2 small children, and we were tripping over each other. We ended up having to use a separate bedroom for our suitcases. It wasn't a dealbreaker, but the size was definitely a surprise!

The kitchen is well-stocked when it comes to pans and utensils; however, it is not stocked with any basics. Not even salt and pepper. I wasn't used to that.

We spent most of our time at the waterpark/pool area, and I was pleasantly surprised to not be overrun with people while there. Our kids had a great time in the little kid waterpark area. However, some bigger kids (too big to be in the little kid section) came over and kind took over the slides and water shoots. No one said anything to them or anything like that. Overall, the pool area was nice, but I could see how the big kid area could get a little chaotic. I like that they had an adults-only pool. The waterpark and pool area was marginally clean. I didn't feel icky, but it wasn't pristine. It was as clean as it could've been with that many people.

Our kids were too young for the activities, but we appreciated having a nice playground right by our cabin. There are actually several nice playgrounds spread through the campground, but watch out on hot days - the equipment can get VERY hot!

All in all, we did have a good time. Not sure if we'll go back or not yet.

4 Thank kb9906

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We were booked at Bethpage for a week-long camping trip. We reserved two adjacent camping spots with friends. As the week progressed, we kept noticing annoying bug bites on our ankles and upper bodies. They ended up being chiggers! We reported this to the staff, who said that we were "in the country" and chiggers are to be expected. We were told they do not spray for chiggers, they merely "keep the grass cut short" to handle them. We were told that a maintenance person would inspect our site that day. We left for the day, only to return to our sites to find that the grass had NOT been cut -- it was at least 4-5 inches tall in places. Fortunately, we had a weed eater with us, and cut the grass ourselves. If not for visiting family close by, we would have left mid-week. As it was, we cut our visit short by one day. We will not return here.

Room Tip: Be ready to be around a lot of other campers.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Roscoesmydog
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

The staff is great and helpful, smiling, and everything you want in great staff! My only complaint is that it is very very very very loud here at the campground! The golf carts drive up and down all night with music on high! The people are drunk. Some of the campers are scary looking and not friendly. I guess if I had a tattoo and a jacked up golf cart and a beer in my hand, I might fit in!

It's a shame because it is a beautiful place with a great pool, activities, ice cream shop and more. The kids love the playground and the children camping here are friendly. Not that you see their parents around. But then again they are most likely to busy with drinking and all.

Bottom line the owners of the campground need to get the golf carts of the property. It would improve this place with the loudness of the music, the drunks would stay at their campsite, and off the carts.

I can't wait to leave tomorrow!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank TMJ129
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

From MD and we just got back this past Sunday. The whole family stayed in one of the cottages. Although very small in size (don't bring a pack n play) the huge deck helped to make the place feel bigger. Our only issue was the floor. Our feet were black and there was no way I would let my baby crawl on the floor but that was the ONLY dirty thing in the place. We stayed across from the playground in skinny dip cabin 8. I can see how this would annoy some ppl but we loved having it right outside our front porch since I could let my 3 yr old play from sun-up till sun-down. Our neighbors were great and we actually ended up grilling and doing the campfire together. The pool was AWESOME and never seemed that crowded! The beach was nice but I lost my sunglasses in there and the fish were biting at our ankles. There was a man that was bitten on the back so we got out and went back to the pool but only after we got 2 jumps in off the water trampoline. The golf carts were so much fun and that's actually how we got the baby to sleep every evening. So relaxing and peaceful driving around checking out the campsite and ppls cool set ups. We had no problem with crazy driving or bad language and as a matter of fact my husband and I couldn't believe how polite EVERYONE was even the teenagers and small children. They all offered to help with our kiddos and said ma'am and sir. We believed this behavior came from good old fashion country child rearing and loved every second we were there. Oh while I'm at it just a tip. If you're going to take the cruise the bethpager pls try and take the 7pm cruise. We went at 4pm and it was very HOT but it was a nice trip with lots of history from the captain:) we can't wait to go back. AND for ppl trying to go on a major holiday it's of course going to be that much more crowded and annoying so think about that before booking. This past week seemed to be a very nice time to go!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Cortnmatt
PA
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I feel compelled to write a review after our two night trip to Bethpage Campground.
I check Trip Advisor prior to most travel arrangements and must admit I have a leery feeling about staying at BPCG. My wife is the one who picked the campground, so despite the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, we obviously went anyway.
Well I must say...the reviews in here could be no more further from what we experienced!
We were greeted at the gate by a very friendly attendant who welcomed us and informed us that if we pulled forward a campground host would take us to our site. So someone on a golf cart immediately directed us to our site and assisted me in backing in. He then asked if I would like assistance hooking up. What? That was crazy.
We hooked up, and walked to registration to sign in. We were amazed by how clean the resort is and how amazing the registration office/campground store is. We then walked to the water park/pool area. I was ready to be shocked by all the drunk people lying around listening to their loud music spewing vulgarities. Nope...nowhere. Just a bunch of friendly people drinking beverages in the adult pool while their kids were having fun on the water slides, basketball area, water lillie walk, etc. I was also very amazed that there was an abundance of lifeguard coverage on grounds. At any one time one could count at least 6 lifeguards covering the area. The water slides were amazing and my wife and I did them numerous times.
We then made our way to see the fresh water lake. Uh oh, same thing there...more adults with adult beverages! However, they were also likewise just having a fun time as civilized adults do. The second day of our stay I enjoyed floating in an inner tube on the lake, sipping on a margarita listening to a great mix of music being played throughout the campground while my wife laid on the beach doing the same and the kids played on the water trampoline. No hooligans, profanity, or drunks to be found.
Once Friday night came, there was then a huge abundance of golf carts going up and down the main street. I can see how this may bother someone who wants more of a 'natural feel' to their camping experience. But then I question, why would that sort of person even go to BPCG? Why would they not boondock in the wilderness? My family and I loved the 'parade of carts'. It was like watching a parade on Bourbon Street. As for noise, everything was simmering down by 10 and it was almost silent by 11. Once again, why go camping if you are looking to go to bed at 9P? We were the second site from the main drag and inside our motorhome we were completely isolated merely by having the a/c on.
When we checked out, we were very sad we couldn't stay for an additional day or two but told the once again very polite attendant at the gate that we would definitely be back again...maybe even later this year.
The only recommendation I would make to this campground (and trust me, there is very little they can do to make the place better) would be the sale of packaged goods. Or even a small adult-only bar somewhere on the site as our favorite campground Castaways has. However this is a pretty frivolous recommendation.

For those that enjoy camping out on the wilderness with very little human contact, BPCG is NOT for you. But for those of us that wish to be entertained and meet a bunch of friendly fun people in a 5 star rated campground, it doesn't get much better than this!

Room Tip: There are sites back off the beaten path and those right on the main drag. Depending what you are l...
10 Thank Eric H
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Ok this is a beautiful park with lots of amenities. But...the camp sites are disastrous. This week it is raining. We are fortunate to have a site on a little higher ground, however, most sites are drowning in mud. They have super sites, but with the prices they charge every space should be a super site. And what is the deal with no fire rings!!! Every site should have better drainage and a fire ring. I don't know how they consistently get high ratings when most people on tripadvisor are not rating them high.

3 Thank carolyn_hunter
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I really wanted to love this place. The staff is wonderful. The campground is spotless. The pool and fresh water beach were outstanding. The whole place is well taken care of. Bottom line - this place is just not safe. We stayed over the recent 4th of July Holiday. To leave our campsite was taking our lives into our own hands because of the volume, speed, and lack of control over the golf carts. There were 100's of rv sites filled this weekend, and it seemed like 3/4ths of them had or rented golf carts. For some reason, rules of driving did not apply to these people, and Bethpage did nothing to control them. People drove fast. People drove while drinking. People drove while texting. Many of these people were staff driving staff gold carts. Clearly underage kids drove, especially without adults. Teenagers did all of the above, just with lots of kids on the golf carts. Cross walks - merely advisory if people are in them, the carts just plowed through. I tried to ride my bike once, but it was just too scary. I couldn't walk my dog anywhere near the road - golf carts were swerving everywhere. I saw a small child on a big wheel, a young child on a bike, and a guy just walking on the side of the road almost get hit. It was just a terrifying situation. We won't be back as this place is just unsafe. If we hear that Bethpage is actually enforcing some rules, it would be a pleasure to return. What a shame!

Room Tip: Avoid RV Sites on the main road or on Cypress. The golf carts are worse here. Do not let kids ride...
2 Thank Luv2Travel_DoU
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbanna
Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
#1 of 1 in Irvington
Chesapeake Bay RV Resort
Chesapeake Bay RV Resort
#1 of 2 in Gloucester

Been to Bethpage Camp-Resort? Share your experiences!