“Kick butt 4th of July weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Urbanna
Bethpage Camp-Resort
Mechanicsville, Maryland
“Kick butt 4th of July weekend”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I went with my hubby and anther couple and we had a kick butt time. The people who worked there were great. We went to the pool, lake, water trampoline, biking, etc and everyone who we came in contact with was great. Claude, who was the main lifeguard at the pool was awesome! I will definately be going back!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ardufresne

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Mathews
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

In re. To goldy38 and the review that depicts the area surrounding Bethpage as "very poor", I respectfully dispute your assessment. Urbanna is a lovely little town inhabited by many hardworking year long residents. If you suffered an unfortunate experience at Bethpage it most likely involved the belligerent "intoxicated adults" you complained about. Depicting the residents of the local surrounding area as poor or desperate thieves is both inaccurate and unnecessary. I hope your future trips and accommodations away from home meet your standards, but the town of Urbanna should not be disparaged by your unfortunate experience on one isolated occasion.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Shanigirlpainter
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at Bethpage campground many times in the past and we have loved it. Unfortunately, over the years it has become nothing but a drukin party place. I have tried to address my concerns with the campground itself via Facebook and email, but the have not responded to me. So I thought I would share my experience with others:

Good Evening! I hope that the start of this camping season is going well. This is a post that I put on your Facebook page back on October with the thought that someone would have read it and maybe responded to it. But no such luck.... Then I remember that one day I made a post asking that if anyone read and responded to post that people made and answer was no. The suggestion was made that I send it in the form of an email. So now that the camping season is upon us, I thought that it was a good idea for me to express my concerns. The majority of the time that we come to Bethpage, we have an awesome time. There have been a few times when people have been drunk and belligerent and that didn't impress us very much. But because we didn't want to cause any problems (we had to stay there for the weekend) we didn't say anything. To be honest, for a long time we felt that Bethpage was known as the "Part Campground." For that reason we much prefer to come during the week than on the weekends. Up until last year, we had spent the last few years at Grey's Point for Halloween. Because we had friends coming to Bethpage, we decided that we were going to try it again. (We had stopped in the past because of no trick or treating). Now on to my post from Facebook:

"This was not a good weekend for me at Bethpage. People inside the tent were drunk, rude, and disrespectful. And their kids were just as bad destroying three props that were left there from earlier in the day. One kid was taking the tail of one rat and doing something that he shouldn't be doing with it to another rat and there were little kids standing there. His parents were there to but i guess they didn't care. Then some guy said to his friend as i picked up a skull his kids were bouncing back and forth on the table that "this was a kids event" as he walked over to the table that i put the skull on and he so nicely picked up and placed back on the other table. Well then kind sir control your kid and teach then not to destroy stiff that doesn't belong to them. And honestly, Bethpage should of had adult supervision inside just like they have the police riding around outside. I was very disappointed and I'm sure i made a few people mad at me in the tent. But there is a difference between having fun and being drunk and throwing a beanbag around and hitting people with it who didn't want to be hit and destroying property that didn't belong to you; like the pair of eyeballs that your child kept banging on the table."

So I am saying all this to let you know how disappointed I was in how the supervision was during this event. The lack of respect of the adults that are camping there. Are there any public intoxication rules? It doesn't make it look good in front of the kids. And it really does give the campground a bad name. I hope that plans will be put in place that this does not happen in the future, not only at the Halloween event, but at all events. I do want to compliment Clark and all of the lifeguards at the pool. They are always very respectful and on point.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Midniteracers
Mechanicsville, Maryland
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

A very expensive campground that is near no attractions. They have guards or Host as they call it who are mainly grumpy old men. They go around after 11 demanding that everyone go to sleep. Most don't pay 80.00 a night to go to sleep at 11. They also charge 15.00 yes $15 .00 a day to bring your own golf cart. The area that borders the campground is very poor and the locals often visit the campground at night to steal beer from coolers,bicycles and golf carts.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank goldy38
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I enjoyed my stay even with the numerous RVers and Campers here. With a special event going on as such and this campground being so close to the events and meeting campers needs was a Wow!! It's nice to visit a place that allows people the freedom to "party" so to speak and enjoy their stay-I however am not a "partier" but found that part of my fun was just being around the atmosphere, people were friendly and even gave us a ride to the entrance of our campsite road after we had gotten off the hay wagon ride back to the campground! That to me is what camping is all about !
My only complaint is regarding the women's showers-the water comes out so hard when you have to pull the cord and it hurts if the spray hits a certain part of our anatomy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crochet1
Bristow, Virginia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My family rented one of the 3-bdrm cabins over the July 4th holiday weekend, and overall, it was a good time. We didn't have any issues with noise, but the cabins are set away from the RV campgrounds. I'm guessing that had something to do with it.

First, the cabins are TINY. The website says the 3-bdrm can sleep 8 people, but I cannot imagine 8 people in that cabin. The bedrooms are tiny, there is one tiny bathroom with a closet door, and a small LR and even smaller DR. For us, it was 2 adults and 2 small children, and we were tripping over each other. We ended up having to use a separate bedroom for our suitcases. It wasn't a dealbreaker, but the size was definitely a surprise!

The kitchen is well-stocked when it comes to pans and utensils; however, it is not stocked with any basics. Not even salt and pepper. I wasn't used to that.

We spent most of our time at the waterpark/pool area, and I was pleasantly surprised to not be overrun with people while there. Our kids had a great time in the little kid waterpark area. However, some bigger kids (too big to be in the little kid section) came over and kind took over the slides and water shoots. No one said anything to them or anything like that. Overall, the pool area was nice, but I could see how the big kid area could get a little chaotic. I like that they had an adults-only pool. The waterpark and pool area was marginally clean. I didn't feel icky, but it wasn't pristine. It was as clean as it could've been with that many people.

Our kids were too young for the activities, but we appreciated having a nice playground right by our cabin. There are actually several nice playgrounds spread through the campground, but watch out on hot days - the equipment can get VERY hot!

All in all, we did have a good time. Not sure if we'll go back or not yet.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank kb9906
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We were booked at Bethpage for a week-long camping trip. We reserved two adjacent camping spots with friends. As the week progressed, we kept noticing annoying bug bites on our ankles and upper bodies. They ended up being chiggers! We reported this to the staff, who said that we were "in the country" and chiggers are to be expected. We were told they do not spray for chiggers, they merely "keep the grass cut short" to handle them. We were told that a maintenance person would inspect our site that day. We left for the day, only to return to our sites to find that the grass had NOT been cut -- it was at least 4-5 inches tall in places. Fortunately, we had a weed eater with us, and cut the grass ourselves. If not for visiting family close by, we would have left mid-week. As it was, we cut our visit short by one day. We will not return here.

Room Tip: Be ready to be around a lot of other campers.