“Must Be Under New Management”

Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North
Ranked #4 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Must Be Under New Management”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My Family and I have stayed at this Hampton at least 4 other times and this past visit was by far the worst. When we arrived Thursday Evening one elevator was inoperative and the other elevator took about 15 minutes to reach the ground floor. My Mother in Law had a torn ACL and had to use the stairs twice that evening. On Friday morning after attending a graduation at the Coast Guard Training Center, I asked if I could get an additional parking pass for my nephew "who just graduated" and was told very bluntly, no you can't have a pass your nephew will have to park down the street at the parking garage. Later Friday afternoon My Wife took the kids to the pool only to find the water practically freezing and the Hot Tub scorching hot. Was unable to utilize or enjoy the amenity. On Saturday morning we were running a little behind and asked for a 1:00 PM check out. Once again we were told no that the latest we could check out would be 12:00. At that point I had my family forego their morning showers and commence packing their bags immediately so we could vacate the premises. The Manager and the Front Desk Staff were terrible. I felt as if we were being treated in an adversarial manner instead of as guests. The only saving grace for the entire stay was the House Keeping Staff and the Women who was serving breakfast in the morning who were both extremely polite and helpful. If it wasn't for them I would have rated this stay very poor. You can bet the next time We travel to VA Beach we will be exploring other options.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

hamptonvboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your stay did not go as expected. The management team has discussed your feedback in detail to indentify opportunities to improve. We are one of the few oceanfront hotels that offer complimentary onsite parking, but it is limited to one space per room so that all guests can park. There is a parking garage across the street for overflow. We do appreciate your recognition of our housekeeping and breakfast teams, and hope that you will consider us the next time you are in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Fort Campbell, Kentucky
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Was in town for my son's navy re-deployment. The location was in a reasonable distance to the naval base. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was reasonably priced and always clean. It was cold both nights of our stay. The parking was limited to parking spot per room however, there was public parking on a few feet away for a reasonable price. The view was gorgeous even on a gloomy day.

Room Tip: If traveling in multiple cars, be prepared to spend about $10 per day for public parking.

Westport, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I want to say that I am a huge fan of Hampton Inn, as a general rule. NOT this one, I would not stay here again. Upon our arrival, the room seemed ok, not great. Thankfully, my family insisted we not use the a/c blower all night long, upon it being stuffy in the morning I turn the unit on... My daughter begins sneezing non stop & I notice black things on the bed where I am sitting. Upon remaining in my spot the next few minutes I realize the black clumps are coming from the unit and blowing all over!! Upon using the stairs to go down to breakfast (one of the 2 elevators was totally broken, with NO signage) I shared my great concern over the situation at the desk & shared my loyalty to Hampton Inn in general... The lead man on really doesn't react at all until I state that it is mold, or something, when he states adamantly that he can guarantee it is not mold, ready to cry I head to the breakfast that is over-crowded, under worked for the current hotel capacity (Olivia, working breakfast was extremely sweet & helpful!) the man from the desk approaches my table to share that the situation has been taken care of & informs me that as a prank the last guest stuffed confetti into the unit & that was the stuff coming out!!! Please view the pictures, as this was clearly NOT any confetti! My husband shares his concern regarding my daughter & the air & has to ask about changing rooms! He comes back to say we can switch rooms (never offers to see the concern or to change rooms etc) we move floors - no offer of assistance given (again 1 elevator for everyone in the place, including housekeeping) the new room much cleaner, my husband wants the front man to see the "stuff" prior to exiting our original room as one entire suitcase of clothes has a layer on it, as well as the bed nearest the unit. Upon him seeing it he offers we could wash our laundry & he would provide the soap!! My husband shared my great concern & that I would expect something more than soap- my husband is able to get the night comped but upon my continued disappointment & checkout to the satisfaction plague, I felt I needed to offer my review...
The pool area was VERY dirty, the vent/fan unit near the stairs for the pool was covered in black (I believe mold) the hot tub area was also dirty, the floor & ceiling gross! In hindsight, wish we had relocated to a different property for the remainder of our stay..

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank 5jbm
hamptonvboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your stay. We regret that your stay did not go as you had expected, and apologize for the inconvenience caused by the air conditioning and elevator. The management team has reviewed your feedback for opportunities to improve, and remains committed to making sure that every guest is happy.
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Went for spring break 3-day weekend. This hotel is clean and the hospitality was excellent. Great location with a room on the ground floor that you could literally walk outside the door to the beach. Nice amenities and good location, but off-season entertainment choices in the immediate area are limited. Good value and we would stay again. Hope the weather is warmer later in the year!

Room Tip: All rooms front the ocean. Ground floor puts you right onto the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We're on our 2nd night of our 3 night/4 day stay ... I was checked into an uncleaned room; with little remorse or apology given / only 1 elevator worked; took 10-15 minutes for the other one / staff did not have clean, uniformed look / some staff seemed bothered by requests / called down to get a bottle opener and noone ever came / woman at front desk was helpful / pillows are wonderful / the manager (who should have truly been dressed more professionally) was VERY helpful; showed my husband where to put our motorcycle / the view is glorious

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Can't beat the location. I have stayed here twice thus far on business. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The views are great. Staff is courtious and helpful.The hotel was booked solid this last visit. Lots of families, young children, teens and young adults- appeared to be vacationing. Even with the large volume of guests, my room was quiet and I encountered no problems at all. There was one elevator not working and some folks,(especially with small children) were noticibly bothered.
There is a plus at this Hampton Inn- They offer room service. There is a pub/bar and they will deliver to your room. Food is not fabulous, but can have a drink with a view after a long day. Not to worry, there are several restaurants within walking distance which would surely satisfy any specific palette.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

First I would like to say that my family and I have stayed at this property many times in the past and have never had any problems or concerns. I would also like to complement the housekeeping staff member who serviced our room (807) during our entire stay. She was exceptionally friendly and very helpful. Now for my concerns... 1) We checked in very late due to problems encountered during our travel. Upon entering our room and turning on the lights, we noted that the light above the room door was out. No real big deal, but we called the desk to report and have it fixed the next day. The light was never fixed during our stay. 2) Sometime on Saturday (4/12) one of the only two elevators broke. No one notified the guests and no sign was ever posted on the elevator door or anywhere explaining the lack of an elevator. Some waits were as much as 15 minutes to catch an elevator ride. On the morning of our departure (4/15) after making 3 trips to hand carry our items to the car so as to not take up so much room in the only working elevator, that elevator got stuck on the 7th floor with the door open and everyone on it was scared to death. Everyone got off of the elevator and decided to walk down the seven flights. We informed the front desk personnel and they only stated that they hoped the part for the other elevator would arrive soon. They showed no concern over guest safety. This was absolutely unacceptable. 3) The breakfast bar was average. The one issue we had was that there was one staff member who complained all the time and even refused a guest request because there was only 20 minutes left until breakfast was over.

I am embarrassed for the Hilton Brand at this properties lack of concern and too angry to confront them when I was checking out due to their lack of concern over the elevator issue. As stated earlier, I have vacationed at this property many times and have always enjoyed my stays. It is very apparent that the current management is lacking in ensuring guest comfort, communication, and safety. I will no longer recommend this property to others as I have in the past, as I was not satisfied and do not have confidence in the current hotel management.

Room Tip: Stay next door.

1 Thank Mike C
hamptonvboceanfront, Manager at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for posting your review, we are always delighted to hear from our guests! It’s nice to see such loyal customers that return to our hotel often. We do want to apologize for the inconvenience regarding the elevators. We understand your frustration, especially since you were on a higher floor. Technicians came out and worked diligently on the problem for 2 days. We are also looking into better ways to communicate issues such as these that affect everyone in the building. We hope that you may come and stay with us again in the future.

Brittany Nosay