“Excellent hotel but should have a pool outdoors.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North

Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Excellent hotel but should have a pool outdoors.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Everything was perfect at the Hampton except for a pool outdoors that was the only draw. the staff was excellent the rooms clean the beds were so comfortable I recommend this hotel but it really does need a hotel pool outside.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Zelfa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was a great hotel. Close to the beach, which wasn't crowded. Right on the boardwalk and next to a great green space that had various entertainment throughout the weekend. The room was large and well kept.

Room Tip: We chose the king suite. It was huge!

2 Thank Jessica P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first time staying at Virginia Beach but we will be back. The hotel was perfect for a quick family getaway the staff was very helpful and the room was just what we wanted. Can't wait to return

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank TerryH1982
hamptonvboceanfront, Manager at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review and staying with us recently. I am glad to hear you had a great time. We are looking forward to having you again!
Have a fabulous day!

Brittany Nosay
Sales & Marketing MAnager
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here over the weekend and found the hotel staff to be very welcoming, the room was clean and comfortable and had a nice view. Very nice, family oriented location at VA beach. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Yorktown, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We visited Virginia Beach for a over night get away. Hotel was perfect. Great value, service, and location! The complimentary breakfast had a great variety of options. The staff working during breakfast was super friendly and enthusiastic. Would visit again!

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a tough one. Here is what is positive about the Hampton Inn Oceanfront North: great location, beautiful view from the balconies, nice breakfast, and friendly, pleasant staff. However, one glaring problem with this property was its cleanliness.
We arrived around midnight exhausted from the long drive in, and the room we were given was very dirty. There was a layer of dust under the bathroom sink, the mirrors in the bathroom and room were spotted and filmy, the toilet was not clean and there were hairs on the bathroom floor.When I picked up the phone to call the front desk, I noticed a crust of dirt on the earpiece and mouthpiece of the receiver. I called the front desk to let them know about this situation although I was too tired to switch rooms at this point. The woman at the front desk, Jagruti, was very apologetic and offered to upgrade our room. I ultimately agreed to this and Jagruti came to our room with new room keys. Jagruti was so kind and pleasant-she was a star. She escorted us to our new room, handling our luggage (we told her we would handle it, but she insisted) and ensured the room was acceptable to us in terms of cleanliness (it was much better than our first room, but definitely not without issue). She even offered us ice cream "on the house" as a treat after our ordeal. She is an asset to the Hampton Inn, as is her workmate who was with her at the front desk (didn't get her name but she worked nights and had long blonde hair) who was just as helpful.
When I went to bed that night, I looked up at the wall above my bed and there were small dust bunnies clinging to it. The next day when we opened up the curtains to our balcony, the sliding glass doors were filthy. Hand prints, finger prints, nose prints, and a general layer of dirt covered the glass. The view was amazing, but this definitely detracted from it. As it turns out, housekeeping does not clean the glass doors in the rooms (per our housekeeper) so a maintenance man was sent to do it. He was very pleasant as well and he did a wonderful job cleaning the glass. When housekeeping came to service the room later on, it began to make sense as to why these rooms were dirty. The bare minimum was done to clean the room. At one point, the housekeeper put her foot on one of the dirty towels in the bathroom and moved it around the floor to clean it. No dusting was done either. When my travel companion asked her to vacuum, the housekeeper had to run to the other end of the hall to retrieve it. This makes me feel like this is not standard practice. Don't get me wrong, the housekeeper was nice, but I got the feeling she was overwhelmed.
When I went to the pool later that day, the water seemed very clean. However, the walls/edge around the pool had what looked like a green, mold-like substance on it. Another small issue I encountered was that parking can be difficult. After doing some sightseeing, I arrived back at the hotel at around 2230 and there were NO spots to be had, even though I had a parking pass associated with my room. One of the staff at the front desk ended up moving his vehicle so I could park--I appreciated this more than he probably knows,
Ultimately, this hotel has a great foundation to be one of the better hotels on Virginia Beach--friendly, helpful, and pleasant staff, great location, gorgeous views, comfortable rooms and beds with lots of pillows. They even had Neutrogena bath products, which I loved. The problem here is the cleanliness. I certainly don't need a luxury hotel, but it's not an unreasonable expectation to want a clean room. That is what ultimately guides my choice of hotel when I travel. If the cleanliness of this hotel improved, it would be a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with someone who is elderly/disabled, ask for a room close to the elevators...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cabolina
hamptonvboceanfront, Manager at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your wonderful comments about Jagruti and our staff! My apologies for the rooms and your inconvenience to move rooms at such a late hour. We have brought the above comments to housekeeping's attention and will ensure this will not be a recurring issue. Parking can become a problem at times but we ensure that vehicles parked here are either staff or guests only as best we can.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we hope that you'll stay with us again when you visit Virginia Beach!

-Brittany Nosay
Sales & Marketing Manager
Dumfries, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have stayed in some very nice Hampton Inns. This one was low on the quality. I was not surprised when I was told it had been another lower brand hotel. Maybe I am a bit choosey, I admit but as a Gold Hilton Honors member I was placed on the 2nd floor above the dining room and bar. I have never encountered this anywhere. Exact opposite accommodations from my profile.
Yes the room was clean but quite small and dated. The price was outrageous for the accommodation . I will return to Virginia Beach, but will never do a Hampton Inn there.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and ask for a higher floor. they all have room a/c units.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hamptonvboceanfront, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience was not as expected. We researched your concerns, and found that as an HHonors Standard Rewards Stay, you were placed on the appropriate floor. The king room type request on your profile was accommodated despite this being an upgrade from the standard rooms reward.

The hotel was completely rennovated in 2008 when it became the Hampton Inn Oceanfront North in an attractive, resort theme. It has always been maintained to strict Hampton brand standards, and most of our guests enjoy their experience here.