“Comfortable Night's Sleep”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Comfortable Night's Sleep”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

First, I must start by saying I do not like to sleep in hotels. I do not like to sleep anywhere other than my own bed. I never sleep well if I'm not at home. I'm rather particular about the things I need to sleep. I was surprised by the Sheraton's comforts. The biggest thing I hate about hotels are the blankets. I hate the thin layered blanket. I need a big, heavy comforter to sleep. The Sheraton actually had a decent comforter. This is huge to me and my ability to sleep. I was so happy with this. The mattress and pillows were comfortable as well. The bathroom was quite nice. I like tile work. I also very much enjoyed and Jacuzzi in the room. It was so nice to have a hotel room where I could get a decent night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you taking the time to tell us about your stay. I hope you had a great holiday season. I am happy to hear you were able to get a good nights rest. That was the goal when Starwood created the Sweet Sleeper Bed for Sheraton. If you ever want to own any items from the bed set you can purchase them online at our website. I hope we get to see you again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My father in law placed first in a golf tournament and he won a two night, with free breakfast included, stay at this Sheraton and he gave it to us to use.

Booking the stay was super easy and the ladies in the department handling gift certificates were super nice and super helpful.

We are locals and live in Virginia Beach, so I know this property has been around for awhile. I thought I read somewhere, though, that the hotel had some upgrades and renovations. The lobby was super pretty- decorated for the holidays. Valet guys were very responsive and helpful. Although she was friendly, the young lady who checked me in was very unkept. I am sorry- but I am such a stickler for first impressions and professionalism. Her shirt was untucked and she was very wrinkled. She was nice though.

The room was tiny and just... old. The fixtures (like floors and shower) were cracked. I should have taken a picture of the shower knob- it was filled with rust or grime or something nasty. The beds were not comfortable. We had a heck of a time pulling the door open. The toilet ran all night long.

We had breakfast in the restaurant - and that was probably the best part about this hotel. Though the food was average- the customer service was awesome. We were the only ones eating there this morning and the hostess, bartender and our waitress were very customer service oriented (I told you that I was big on customer service) and very responsive.

We spent about two hours in the pool. They say it's salt water and this is the first time EVER that I have felt my skin and hair so dry- despite two showers, a ton of moisturizer and conditioner, hours later I still feel the dryness. It was also pretty aged but as clean as it could be for as old as it appeared.

All in all we were so unimpressed, we checked out one day early. We decided to skip another free night and free breakfast at this place and we head on home. Disappointing. I told the girl at the front desk that we were checking out early because we were disappointed. She said "ok" and didn't bother to ask why. I wouldn't pay to stay here but not bad for a free stay,

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms do provide a pretty view of the ocean and boardwalk.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I will take the time to address the concerns you raised regarding your check in and check out time with my staff. We are very committed to providing the best possible service to our guest and that means continually working with our staff to make sure they understand how our guests feel and think. I have passed your wonderful comments about the staff in the restaurant on to their manager so that she can recognize them for their service. Thank you for also telling us about the running toilet in your room. The front desk agent was able to pass that along to maintenance as soon as you left and they were able to fix quickly. It helps when our guests inform us of things like that because sometimes they can come up unexpectedly. I do hope you give us a second try in the future and that you also have a happy holiday season!
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night on the night after Thanksgiving. The weather was cold so we spent some time at the indoor pool. The pool is very large and great for kids
Parking is free for either valet or in the garage across the street.
The room was comfortable. A suite with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa.
Don't forget to hit the master power switch or the bathroom lights won't work.

Stayed November 2013
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay Mr. Mulligan! It was a pleasure have you and your family with us for the holiday. I am glad everyone was able to enjoy the indoor pool. I hope you bring the family back during the summer season so you can enjoy the outdoor pool and the warmer weather. I hope you and your family continue to have a nice Holiday season!
San Diego CA
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed for one night on a business trip. Pretty cold outside soI decided to stay in for food and what a surprise! I had Crab Cakes and Cheesecake in the bat! Marvelous! I believe Samantha helps me out and service was fabulous. Made my evening. The front desk staff was great as well. I mentioned that I had an early flight so they kept my car parked right up front for a fast get away in the morning. Perfect. I experienced poor wifi as well but I suspect it was the same time as the other reviewer. One final note - the ice machine was the loudest I have run across in years. Noisy!!! There is one louder at the Courtyard inHigh Point NC. Please consider replacing.

Room Tip: Stay far from the ice. Machine!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank United858
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am glad our front desk staff along with Samantha in the restaurant made your stay the best possible. Maintenance has seen your comments regarding the ice machine and they have started looking into the source of the noise. I hope we see you the next time you are in town!
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed for one night at a fantastic rate. This on the North End of the boardwalk which really makes a difference. Beautiful ocean view. Schools of dolphins visible in the morning. Dogs on the beach Labor Day through Memorial day. Friendly front desk staff. Everyone was very accommodating. Pet deposit a bit high so left pet at home. Beach access from the rear of the hotel when the gates are unlocked. Of course the beds are very comfortable as with all Sheraton Hotels. Lots of extras for the money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lance M
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy to hear you had such a wonderful time. If you would like to bring your pet with you next time you are more than welcome to as we actually don't have a pet deposit. The only time we charge a fee for pets is if there is some damage done to the room after the pet as stayed in it. I hope we get to see you again soon!
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We visit this hotel often as it is located close to my son's college. It's a beautiful property with bright vibrant decor, large comfy rooms with oceanfront balconies, great location, and a "better than the norm" oceanview restaurant and workout room (the ellipticals and treadmills all have an ocean/pool view, which is a nice touch). Also, the cleanliness of the rooms deserve a special shoutout -- housekeeping does a fantastic job. The 'very' white bathroom in our suite was truly the cleanest of any hotel I've ever stayed in (which includes the Ritz Carlton).

...and of course THAT BED!!! The word 'comfortable' doesn't even come close to describing the experience.

Another reason why I love this property is because the general area where it is located is undergoing a major transformation, and with each visit we are discovering more new stores and restaurants that are in walking distance to the hotel. If we must use the car, the valet service is fantastic. In fact, the whole staff is as professional as they come. Kudos to the general manager for orchestrating such a well run operation.

This is my 2nd review of this property, and my first review was critical of the SPG Platinum recognition (or lack thereof), but boy what a difference a few months can make! Tremendous improvement on that end. On this visit, however, I did experience issues with the wifi on my android device, which is the only reason this review isn't a 5. Other than that, it was a perfect stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie C
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to the hotel. I am happy to hear we were able to improve your welcome as a Platinum member with Starwood Hotels. We take great pride in our service and try to live up to brand standard 100% of the time. I have passed your comments about the Wi-Fi onto our maintenance department to see if there is something to look into. I hope we get to see you again very soon.
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We came for girls' weekend during off season. Our friend, who is a member, booked a room with points. The first room was an odd room without a real window and the bathtub under that "window". One visit to the front desk fixed that- the next room still showed some air vents from the roof, but we could see the ocean and was fine. The room was neat and clean. The bed was very comfortable and cozy. The lattes at the hotel restaurant were delicious. What really made the stay was JoAnn, our mixologist. Give her any flavor and she will make a delicious (and well made) cocktail. She was the best! Our server Chris was a really friendly guy too.

The only thing I would suggest is having some sort of free breakfast or at least coffee bar. I know the room has a coffee maker, but it's not the same as a good fresh brewed coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Tia M, Front Desk Supervisor at Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am happy to hear Joanne and Christ were able to make your girls weekend enjoyable. We take great pride in our staff and it is nice to hear when they were able to make a stay special. I hope we see you again in the future!