“Excellent”

Econo Lodge on the Ocean
Ranked #6 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I stayed here a few months ago but unfortunately have not had the chance to make a Tripadvisor review until now. This was the best Econo Lodge experience I have ever had. Their parking lot is the perfect size and the rooms are nice, clean, and comfortable. You can literally walk out your back door and just a few steps onto the beach. There was a safe in the room, and a very cold fridge/freezer. Every employee we ran into was incredibly nice, and the man working front desk let us keep the car in the lot before we checked in/after we checked out so we could enjoy more time on the beach. The only complaint I had was that breakfast was a little bit sparse but it was acceptable, considering most oceanfront hotels do not even offer breakfast in the rate. I would love to stay here again sometime soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the bottom floor, so you can just walk to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Kristen Q

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I selected this hotel based on the reviews. and the review were right. Great location right on the beach. When you check in you will see a wall full of awards. Now I know why. Nice FREE breakfast. But the one thing is the staff, Everybody had a smile and were as friendly as could be. I'll be back

Room Tip: All the rooms are beach front. I think there are only about 35 rooms so you will never be over-run...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank izzyscott
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

Friendly & professional staff, and that was everyone, not just the front desk crew.

Rooms are clean, quiet, oceanfront, get tremendous morning light but have superb near-blackout curtains if you want to sleep past dawn.

You can pay a lot more in Virginia Beach for lodging (and it's a roll of the dice, because even some of the pricey places don't get you what you paid for). You can pay a lot less (and get really bad accommodations).

The Econo Lodge is a really superb little hotel on the ocean.

Things that stood out:
room refrig worked great & the temp was actually adjustable! unlike so many room fridges that are obviously in need of replacement;
clean, this place was so clean;
the free beach cruiser bikes for guests to use - - awesome;
only steps to the beach;
walk to many restaurants, or take the bikes;
good, friendly people who want to help out.

I recommend this hotel & I will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have lots of 'stuff' to carry, you may want to select a ground floor room. This hote...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank fawlcon
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights and I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and had what we needed: the coffee maker, the hair dryer, etc. Importantly there was no smell of moldiness and humidity that you get in other hotels by the beach All the rooms have a view on the ocean. It was great to be able to sip coffee on the balcony and watch dolphins! The hotel was not cheap, well over $200 a night in a weekend but I was very satisfied.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Yolande M
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

After reading all of the positive reviews, I was a bit of a skeptic. This hotel has been here since I was stationed at NAS Oceana in 1981, and even then it was one of the older and smaller ones. But it is maintained WAY above average! Fresh paint, carpet, flat screen tv's... etc.

What a GEM!! The service here is absolutely the BEST on the beach. And I can qualify that statement because I have stayed at every one of them except the Hilton.

The rooms and grounds are maintained exceptionally well.
The beds are comfy and clean. And I am a clean freak!

Keep in mind that this is the 'Econo-Lodge on the Ocean'. There are two.
The pool is heated and very clean. A bit small, but the ocean is right out front!

The breakfast is basic. Danish, muffins, bagels, oatmeal, cereal, fruit, OJ, milk, and FANTASTIC coffee. But I personally dont select a hotel based on breakfast.

There are just 3 levels, no elevator, but even though I am mobility impaired that wouldn't be a problem.

This is also the ONLY hotel on the oceanfront that has the courtesy to actually reserve handicap parking spots, and the staff will assist in parking if necessary as they are a bit narrow.

I just love this little hotel and we will definately be back.

Room Tip: They are all good! The ground level rooms enter right out to the boardwalk!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank OhYew812
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

The first week of August I brought my stepdaughter and her best friend for a couple of days at the beach. I called last minute for the room and was told they could only book us for two nights, not three. I understood the situation and decided I'd try and find another place for the third night. The Staff at Econo new my situation and were very proactive in arranging a room for me the third night. We had to move rooms, but I was very grateful not to have to change hotels! The staff helped us move our things when it came time to change. The hotel is a little older but kept very nice. Everything was clean and nice and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. We liked having the bikes available also. I definitely recommend this place in the sun!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BLouise59
Elmsford, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here twice this spring (end of May, End of June) and will go back again. The staff is so friendly and helpful you will not notice the hotel is not the newest or biggest on the beach. This is our choice for a clean and convenient hotel, nice pool and free bike rentals are a plus.

Room Tip: upper floors have better ocean view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family