“Expectations and Ratings....in the eyes of the beholder..”

Econo Lodge on the Ocean
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Massachusetts
“Expectations and Ratings....in the eyes of the beholder..”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I rarely give an "excellent", but feel that this is an excellent property to make a point which this property makes well.

We were there a few days before the 4th of July and area and this hotel were near full, (if not full). Parking, breakfast area, therefore were full capacity.

I like tripadvisor and other review sights to help me set expectations. Some skim them and just look at the score. Based on price, staff and location, this is a #3 of 150 hotel, but this does not mean that it would meet expectations of those looking for a pristine room at a 5-star hotel.

Hotel is one of the oldest on the "strip". Those who like to run around with cameras and take pictures of what they feel are defects will have plenty of ammo. Despite coats of paint, rust spots on door hinges, especially near the ocean are fairly certain sites. AS such, those folks should avoid this hotel.

For others comparing price, location, amenities and staff, this 38 room 3-story Econo Lodge, with no elevator, and yes, tight parking is a winner.

From the beginning GM Leonard quickly answered a pre-arrival question for me and inquired about my arrival time. On site, I was astonished at the smiling staff from counter, to cleaning, to maintenance. Even Dan looked fresh after wresting the 18 foot alligator out of the swimming pool. (Joke on the alligator, no sharks either). I was further astonished at the size of the staff for so few rooms. They fanned out, did their work, and smiled, asking, (not having to be asked) if we needed anything. I've travelled much from very low end to moderately high end all inclusives. I can't think of any US facility where staff has been friendlier.

The tight parking was a challenge for me, in our CR-V with my limited neck/back mobility, but someone could always be found to help. If you are towing, you might have a problem. Unlike other facilities nearby, everything was onsite and easy in/out. Beat walking two blocks every time you needed something.

Location: If you took one of the 12 first floor rooms, you can step out on the boardwalk. If you take one of the upper floor rooms, you trade having to walk around the building to the beach for a great view and slightly more privacy.

Right at 28th street you are about 2/3rds "up" the board walk. Restaurants abound, mixed value there, but something for everyone.
(Boardwalk is about 3 miles long). Included Bicycles are great for getting an overall tour.

AC worked well. Had to turn it down most of the time.

Wifi Seemed weak a few times from our third floor room, but found that multiple routers did show up on the menu, and found one that had a strong signal after experimenting.

Breakfast was slightly below par, I expected the basic cold breakfast from other reviews, but a few more fruit choices would have been nice, and area was tight to navigate. Tables outside by the pool worked well with Dan ensuring the umbrellas were functioning. Staff was great there too, quickly refreshing the coffee and orange juice. Several full service breakfast spots nearby, and we were content with what was included overall.

Price: By joining the free Choice Hotel program, we got a better deal than other "clubs", AAA, discount programs I usually use, but even without the extra discount rooms were about $40-60 per night lower than larger hotels next door. I prefer the smaller hotels, easy in/out, etc, so while this was a great choice for us, others might prefer to go where the overhead is higher.

Again, it's about perception. If you're a value hunter, but want right on the beach, I recommend Econo Lodge. If you're a bit of a connoisseur who doesn't to maybe get slightly jostled at a small cold breakfast bar, needs an elevator, or needs a fresh look everywhere, you probably should look for a hotel that doesn't have "ECONO" in it's name.

Virginia beach is quite a drive for us, but it's a great beach and the area is rich in history from Jamestown, to Yorktown, to Richmond Civil War. We most likely will return and if we do, it won't take me any time at all next time picking my hotel.

Room Tip: No Elevator. First floor rooms open to the beach in the rear. Second/third floor rooms great view o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ed W
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I often thank a reviewer for taking their time to submit a review, but in this particular case I'm not sure that thank you really says enough! We very much appreciate the honest and very thorough review. We believe our hotel offers one of the best values on the beach and it seems that you would agree. Our people make the difference, and our entire staff will be encouraged that you singled them out for attention. I am fortunate to have such a great team. Thank you very much your business. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Wadsworth, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family and I were very pleased with this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and provided great service - I felt that I got to know them on a personal basis over our five night stay. The night manager, especially, was helpful in getting us settled in at 1:30 am after a very long drive.The rooms are not the largest around, but we were surprised that they ran the depth of the building. For our ground floor room, we entered the from the lobby/parking lot through the front door and exited to the boardwalk/beach through the back - very convenient for making a quick trip to the ocean. The one caveat to this facility is the very tight parking area - it is barely big enough to hold all of the guest vehicles. The staff, however, do a great job of managing the arrangement, and we were happy to see private security patrolling the lot at night. Overall, I felt that our money was well spent, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room - the boardwalk and beach are 30 feet from your door.
1 Thank Thomas U
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. The staff will be happy to read this and appreciate that that their efforts were recognized. We will agree that our parking lot is tight, and glad the staff took care of assisting with getting you parked. The good news on parking is that all our guests have a place on site to park, rather than at a satellite lot a block or more away from the property. We do hope to have you back again look forward to that opportunity. Thank you again!
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I loved this little treasure on the beach! We were a little skeptical at first; but it was so nice. All the rooms are ocean front. The pool is a tucked away oasis. It was super clean. The faculty was very nice and helpful. They had decent coffee. Great location in the midst of everything with the major event tents several blocks down on either side. It was both central and yet quiet. The hotel also offers free bike rental. Since the hotel is small, fewer people crowd the beaches in front of it as I've experienced in larger hotels. We're already planning our next trip back!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor. It was nice because you could walk straight out to the beach. However, we did...
1 Thank Lindsey E
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
What a great review! We appreciate the kind words and thank you very much for taking the time to submit your thoughts. The best part for all of us is that you plan to return and we get the chance to do it all again! We will be sure to keep the coffee hot and fresh. See you soon.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 19 June 2014

First off, I do have to say that this hotel is a great price for an ocean front hotel, and that I do not have experience booking at a different ocean front hotel in Virginia, so I am not sure if the added price is worth it going somewhere else.

But to rate Econo Lodge I am going to list the positives and negatives.

+1: Pricing and affordability of an ocean front hotel.
+1: Friendly staff from what I have experienced.

-1: The first night there, I had gotten out of bed to use the bathroom and there was a spider ON my bed. That is a bit gross, I don't mind them in the corner or something. So I can squashed it between a couple of the disposable cups in the room and brought it to the front counter staff in the morning. He apologized and said he would talk to his manager. I never heard from the manager regarding this during my stay.
-1: Layout is pretty bad. The lights over the bed and right in the middle so if you want to sit up on the bed and watch some tv before going to sleep, be careful not to hit your head. Also regarding the layout, the bathroom has a small counter behind the toilet. Not a problem for a female, but a guy trying to goto the bathroom has to hold the seat up or sit down. It really should not be designed this way.

Based on my experience I really can't rate this place above average, would I stay again? Possibly, but maybe I would book some time in another hotel to get a different experience as well to see if it is worth the price.

Room Tip: This one isn't the hotels fault, but later in the week there was an art show going on the boardw...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keppson
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel, we appreciate the feedback both positive and negative. I want to personally apologize to you for not following up with you regarding the spider you found. I did discuss the matter with the desk attendant and incorrectly assumed the matter had been resolved. I was wrong and I am terribly sorry I gave you the impression that I was indifferent to your situation. We do have a contract service with a pest control company so our rooms are as bug free as we can possibly make them, but obviously it is unpleasant to find a spider, or anything in your room. If I can answer any other concerns you might have please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel. We appreciate your business very much and hope we see you on your next visit to the beach.
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My family and I booked a last minute trip Easter weekend but neither of us wanted to stay in a super expensive hotel. To our surprise, they had a double queen ground floor room available. We had looked at reviews before booking the room so we took our chance on reviews. To our surprise, it was a very nice room, more than expected for an econo-lodge. It had a beautiful view of the ocean, friendly staff and most everything we needed was in walking distance. My only complaint would be parking but other than that, I would recommend and here stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank momofone97
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your business very much. Since you mentioned parking, while our parking lot might be tight, we always have a place on-site for all our guests and not at a satellite lot 1 or 2 blocks away. And we are always ready to step out and assist our guests with parking. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and we certainly hope we get the chance to see you again on your next visit to the beach!
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 June 2014

stayed the first week of June, had high expectations based on the reviews and was not disappointed. I called the hotel two days prior to arrival to change dates and Art was very helpful.
When I arrived he treated me like someone I would have known a very long time instead of just another customer. Room smelled very clean and my wife and I were very happy with housekeeping. Pool was warm and very clean also. Can't complain about location for sure. No doubt we will stay here again on our next visit.

Room Tip: would not want a room on ground floor, just seems a little too "open" to people on the boa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin D
GeneralManagerVB, General Manager at Econo Lodge on the Ocean, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
We appreciate the great review. It so nice to here you had a good time and enjoyed the hotel. We are excited to know you will be coming back again and we look forward to your next visit. Thank you again!
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed 6 June 2014

When I booked this hotel I kept my expectations low but when I arrived I was very pleased to find a clean room in a great ocean-front location. The staff were friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a luxury hotel you will be very disappointed but if you want a clean, basic room within walking distance of places to eat, shop and stroll then this is the place for you. My teenage daughters were thrilled with the beach right outside our door, clean (but small) pool, free bikes (one hour limit), close tacky beach shops and Sweet Frogs a few doors down.
The beds were comfortable and there was a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and safe in the room. I never heard anyone in the rooms next to us but then again we were staying in the first week of June so the hotel wasn't full. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Great Cuban restaurant across the street, Cactus Jack.
1 Thank Katiewritesnow
Thank you very much for your review, we are glad to hear you had such a nice visit. We also thank you for your business, and hope we get the opportunity to see you again soon!