“Average rooms with above average amenities - good value”

Beach Quarters Resort
Ranked #71 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Naperville, IL
“Average rooms with above average amenities - good value”
Reviewed 25 November 2007

This is a hotel/ timeshare property and I had purchased a week sight unseen through a bankruptcy proceeding. I happened to be visiting Colonial Williamsburg (1.5 hours away - staying at Marriott's Manor Club) during Thanksgiving week, so we stopped by to check the property out. It so happens that the week of my ownership at the Clarion is also Thanksgiving week, so it was a perfect time to see what I really bought.

Conclusion - I am very pleased with my purchase. While the Clarion is an average timeshare, not near the level of our Marriott timeshare, it is a good value relative to the cost. The room we were allowed to view (8th floor) was average at best. However, the views and the amenities were well above average. All rooms are oceanfront suites with kitchenettes and there are three different room types. The indoor pool was very attractive and of good size, with a hot tub. The biggest surprise was the health club, which had an enormous array of weight equipment, a steam room, sauna, and whilrpool tub. The lady we met stated they did allow locals to purchase memberships at the club, which enabled them to have one of the most superior health clubs I have ever seen in a hotel resort.

The beach is amazing - very wide and well groomed. The boardwalk is also well maintained. From Thanksgiving week through Chrismtas, they have a holiday light display that is quite enjoyable. After dusk, you do have to clear the boardwalk as they allow cars to pay a small fee and drive the 3 miles to view the holiday displays along the beach and boardwalk. The weather was very pleasant (high 60s), although it did vary through the week and got cool in the evening. On some days, there were people actually in the water surfing (in November!). They had wet suits on which must help in the cooler water.

We had dinner at Mahi Mahs, which is in the Ramada right next to the Clarion. We sat outside with a view of the beach and the lights. Excellent seafood and nice happy hour specials. Entrees were expensive, but worth it. Look for coupons in the local guides to defray some of that cost.

So, all in all, I learned that November is a good time to visit Virginia Beach, especially once the light displays are up. Also, this will be a great place if your expectations are in line and you have the mindset that the room is mostly a place to sleep and focus the rest of your time enjoying the beach and ammenities.

• Liked — Beachfront
  • Disliked — Access hotel rooms from outside
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Travel-LifeIsShort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
bucks county, Pa
Reviewed 12 November 2007

Ohh where to start, I had high expectations of this hotel, the web site had beautiful pictures, and they made it sound like it was a 5 star "RESORT" and offered spa services and everything.
Pros:
Beautiful location overlooking the ocean.
Our room (1107) you could open the window curtain and the door and see the ocean from the bed, which was cool.

Cons:
Bed looked soft and squishy, but was very uncomfortable, meager bedding, with NO fitted sheet for the bottom of the bed, which kept coming off in the middle of the night, when i woke up in the am I was laying on the mattress it was so disgusting a feeling, and I had a rash on my arm .. more than likely from bed bugs. There was no mattress protector or pad , it was just a flat sheet over top that was it.
The "Kitchenette" was super small, but had everything you needed.. but had ants.. (ants in november.. ick)
The bathroom was seperated by the walkway into the room which was a totally odd set up. The bathtub was a huge whirlpool tub, but was also the shower. and there was a huge ledge to climb over to actually get into it. So if your handicapped, or disabled in anyway, no shower for you.
The toilet was on the other side of the wall literally looks like it was in a closet. it was soo small again if you have any disability at all you woudl probably not be getting into this Toilet area. talk about closterphobic.
I had no idea this was even a timeshare property, until we we were "accousted" by the what was supposed to be "concierge" trying to get us to go to a timehshare meeting.
I tried to move to a different hotel the next night, but was told they woudl not refund my money. So we just stayed.
Parking Garage was a nightmare, there are chunks taken out of the walls where cars have ran into it. If you have a minivan or suv, dont bother even trying.
Also from the pictures, I assumed this was an inside hotel, meaning to get to the rooms there were interior coridors, but this was not the case. The walkway to the rooms was not enclosed which makes it easier for bugs and cold air to get into the rooms.
Very disapoointed , I expected more.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — uncomfortable accomodations
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jenstravels

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

texas
Reviewed 10 November 2007

I didn't use a lot of the on-site facilities, because being able to step out on the beach Boardwalk pretty eliminated anything they could offer!

I LOVED the rooms! Being able to open up the balcony door and get the sound and smell of the ocean was priceless, especially when you can catch a good week-end in November! No having windows in the bedroom allowed me to sleep better...a nice bonus. It was a little strange opening the door and entering through the bedroom.

Staff was wonderful and accomodating. I had booked a small efficientcy, and they gladly upgraded us to a 1-bedroom suite at no charge...we only needed to ask. (Probably be much harder to get during the peak season.) They did try to charge me $3.00 for an in-room safe when I checked out, but when I told them I was not informed about it on check-in, they deleted the charge. Just be sure you ask when you check in, and aren't surprised later.

Overall, I loved Virginia Beach and am definitely planning a trip back. When I go, this will be at the top of my list of places to stay.

Stayed November 2007
NJ
Reviewed 5 November 2007

We traded here thru Interval World .
Being Time Share oriented we were initialy disappointed by its not being up to our usual TS expectations,however taking into consideration they were a conversion from a hotel to a TS we could understand their position.
The location and view could not have been better.
Ocean view and 3 blocks from Ruddee Inlet tough to beat.
Rooms were run down but doable,(the view from the balcony overcame a lot)
W&B Werner

• Liked — view & location
  • Disliked — shabby accomodations
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wweenie
Reviewed 11 September 2007

This Hotel is at the quiet end of the beach near Rudee's Inlet. It was okay. We had a few maintenence issues and I must say that they responded very quickly each time. Our room was opposite the laundry and near the stairs, so there was constant door banging all night long. The beds were comfortable and the unit was clean and well equipped. As in previous reviews, the parking is awful. The underground parking is too tight and unless you want your car damaged,I would advise parking in their outside lot across the Street.
I rented it directly from a Timeshare owner. I visit Virginia Beach with my daughter every summer and try to stay in different places. This one was adequate but I think I'll look for something different next year.

• Liked — Oceanfront
  • Disliked — Doors banging all night long every single night.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Virginia
Reviewed 15 June 2007

Our family booked the Clarion because it was the only place available through our timeshare exchange program for an oceanfront beach location on the east coast. After reading some of the previous reviews, I was becoming leary and worried about our experience. However, I have to say it was better than I expected. Here's what we liked and didn't...

Liked:
Our room on 8th floor had beautiful view
Room was quiet and clean
Bedding comfortable - lots of pillows
Great staff - always helped us immediately with any concerns, housekeeping, etc...
Outdoor pool was heated and nice
Elevators must have been updated because we never had any problems or long wait - they have 3 and all are in excellent working order
Easy access to beach from hotel
Location of hotel on beach - great spot

Didn't like:
All rooms allow smoking so some of the smell may seep through walls from neighbors next door (however, they offer an ionizer which takes care of air purification).
The furniture and room was very dated and not in the best condition (but functioned ok)
The indoor pool was very small (but the area surrounding was very nice)
Parking garage too small and only one way in and out (but the management offers use of the hotel parking lot across street which is outside and plenty roomy).

As you can see there are more pros than cons. The resort has been taken over by the Gold Key resort management and they are making great strides to make it nicer/better and for every con of the place, they offer a solution. That's great service.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — all rooms allow smoking
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank cdcorbett
New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 April 2007

The Clarion has a great location! The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were soundproof and had a tremendous view of the ocean and boardwalk. However they don't tell you, in the amenities, that there is a fee for wireless hookup, and the fitness center. I understand the fee for the services such as massage and tanning, but not the equipment.

The blankets are very thin, and the one for the pull-out very stained and worn looking. We slept on the pull-out because the bedroom has no window due to the set-up. It was just clostrophobic (sp.) for me.
The pools are VERY small. If there is one family with 3 children in them forget using it. The rooftop area is cute though.
The Clarion is close to everything, just pray for good weather so you aren't confined there.

Stayed April 2007