“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #74 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Manassas, Virginia
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

My family owns a timeshare at Beach Quarters. The quality has gone down. Our visit last week was very disappointing. The room was upgraded last year. The furniture was fine and beds are good, but the quality of cleaning is not good. We opened the door and this horrible smell was in the room. i am not sure what it was, maybe a very very sour mop or something. I had to buy air freshner and leave the balcony door open to try and get the smell out of the room. Second the shower was so gross. the shower tiles were moldy and the shower curtian, it needed thrown away. I was embarressed to bring my friend and her daughter into this room. The bedspread had blood stains on it. i was so glad i brought my own sheets. As for the carpeting. it needs replaced and or cleaned. our socks were black.

As an owner and this is part of the Marriott Interval club, this is clearly not a marriott property and should not be pertrayed as one.

On another note. My family owns two time shares in VA Beach with the same compnay. If i tell you that and I am not interested in buying or looking at any other properties. Pleas STOP asking and bothering me with it. I said no and no means no. That is very annoying!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sandiebe_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is a condo converted from a hotel, so the layout is a little odd if you don't know that going in. We stayed in a one bedroom suite (2 full beds). We could hear hallway noise, but the only late night noise was on check-in day. The beach is pretty dirty, but the ocean-loving members of our group loved it anyway. You are near a naval base and there are very loud jets that pass by quite often.

Now for the good stuff. Staff is very friendly and helpful. The Boardwalk is really clean and a great place for people watching. The rooftop pool is nice, but the indoor pool is sandy (looks like it might be the place guests wash off when they come in from the beach.

We did attend the timeshare presentation - it was about 2 hours, but we knew going in they wouldn't keep it to 90 minutes. If we had the extra money, we probably would have bought something.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked the Beach Quarters last minute had a wonderful stay.. This was 1st visit to VA beach, so we booked a hotel in Norfolk about 20 mins driving from the beach because of the price...It was nice, but after driving and seeing how beautiful the hotels on the beach looked we decided to book here...As soon as I arrived Ashley welcomed us, and I explained I was coming from another hotel in which we did not like so I hope we made the right decision... Right away she replied yes and explained to me how long they have renovated and the amenities.. I also explained that I had a baby and small kids so we wanted some where fun... 15 mins after we checked in while I was parking my van, in which i much so got damage because the ramps are so narrow and larger vehicles do not obey the do not park signs, a smoke alarm went off... I was still in the garage, when my phone rang and Ashley was on the line inquiring if my family was ok because she remember me saying I had a baby.. What a great bonus touch.... After that all went well..the 7th floor pool water was warm but a little dirty.. We used Turtle Cay pool next door which was great for smaller kids.... Room was a little small, but we loved the stove top and all the pot and utensils.....Overall I will give then a 4 because I did not like the garage, hall ways and the dirty pool water.. but Ashley and a nice African American Concierge lady when we checked out were the best....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I felt like I needed to shower every time I left the building. The carpet in our unit was DISGUSTING. Our feet were BLACK and filthy when we walked on the carpet and it clearly had been a long, long time since it has been steam cleaned. The kitchen area is extremely small so I won't even call it a kitchen but it was nice that they had a full size fridge and microwave and a dishwasher that we never used. The hallways are smelly and hot since they're exterior hallways. Don't even get me started on the parking deck. Horrible. We were driving a regular sized pick-up and attempted to park in there one night. I had to get out and direct my husband so we didn't slam into the concrete columns around each corner. We had to park across the street behind another hotel just to keep our vehicle safe for the remainder of the trip. Unless you're driving a compact car, you won't fit in this parking deck. They also don't have nearly enough luggage carts because we were checking out on a Friday night and every other person checking out the next morning all hoarded the carts into their rooms so we had to load up a week's worth of luggage, kitchen supplies, baby items, food, etc. for three people by making 10 trips up and down. I can't believe that Gold Key has not knocked this dump down. We toured their newest building and you would never believe they were owned by the same company. I understand this was their "first" hotel and they are sentimental about it, so we're told but come on...this place needs a bulldozer. They claim to have done a 3 million dollar renovation which consisted of flatscreens, a new couch and lamps but then went from king size beds to full in our unit. We also left our room key in the room one night and asked the nice lady at the front desk for another. She never even asked for our ID. I could have entered anyone's room if I asked for a key to another unit. Nice. We will never return here again. This is NO "resort". Gross.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Plum, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I KNOW THIS IS THE INTERNET VERSION OF SHOUTING, BUT I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE NOISE LEVEL AT NIGHT!!! DOORS SLAMMING, LUGGAGE CARTS SMASHING INTO THE WALLS, LOUD CONVERSATIONS IN THE HALLWAYS, A WATER HEATER THAT MAKES A LOUD HUMMING NOISE AT 11:30 EVERY NIGHT. THE MAINTENANCE STAFF STARTS ROLLING METAL WHEELED LAUNDRY CARTS ACROSS THE TILE FLOORS AT 6 A.M.RIGHT OUTSIDE YOUR ROOM ALL DAY UNTIL MIDNIGHT. Tell the front desk about it and ask to get moved to a different room or a different property that Gold Key owns; sorry too bad. If you have a problem, talk to the unit owner, we can't do anything about it. Well, I can do something about it. I can go on Trip Advisor and every other travel website and social media site and tell everyone what horrible service you get at the Beach Quarters. It's no surprise that this DUMP has more terrible and poor reviews than excellent ones. Be warned people, Spend your money elsewhere where it is appreciated.

Room Tip: Walk out if they give you a 1st floor room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Glennithy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Beach Quarters. The place was small but very clean and efficient. I stayed on the first floor, which I usually do not like because of all the people traffic back and forth but, I totally enjoyed the experience this time. We had a ocean front studio with direct access to the beach. There was a music festival going on along with the Memorial Day Holiday. I enjoyed watching everyone walking, biking, skating, tanning and enjoying the ocean activities. I even rented a bike and rode 40 blocks to the end of the bike trail with my sister. The small kitchenette was very nice and efficient. I had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: The ocean front first floor rooms are easy access to the beach, no elevators to wait on, and you are...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BillionareFun
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We recently spent a week here in 2 adjacent condos on the 12th floor. Views were fantastic! The boardwalk and beach are right out the back door, and it is close to all on Atlantic Ave. So nice having a kitchenette and separate living and sleeping areas. Minor complaint- elevators a tad slow. But overall a great place to stay while at Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: As the elevators are at times slow, a lower level might be better.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family