“Great Location!”

Ranked #73 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Macon, Georgia
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

I read some bad reviews of this property before going but was glad I ignored them. My sister and I stayed in a one bedroom for a week at the end of October. Yes, the parking garage was a bit of a challenge but if you drove carefully, as everyone should, it was fine. I saw some huge vehicles inside so it was do-able.

The apartment was newly decorated in funky colors and had a new fridge and king sized bed with new mattress. The balcony ran the entire length of the place and the view was to die for. We spent every morning watching the dolphins swim by and saw a couple of beautiful sunrises. The property is right on the boardwalk and from our room all you could see was beach and beautiful blue water.

There are many good restaurants very close by (Mahi Mau's is right next door) and there is a convenience store right across Atlantic Ave. Driving to anywhere especially in October when the crowds are gone is dead easy.

The entire staff was nice and everyone was so helpful, we couldn't have asked for a better place to spend our holiday. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Falmouth, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

This was one of the most undesirable places that we have
gone to. The suite?? was decorated poorly, dark and
uninviting. No windows, just a door to the balcony, so no
fresh air. Great view, though. The kitchen was so tiny that
that there was no place for anything. The parking garage
was constructed so that you had to drive slowly up each
level, and it was made for compact cars. The bumpers had
colors from the different cars that did not make the proper
swing. It would take me three times to get around each
corner, and I was on the fifth level. They show that they have
a great gym with steamroom and sauna. However, they
want you to pay $2.00 a day to use it. The staff was overly
nice, but we were told that they try to make up for the other
problems. No way would I ever go there again.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
jep2003
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2008

We just returned from a stay at this hotel for our family vacation. After reading the reviews I was up for a night before we left worrying I had made a terrible mistake...well, I hadn't!!!!
I found that for the money we got a good deal!! We were right on the beach with a great view of the ocean. We rented one of the larger suites and we had plenty of room for ourselves and three kids. It was great to have the kitchen so we could save money by eating lunch and breakfast in our room.
I found the staff helpful.
The parking garage is tight but not impossible to make your way through.
I'm glad I didn't change my mind.
If you're not crazy picky I think this is a good place to consider.

• Liked — The ocean view!!!!
  • Disliked — The stairway to the parking garage was pretty dirty.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2008

We just returned from a week in VA Beach (6/28/08-7/5/08), staying at the Clarion Beach Quarters Resort. Regardless of the hype, this hotel is not a 5 star resort, despite what the website says. I was wary when I read some of the reviews here, and I should have trusted my instincts. It was not horrible, but I have certainly stayed at much nicer, cleaner, and quieter establishments. Although our room was a decent size suite (two small double beds in the bedroom, and a living room/kitchenette combo with a balcony), it was hardly what I would call newly renovated or 5 star. The bedding was clean (thank goodness), but the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling off the wall, the floors and tub were not exactly clean, and there was mildew growing in the grout on the tile floor. The 'kitchenette' was tiny, but did have a good size fridge, although there was not enough room or chairs for our family of 4 to sit down at the tiny table for breakfast. All the balconies overlook the beach and this was by far the best thing about the place - the view was beautiful and from our room on the 8th floor we could see the dolphins swimming and jumping in the waves. However, do not leave the door open for any length of time as the bugs were a bit much and huge moths or little gnats would fly into the room when the door was open even for a minute. I did see previous reviews regarding bugs in the rooms, and I did have to kill a few little tiny ants in the bathroom a couple of times - ick. But I did not see any larger bugs (ie roaches). The access to the beach was great, just out the back door of the hotel and down the steps of the boardwalk, BUT, no one mentioned that the span of beach directly in front of this hotel is a surfing zone, so that meant that the lifeguards were constantly chasing people out of the water on that block because they didn't want them to get creamed by the surfers (who have the right to be there). So you have to pick a spot to the left of the north end lifeguard or to the right side of the south end lifeguard. It made for extra walking and lugging of our gear, but the beach was beautiful and spacious and during the weekdays of our stay it was not very crowded. Friday brought the crowds and the beach was noticably more congested on Friday and Saturday, so if you want a good spot where you can see your kids in the water, plan to get down there early (by 10am). And if you want to rent a beach umbrella and lounge chairs on the beach, bring cash, that's all they accept (and it was $36 per day). Also, I would not recommend the Clarion pool. Though the setting is nice up on the roof off the 3rd floor, the pool itself is very small and very dirty. Disgusting is actually a better word. Both of my daughters thought it was gross, and they were right. The water was very cloudy, not clear, and there was all kinds of gunk floating in the corner - white foamy stuff and big globs of hair. It was sickening. One of the biggest complaints I had was with the noise. The beds in the bedroom share the same wall with the outside hallways and we found the noise at night to be awful. Between 11pm - 2am, we were regularly awakened since you could clearly hear people and their kids running up and down the hallway, yelling and screaming and slamming doors - all sounding like they were right there in the bedroom with us. Those outside walls must be paper thin. If your children are light sleepers, they will have trouble there. One other thing that I did not like was the push by the concierge staff to attend one of their 'customer meetings' - she claimed that it would be to meet with their staff to talk about the property and survey us for suggested improvements. But, I found out that really it would be a sales pitch to try to get you to buy one of their timeshares. Every single time I asked the concierge a question they would check to see that I had a scheduled appt. (which I kept rescheduling) and then they would call every day to remind me to attend. However, I met a woman on the beach who owned one of their timeshares, and she warned me that this little 'meeting' would not be 30-45 minutes, as the concierge claimed, but would last more like 2 hours and be a very high pressure sales pitch. I wanted no part of that and was happy I met her and was warned. All in all I was very dissatisfied with the Clarion and I would not go back again. I liked VA Beach and next time would probably try one of the properties up on the north end, like the Hilton.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank bbinngirl
Nazareth, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

Was worried after negative reviews here, but my experience was pretty good, especially for the price. Stayed here Jun 23-26 '08. Had the Captains Suite (their largest room) for 7, the only hotel that really cared about helping me find an affordable solution for me, my wife and 5 kids. The room was a little dated, but spacious clean and comfortable. Though we didn't use it, the kitchenette was stocked with everything needed. The staff was very helpful: threw in a rollaway for no charge, always made sure we had extra towels, and helped me find the best deals on local breakfast spots. The Sandbar and rooftop pool are great, and the manager and staff up there are first rate and treated us like family.

As for the parking - it was a little tight, but not the nightmare described here. We had a minivan and parked without difficulty. Only problem was doors from the hotel to the deck swelled in the heat and were very difficult to open. And they should be more conspicuous about the fact that the rooms are not interior corridor entrance.

Overall, very good value. Not a 4 star to be sure, but relative to other 3 star hotels we have stayed at in VA Beach. Much better than Best Western Oceanfront (a dump, IMHO) that is rated much higher on TA. We will stay here again.

• Liked — Large comfortable room
  • Disliked — Early checkout
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Fredericksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

June 29-July 5th- Timeshare Exchange through Interval International – 2 Adults, no kids – Did you ever wonder if going on vacation was worth it? Took us 5 hours to get to Va. Beach (normally 2 ½ hour trip); traffic was terrible.- Room – Checked in at aprox 3:30 pm; room was ready. Originally assigned to rm 202; King Neptune Suite; all of the “_02 rooms are this configuration (202, 302, 402, etc.) and only this one row all the way to the 12th floor; these rooms have a double balcony (which is very nice and sunny); full kitchen area, queen size bed; the room is laid out horizontally, rather than vertically as most rooms are. The rooms had been refurbished with new carpet (although not put in very well), and updated furniture. There were several problems. Bugs….we had the balcony door open for about 15 minutes…the room filled with flies and what appeared to be some sort of knat or sand fleas. I would have preferred to be on a higher floor, as I thought this might be a problem closer to ground floor, and indeed it was. There was debris on the bathroom wall (suffice it to say, of very unpleasant origin) and my husband killed one of the sand flea bugs, only to find it filled with blood. I am not exaggerating here. We tried to make the best of it for one day, but when my husband returned from the beach only to find the counter covered in sand fleas, he had had enough. We went to the front desk and requested a room change. They finally accommodated us with a new room on about 4:30 on that second day. Rm 1211….it was on the top floor; it had two double beds and was laid out vertically, with the entrance into the bedroom. The bathroom was bigger; the kitchen smaller. The refrigerator was dented and did not have an interior door on the freezer compartment. As soon as we went out to check out the balcony, in came the flies and sand fleas. We did not leave the door open at all this time, except long enough to open and shut it. I was amazed there were still that many bugs that high up. It might have been the humidity; it might have been the smoke in the air from the Carolina fires, or it just might have been the time of year for them. Back in the day, you could leave your balcony doors open all the time and not have one bug in the room. The room did not have a stove; the microwave was in poor condition, but it did barely work. They charge you $1 a day for the safe in the room, whether you use it or not. If you turn in your Interval review before Wednesday, they will comp you a free movie – we didn’t ever watch our free movie, so instead they didn’t charge us for the safe rental. The walls are paper thin, and we had to put up with rowdy neighbors until 2am for at least two nights. The rooftop pool is small, but they are trying hard to increase their activities offerings (karoke, crafts, luau, dive-in movies, etc.). The declining manners and consideration of the clientele is part of the resort’s problem; the resort tries hard to keep up with repairs and fixing things that inconsiderate visitors have broken or ruined. It’s a shame people have to behave that badly. As far as the beach was concerned , the water was cold but very clear. Beach was crowded on weekends, but not so bad during the week. On July 4th, the worst of the worst came out. It was like ants on a sugar cube at the beach. All types and groups of people were vying for their little piece of sand right at the ocean’s edge. They bogarted their way in front of people who had gone through the effort of getting their early in order to get a nice spot with a good view of the ocean’s edge. They came in groups of 20-25, with naked children of an age too old to be in a state of undress, and plopped down their umbrellas, towels, bedsheets (yes, I said bedsheets – and fitted ones at that), coolers and chairs, right in front of you, on a small parcel of beachfront sand big enough for maybe three beach towels. It was disheartening.- We ate at Planet Pizza – loved it (fresh big salads, good hot pizza, outdoor seating, and clean); Ammos Greek Restaurant – luke warm (good greek salad; great hummus appitizer, my Pastitsio dinner was cold and not so fresh, inside dining area smelled musty); Olive Garden – Good soup and salad lunch special; Ricks Café (Va. Beach Blvd – terrible – stays packed because of huge smoking section); Mahi Mahs – (lunch BOGO special – average); Black Angus ( BOGO special ½ lb sirloin dinner – very good). My recommendation is to save yourself some disappointment and stick to the chain restaurants that are out by Lynhaven Mall.- Beach Stores – Most stank – smelled musty and dank; merchandise is definitely sub-par; you can’t even get a nice sweatshirt with your own decal on it anymore (which used to be quite fun at the beach). Atlantic Ave. atmosphere is suffering and has gone downhill from a year ago. They’ve added musicians on street from 17th to about 24th street, which is a nice touch, but they’ve also gone back to seedy bars with sexually orientated entertainment, head shops, and tattoo joints. I saw a big rat run across Atlantic Ave. one evening. In one year, the place is starting to decline rapidly. We went to First Landing State Park ; there was a good exhibit of First Landing historical event; nice beach on the bay; camp grounds. To see the lighthouses and historical monuments you have to go through Fort Story Military Base; you will be subject to a security search to enter; do it, it’s worth it. Lynhaven Mall is just a basic mall; nothing special; they do have plenty of chain restaurants around there though, and a DSW shoe store! As far as the Fourth of July Festivities went, it was pretty poor for a beach resort area in the founding state of Virginia; there should have been a much greater display of flags, military band concerts, and perhaps a military or veterans parade. They could have even had a boardwalk parade with bikes, kids, dogs, and the like, to give it a hometown feel. To sum it up, the beach is only as nice as the people who come to it. Is it better than Florida or Carolina beaches – no. Is it better than Maryland or NJ beaches – yes. Is there room for improvement - definitely.

Stayed June 2008
Philadelphia, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel recently, May 2008, I must say, I was very disappointed. I feel even sader for the poor people that selected this dump as their primary timeshare.

They were attempting to renovate the rooms with new carpets, drapes and sofas while we were there. The room was not very sanitary and thank God for bleach.

They put us in the wrong room upon I arrival and tried to tell us that they sold out of the room that we booked.

Also, the room was filled with flies and bedbugs. I am not sure if the bedbugs came from the old sofas that were in the room or the bedding but as you can imagine, it was not a good stay.

The hotel finally moved us the next morning, but the room they moved us to was a little better, but not much. Also, not to forget the nagging sales person for the timeshare. After I told her how bad their hotels are, she agreed and stated they are planning to build a new one up the street.

I would not recommend staying at this particular property, especially for any long stays. The Marriott hotels, you can't go to wrong with them, try them instead if you have to stay on the beach.

I've attached some video and photos to show you what I am talking about.

• Liked — The view, it is right on the ocean.
  • Disliked — The bugs, renovation, and noise. Also security is a very big concern with this location. No security present.
  • Stayed May 2008