“Go Wyndham!”

Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #59 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I recently stayed at The Wyndham in Va. Beach with some friends. We had an excellent time and were very please with all aspects of the hotel. We were fortunate enough to have a great suite with a view of the ocean. We enjoyed breakfast each day in the restaurant, with food and service very good and we also had dinner and/or cocktails which we also enjoyed very much. We had a few favorite staff that took really good care of us and remembered us as we joined them for meals. I also appreciated the GM, Ms. Geist who was able to help me with our plans to stay. I would most definitely return to The Wyndham and I will recommend it to family, friends and associates. Thank you for such a great time! ppd

Room Tip: Suites that have an oceanview are very nice - all was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Chrsitine G, General Manager at Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you for your great feedback regarding your recent stay at the Wyndham Virginia Beach! It was our pleasure to host your getaway weekend and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We had an expectation that WAS NOT met.

I made a reservation a month in advance. We needed two rooms but I was told they only had a suite. We were only there for a quick trip to the area and wanted to be on the water. I was assured it was on the ocean - in fact, each room would have a balcony - three in total, on either the 5th or 6th floors - big build up. We agreed to take it since I had stayed at Wyndam properties before and thought it would be worth the money.

Well, the room was NOT on the ocean but in two buildings off the ocean. We had to walk through two buildings to go to the beach. The room was old, bad mattresses, very worn and dated with a scant view of the ocean but a great view of the top of the parking deck.

I asked the front desk why I was told by the salesperson in the hotel that this was a suite on the water and he said he didn't know since they do not have any on the ocean. I asked if they had two rooms we could move to the ocean front to make this right and he said no but would call if there was a cancellation. Well, 30 seconds later, he called me while I was walking back to the room and I could have two rooms for an additional $250 / room. I told him he was crazy.

If you look at the pictures very carefully you can see that building - after the conference center - no where near the ocean.

My mother and I were on the beach and she looked at that big hotel and said, "it sure would have been nice to be where I thougth we were going to be". You see, she had been looking at that pretty picture for a month.

Do not believe what they are selling. It is not worth it. They would not admit any deception or fault in what they promised and did not deliver and offered no way to make it up. That's it, no more Wyndam properties for me.

1  Thank C C
Chrsitine G, General Manager at Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience, I feel the frustration in your words and am sorry that we were not able to accomodate you and your family. I am sorry you were given the wrong information, our suites are located in the back building but still have wonderful views of the ocean. We are not rrying to deceive anyone, the oceanfront tower consists of single rooms sold at a premium in the summer. Our suites are extreemly well priced for the additional room and beautiful view. I am sorry this did not work out for your stay, we continue to be proud of our beautiful views and property!

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Expected Wyndam Hotels to be a first rate experience but instead after being told we would have a "water view", it was a view of the pool instead of the ocean view we expected. Common areas were very dirty, poorly maintained. Floors and carpets were grimey. Food at the restaurant was quite good. They are also overpriced but if you still want to stay with them, don't bother booking directly through Wyndam Corp, just get the cheapest internet price and the front desk will upgrade you to an oceanfront room for an extra $40.00 if you request it when you show up. We will never stay at a Wyndam again.

Room Tip: choose another hotel altogether
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Chrsitine G, General Manager at Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback regaqrding your recent stay at the Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront. I apologioze that we were not able to meet your expectations while you were here, I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future, Please contact me directly if I can be of any further assisitance.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

I booked a suite through booking.com. This was very deceiving, I dont see how anyone could give this place a good rating. I also posted a review on booking.com with photos of our bathroom which was ghetto. I only stayed the one night in this place and I had originally planned 4. I only stayed one night because was told we could change our room the next day for a better view (oceanfront) but it would not be a suite. I did not care at that point, I just did not want to be in a suite with the view being the parking garage rooftop with rust stains running down the walls, we were more than a block away from ocean and our view looking towards the right was first more parking lots and a big telephone poll and then some ocean. The next morning I called the front desk and I told them before I decided to stay at that resort I wanted to see the room they were putting us in because if that bathroom was as disgusting as it was in our current room, I was not going to stay. At that point, I was told that there were no other rooms available so I checked out and was even charged over 300.00 for staying one night. I just wanted to get out of there so at that point the money did not matter. Also, the booking led us to believe we had 2 bathrooms, we did not, and it was a good thing because the one we did have was disgusting.

Room Tip: If you want a nice clean peaceful stay at VA Beach and want to get what you pay good money for, do n...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your expereince at the Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, our suites are in high demand and we receive great feedback from our guests in these rooms. Our Booking.com listing specifically shows that our suites have an "oceanview" as opposed to being "oceanfront" so I am not sure why there was a misunderstanding.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 23 August 2012

I actually booked this hotel after calling the tourist board for their recommendations on hotels in North Beach and I liked the idea that the Wyndham stands alone from the other hotels on the boardwalk, so I just called them up and asked about their rates. When they offered me a rate under $200 per night for a room with 2 queens and an ocean view I considered that I wouldn't find anything any cheaper that matched these criteria elsewhere and I had the added advantage of being on a less crowded part of the beach. After I booked I ended up checking Tripadvisor and saw some negative comments, but I found them not to be a problem for me. The location was exactly what I was looking for, the beach was very clean and the other guests were all families like us with well-behaved children playing on the beach. The room was well furnished and I wasn't particularly bothered by the odd stain on the carpet or stucco patch on the wall. The staff were all extra friendly and went out of their way to great you as you walked past. Maybe they had read some of the recent comments, but whether that's why they were friendly or not doesn't matter to me, because I found it to be a friendly hotel to stay in. I ate in the restaurant on the patio for lunch and enjoyed that as well as one breakfast where I ordered a la carte. The breakfast buffet looked like a typical low-end buffet, but that's not untypical of hotel buffets where the food sits out a long time. The items from the a la carte menu were about the same price and the portion size was very generous, so I didn't see the need to have the buffet when I could get freshly made food for the same price. The hotel was also quiet and the rooms well sound-proofed. A lot can depend on how noisy the guests are who stay at your hotel, so I think the fact that it was families with younger kids meant that people were courteous and aware of being respectful to other guests as far as noise goes. I had no problem parking at any time and we ate mainly at restaurants off the boardwalk, so we had no problems parking where we ate. If you were to eat at restaurants on the boardwalk, that could be trickier. We did take the shuttle one day and it worked out just fine. It did take a while to get fresh towels each day, but I think that's normal for these big hotels on the beach, and we always had them before the evening when we came in from the beach. I think you get what you pay for, so if you wanted really first class furnishings and housekeeping, you would need to look to spend a lot more than we did. In that case we would probably go back to the Boardwalk Plaza in Rehoboth, Delaware, but we were looking at a short end of summer trip on a lower budget. All in all, it's a good priced standard hotel with a nice location off the boardwalk and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are worth the extra few dollars.
1  Thank steve33_12
Chrsitine G, General Manager at Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience at the Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront. We appriciate your feedback and value your business! We hope to see you again in the near future, if I can be of assistance in making those arrangements, please feel free to contact me directly at cgeist@wyndham.com

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We booked the hotel not expecting a lot. When we entered the lobby, we were surprised on how small it was. After touring around the hotel we realized that there was no real place to just sit down and socialize with the exception of the Sea Grill Bar. So if it rains, the only place to go is to the bar, which by the way, NO BUY BACKS! It could be quite expensive. The pools and jacuzzi were so crowded with children it was nearly impossible to take a cozy dip. We actually liked the beach and the water. However, we were noticing that the same garbage that we saw when we first toured the hotel, was still there when we left. (On the beach deck) We ate at the Sea Grill restaurant (part of the hotel) and we could not help being distracted by flies. They were all over the chairs, lamps windows and tables. It was quite disturbing. Housekeeping was nice and friendly and the shuttle drivers were courteous.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Chrsitine G, General Manager at Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Good Morning:
Thank you so much for yor feedback regarding your stay, we appriciate your business and thank you for staying with us. I have taken all your comments and discussed them with the management team, it was kind of you to share this with us.
If you find yourself inthe area again, please feel free to contact me so I can personally make your accomodation arrangements for you!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

B4 coming to this hotel I read lots of reviews. It was very helpful as I knew what to expect when I got there. My group consisted of 2 adlts 4 kids, stayed in a suite for 4 days.

Location - it's not in the middle of all the VA beach action, its only a 3 minute ride away. Sitting on the balcony was peaceful. I was good w/this.

Staff - I read in other reviews that the staff was very firendly. I will have to agree 110%! From the front desk to the managers walking the grounds, to the maid and maintenance service. Very friendly and welcoming.

Resturant - We only ate breakfast at this hotel and did the buffet. I was pretty good and not too costly for 6 people. Also very nice staff here as well.

Indoor /Out door Pool - I must have gone on a day they did not get to clean the indoor pool it was extrememly slippery on the bottom and seemed moldy. Outdoor Pool was much cleaner.

Suite - Very Spacious, it was clean although I saw a little mold on wall (near the air condition) they only had towels sets in the bathroom, the refrigerator did not work, the light when we walked nito the suite was blinking non stop about to go out, the bath tub was real slippery (good thing the handi cap access grips were there).

Beach access was easy. You can tell it's an older hotel but altogether for the price I would come back!