“Two times the charm… Great time...”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Virginia Beach (Oceanfront)
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New York City, New York
“Two times the charm… Great time...”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hotel is in a great location, right in the midst of the action, yet quiet enough for a relaxing stay. Staff was very attentive to our needs; we called the front desk for extra towels & had them in no time (they even called to ensure we had received them). Complimentary breakfast is always hot & fresh!

1 Thank SilviaYNyc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I really don't understand the negative reviews for this hotel. It's a busy beach hotel. But the staff is excellent, the property is clean, and the location is great. We had a wrong safe code problem and a warm refrigerator, and maintenance was at our room in minutes. It was also nice not having to go buy breakfast. Yes, you could nitpick a few little things, but if you did you're probably not gonna have a good time anywhere. Thank you staff.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank JohnWestSunbury
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My daughter and I made a mid-week trip last week to VA Beach to get away for a few days and celebrate her graduation from college. After reading and reading on TripAdvisor, I chose the Country Inn & Suites, mainly for location and indoor pool. I asked for a room where I could have a good view of the ocean and the staff immediately recommended the 5th floor. Boy, did they know what they were talking about - view was excellent. The hotel has it's own parking garage so you can park (inside out of the hot sun!) and be on the same floor as your room, making it easy to take your stuff into and out of the hotel.
The room was clean, the ocean view from your own private balcony was wonderful and the staff was very helpful. We did have a problem with the safe in our room not locking. Upon calling the front desk, they told us they would send maintenance up to look at it. Literally within 10 minutes, maintenance was there and had it working.
The hot breakfast was good. We enjoyed it all 3 days we were there. While some things were the same every day (waffles, yogurt, bagels, fresh fruit, cereal), there was a variety of hot cooked foods (bacon and eggs one morning, biscuits and gravy another morning, etc).
The bathroom was small, but it wasn't a problem for us. We had plenty of water pressure (and hot water) on the 5th floor. The balcony is also small. It holds 2 plastic chairs and that's about it.
This isn't a luxury hotel, was not anticipating that it was, but it has a great location (middle of the boardwalk, food, entertainment and beach all just steps away), an indoor pool (out of the sun), good hot breakfast, was clean and the staff were very attentive. (constant coffee in lobby was a big plus for me and the fresh baked cookies to go with them were an added bonus!). Would stay here again.

1 Thank Lisa A
tsgm, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Virginia Beach (Oceanfront), responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Lisa A,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am thrilled to see that you and your daughter enjoyed your time at the hotel! I also want to thank you for the wonderful thing you said about the staff. They work very hard to make your stay memorable thus making you want to come back. We want to be your only choice you think of when staying in Virginia Beach. Again, thank you and Congratulations to your daughter on accomplishing a big milestone and I know you are so proud of her.
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we thank you for your business and hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
All the best,
Hotel Management
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Unless you have a really good rate, I would strongly suggest keep looking. The location is great, direct ocean front within walking distance to fishing pier, stores and restaurnts. Parking garage with parking conveniently located on the same floor your hotel room is on, makes loading and unloading the car easy. Rooms are in need of a drastic refurbish. Air conditioners do not work in all rooms, water does not go down drain in bath tub quickly (was afraid we were going to overflow the tub after 3 showing, had to shower in ankle deep water), commodes do not always flush unless you hold handle down for a long period. Elevator was broken 3 out of the 4 days we were there. Hotel does have 2 elevators, but with 8 floors and a busy weekend, one working elevator for hotel staff with housekeeping carts and guests is not adequate. My daughter accidently dropped our beach bag on out hotel floor, leaving a small pile of sand on the rug on the first day we were there, four days later the sand was still on the carpet. Maid cleaned room but left no towels, call front deak and nicely asked for towels to shower, 45 minutes later had to call again and ask. Breakfast does include hot food, but is very limited. Does not compare to the standard hotel breakfast in selection and variety. Our stay was so disappointing, that we did look at outher hotels to stay the next time we visit Virginia Beach.

2 Thank summerdaze05
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at our hotel. First, let me apologize for the inconvenience you experienced as a guest of our hotel. I appreciate the time that you took to bring these matters to my attention. I assure you that the concerns will be looked into and will be addressed with each department. One of our many goals is to provide you and your family with a relaxing time away from home and leave you with a great guest experience and most important to us, is leaving you with a feeling of wanting to come back. Please know if you decide to give us another opportunity the staff and I will do our very best to ensure we give that great experience.

ohio
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel when they first opened a few years ago and had a lovely stay very clean and the staff was amazing, Basically everything you would want from a hotel. We recently stayed a second time and nothing was the same!!! Although the hotel itself didn't change the staff must have. Complacent front desk and shabby house keeping. The night clerk was walking around the hotel in socks like it was her house. The clerk the checked us in was rude and more concerned about payment then getting us the early checked we requested months ago. Being a Club Carlson member we have never had a problem with that request before. When my husband ask how long it would take for our room we were told that all the rooms were full from the night before and didn't know how long it would be and that check in was at 4:00 and we should have of planned accordingly. The room wasn't very clean, the balcony doors were finger printed and smudged all week. The dressers and lamps were dusty. It seemed like all they did was make the bed and leave clean towels. Breakfast was good better then most hotels I have stayed at. The kids enjoyed making there own waffles every morning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
tsgm, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Virginia Beach (Oceanfront), responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear suzyq784,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I also want to thank you for coming back to the hotel. I am so sorry that we feel short on duplicating or better yet exceeding your guest experience. Our goal is to make every guest feel like they are a member of the family and they are at a place that is a home away from home. I appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations
On behalf of our entire staff, we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel and we ask for another opportunity to the deliver the service, we know that will make you say I found my home away from home. (Remember 3 is a charm) LOL.
Hotel Management
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I am literally in this hotel as i write this, it is 3:30 am and i haven't slept a wink!!! Why you say?? Because there is no central air conditioning, there is a wall unit that doesn't blow cold air more than 2 feet in front of itself!! It is so hot in this room i had to open the sliding door to the balcony to try and get a breeze going, but to no avail. Not to mention the fridge doesn't work and is putting off a lot of heat! The fold out couch in the so called "suite" had some other guests loose change and large pieces of food crumbs in it! They put me in the room closest to the elevator so i get to hear everyone as they get on and off of it! I'm so upset i can't think straight! The worst part is that i can't leave because i brought my handicapped father with me who is finally sleeping so i don't want to wake him. My suggestion is DON'T EVER STAY HERE!!!! There is no excuse for giving me this awful room either because we got here on a thursday so we would miss all the memorial day weekend traffic and this place is not even half full judging by the parking garage having a small amount of cars in it. The only bright spot was Amanda who checked us in had a good attitude but other than that i am extremely upset!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Gary F
tsgm, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Virginia Beach (Oceanfront), responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Natsfan124,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your stay with us. First, let me apologize for the inconvenience you experienced as a guest of our hotel.
I want to assure you what you experienced is not the way we conduct business. Our goal is to provide a level of service and cleanliness that requires diligent attention to detail and is a matter of constant reinforcement at our hotel. I am sorry will fell short in your case. We take customer reviews very serious and always use them to make us better. I am sorry that we left you with a bad image of the hotel, but know your review will be used as a tool to make us better.
Although your review says, “Never Again”, I sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels ever bring you to the Virginia Beach area.

Sincerely

Joppa, Maryland
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Staff very friendly, average breakfast bar with hot and cold food on buffet, great location in middle of boardwalk. It has a very nice restaurant located within. Especially liked private balcony facing ocean.

Room Tip: A very convenient location, In middle of boardwalk.