“Nice room, but phone didn't work.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I stayed here for a convention. The convention center is a couple of blocks from the hotel. I liked the room, but it did smell a bit like air freshener. The bed was great: nice sheets and pillows. My phone did not work, I had could not get the alarm to work on the clock radio, and when I took a shower, the tub filled up 4" - 5" with water. The hallways were not very bright and my key card always needed several attemps to open the door.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Dear oscar1592:
Thank you for taking time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I do apologize that there were problems with the phone and the alarm clock as well as the tub drain. These are issues that should all be prevented. Our Executive Housekeeper has relayed these concerns to our staff and with their continued focus on ensuring that everything in the room is clean and in working order, I'm confident we will do a better job in preventing future guests from having the same experience.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach

Reviewed 11 October 2012

This hotel was filled with mold. My allergies were inflamed and I was sick for my entire vacation 1 week. My children were also affected. There was also a lack of service personnel leading to long wait times and rooms not being prepared for our check in time. The disability room was lacking the essentials, (no shower bar or toliet bar). I will never use this hotel brand for any future vacations.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Lahonda C

Dear Lahonda C:
I do apologize for the wait to check in as well as the allergy issues you and your family experienced. Our guests' comfort is extremely important, as is providing appropriate accommodations. We have several ADA rooms on property and all are in compliance. However, if there was anything we could have done during your visit to make you more comfortable, we would have done so gladly. Again, I apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory and would be grateful for any additional information you can share to ensure all concerns are addressed.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Max & Ermas need to close down and stay closed. Stayed at the Doubletree twice in the past week - understand issues while they are remodeling but this restaurant is less that terrible from the food to the service team. No one in the place last Monday evening except the football team - Virgina Destroyer ?? No wait staff knew I was sitting at a table - when one did show up to take a drink order she said she was the only one working the tables - she returned with wrong drink and said silly me. My first 4 items that I tried to order are no longer on the menu but are still listed.

Tried breakfast the next morning - had the buffet - ate and finished with no one coming over to the table - no water - on juice - no coffee

Because of this the Doubletree VA is now off my preferred list.

Room Tip: You have been warned
8  Thank bake4ugm
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Dear bake4ugm:
Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. Hearing from our guests helps us provide the best experience possible. We're sorry that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and we've shared your comments with our team so we can do a better job of providing wonderful hospitality and service to our guests. The next time you travel to the area, we hope that you'll be our guest again.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

It's like a time warp -- going back to an old style hotel/motel, My room must have been renovated, because it was clean enough and the bed was fine along with the TV and desk for working. Door locks need replacing -- card swipe takes 3 or 4 tries each time before working. Elevators slow and a bit dingy. Very convenient for the convention center (although there is a walk, noticeable when it rains). Front desk very courteous. A place like this should NOT charge for WiFi (which is only moderately fast). The bar waitress was first rate.

2  Thank EagleEyeBoston

Dear EagleEyeBoston:
Thank you for taking time to review our property. I am please that you enjoyed your room and received great service from our staff. We are in the process of replacing door locks; however, I do apologize that this impacted your stay. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel this past weekend--10-6/12 and the hotel was so outdated with stained carpet and walls in the rooms. Mold in the bathrooms and particularly worn furniture. How can you stay in business with a hotel in this awful shape. Rooms smell like bleach masked with air freshener. Wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. 1.5 stars (generously speaking)!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jrbnupe

Dear jrbnupe:
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We are excited to install new carpeting during our off-season as well as some additional improvements in the guest rooms. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I've been staying at this hotel now for just under 7 years. Throughout this time I've been exceptionally pleased with the entire staff, & their willingness to make sure all my needs are taken care of. The hotel is older, however it's clean and comfortable with all new flat screen TV's in every room.

Currently, there is construction going on in the lot adjacent from the hotel, but that is a good thing because it will bring upscale housing to the area, which will bring a better atmosphere to Max & Erma's bar & restaurant.

True, the elevators are very slow & on ocassion they are down to only 1 of 3 because of their constant maintenance requirements. The only fast things about the elevators are the doors. They tend to close before people can exit and enter, so watch your step. However, they do have plans on replacing them. The only thing other than the elevators I'd change is the locks on the doors. The card swiper usually takes 2 or 3 attempts to activate.

So in conclusion, I give the hotel rating very good, and expect over the next year with all the improvements being made to elevate to an excellent rating. I look forward to my stays at the hotel nearly 100 nights a year. It's my home away from home, cozy & comfortable.

2  Thank Mark A
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

Dear Mark A:
Thank you for your review. Your comments are amazingly accurate. We are look forward to modernizing the elevators and the upgrade to our guest room lock system is currently underway. We have had the elevator company slow down the doors so they don't close so quickly.
Thank you again for returning to our home away from home for so long. We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

I spent the past weekend at the hotel and for the price I paid, ($200.00 a night) I was very disappointed . It feels and look old and outdated and thats becuase it is! The room had a strong smell of urine and I imagine the previous guest had a dog (animals allowed) that pissed on the carpet. The hotel should be replaced in the carpet in the whole building. .

The lights in the parking lot don't work except for the main entrance. It's a safety issue and the hotel staffed used a "standard line" by saying they'd report it to maintenance. I bought it up with them upon my arrival which was late Friday night and again on Saturday evening. Based on their response, I got the impression that this isssue won't be addressed until a guest is hurt or assaulted. "It's scary and NOT SAFE!!

The staff was pleasant, the hotel is located right off the highway ( 264) and it is also next to the VB convention center and just a couple of miles or less away from the beach.

Next time I'll either pay the extra money and stay at a "broadwalk hotel" or pay less and make a commute to the beach from 20-25 miles out.

This should not be anyone's first chocie.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank James J

Dear James J:
Thank you for taking time to share feedback with us, both during your stay and through your review. While we were not able to correct these issues during your stay, we are moving forward with new carpeting in all the guest rooms now that our summer season has passed. We are also expanding our parking area, which includes additional lighting this month. I do apologize that the initial phase of this project impacted your stay.