“A typical Doubletree, nothing special”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 March 2010

The 12 story hotel is nice, but is starting to show it's age. Even with a recent remodeling, the place looks dated. Still the quality you would expect from a Doubletree... but it would be nice if they would wash the windows, they're filthy! Also, if you're a light sleeper the noise from the military jets at Oceana can be a bit irritating. That's not Doubletree's fault, but be aware that any hotel in this area of town is going to have aircraft noise. Max and Erma's restaurant in the lobby is mediocre at best.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear kirrabob:
Thank you for your review. The jets are beautiful to watch, but are a bit loud. We think of it as the sound of freedom.
Melanie Bowman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,386)

Reviewed 14 February 2010

We were in Virginia Beach for the Valentines day 14k, which went well despite the snow. Hotel smelled stale, like grandpa's attic. Broken vending machine was the first thing we saw as I exited elevator to find our room. The room was small, lamps were not plugged in, and had a broken thermostat. One out of three elevators was not working, which caused serious delays considering there are 12 floors. Elevators made no noise indicating that they were opening so each floor you stop op while going down requires you to shout into the halls "going down?" This would get one star for me but the staff was really friendly and the price was right.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear mattvt00:
Thank you for staying with us during the race. I do apologize that your experience fell short of expectations. As we continue to improve and upgrade the property; combined with our excellent service staff, we know your next visit will exceptional.

Reviewed 4 January 2010

Needed to find a reasonably priced place to stay for a very short night (only 5 hours). I was able to get a room at the Doubletree for the same price as some very low end motels near Norfolk airport, so I figured it had to at least be better than that. And it was GREAT! I called for a late arrival and to ensure I had a non smoking room and the front desk person (Hannah) was beyond pleasant, to the point where I even commented on it after I hung up. Upon arrival, I was glad to see that Hannah was actually still there and let her know that I appreciated her pleasant demeanor on the phone. Of course this continued as she checked us in and gave us the fabulous cookies.

Upon reaching our room we were pleased to find nice, updated rooms (doesn't look like they were on a budget to me). I was a little concerned given some of the other reviews, but now I'm thinking maybe they reviewed the wrong place because I just didn't see what they saw.

The only slight issue we had was with the elevator, which was running EXTREMELY slow due to a power surge that kept putting them in sleep mode. This was a little frustrating when you are trying to go down to get your things after a long day, as well as when you are in a hurry to get out in the morning.

There were also a few houskeeping items that could be improved, like one phone in the room that didn't work, or cleaning the tub a little deeper or cleaning the lights in the bathroom, but these were all minor things.

Overall, this was a good place to stay for the price. Hopefully I'll be able to return again and stay more than a few hours.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank kbslp22

Dear kbslp22:
Thank you for taking time to share your experience. I'm very pleased you had enjoyed your stay and hope to see you visit us again soon!

Reviewed 4 January 2010

I like how they give all guests a free chocolate chip cookie with nuts when they check in. They have Neutrogena products in the bathroom.The indoor pool area was ice cold. The weight room had so many weights. And the Max and Erma's had great food. When we stayed in this hotel, the electricity went out. And the water went off. Therefore, I had to climb down and up 12 flights of stairs in a stairwell with no heat when the wind chill was 14 degrees outside to get some breakfast! The elevators look very old. And I have never seen marble floors in a hotel bathroom before. This is now the Doubletree that's closest to my home since the one in Norfolk was closed down recently for being so horrible.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BigBlueBeast

Dear BigBlueBeast:
I am so sorry you were here during a power outage. Thank you for your kind words regarding the restaurant and your overall experience.

Reviewed 30 November 2009

My husband had a bad impression of Doubletree Hotels. My experiences had always been good ones and this was no different! I very happily report that our stay at this hotel changed my husband's opinion! We arrived at the hotel in the middle of a squall. The receptionist told us we just missed the hailstorm. The desk clerk greeted us cheerily and offered us the usual warm chocolate chip cookies. They felt great to hold in my cold hands! I always look forward to the cookies during my stays at the Doubletree but my husband who loves chocolate chip cookies cannot eat nuts. After my futile attempt to pick out the nuts for him I asked the desk clerk if they had any nut-free cookies available. She replied, "I'll check on that and if we don't have any I'll have the kitchen whip up a batch for your husband." When we returned from our day's excursion we found a box of six chocolate chip cookies with a note, "Please enjoy these cookies!" That is assuring your guests are happy!! Aside from this delicious welcome treat, (daily treat I might add) the hotel itself is a bit aged but there are renovation projects in progess. Our room was very comfortable and was much nicer than we had expected for a "beach" hotel. We only wished there were an additional desk light beside the bed for reading and an outlet to plug in the coffee maker. We managed with the resources at hand and these minor inconveniences were not distressing. My husband had an issue with the air handling system which roared every time it went on and kept him up at night. I slept right through it since I was quite tired from all the walking during the day. The location of the hotel was perfect for convention center activities and the beach was walkable (if you like to walk... it is about a 20 minute walk). The hotel is very dog friendly and our little schnoodle had a wonderful time. It was wonderful to get away over the Thanksgiving holiday. The beach was very quiet and peaceful. The hotel staff was very attentive during the off season. We had a great time.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JazsMom
Reviewed 14 November 2009

The designers of this hotel must have crossed over to the hospitality industry from parking garage architecture.

Please go back to building parking garages. This isn't your life calling.

The hallways are dimly lit with weird blue flourescent lighting, it's like one of those weird horror films where everything is mysteriously dark and dreary.

It's obvious the rooms are old with a sorry attempt to modernize on a strict budget.

Hilton, sell this property to a budget-class chain. It is not deserving of the Hilton badge.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I went to Virginia Beach for a short weekend getaway. We found a really good price online and were hoping that we wouldn't be disappointed. I was very surprised at how nice the staff were and the cookies you get at check-in are delicious! The rooms are pretty spacious and the beds are really comfortable. For the price- this hotel is a great deal! I was a little bit concerned when I saw the trip advisor rating- but the hotel proved much better than the rating. Thanks!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple