“Over priced and Over heated”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Overall quality of hotel was average. It seems to be a bit rundown and it appears that they attempted to renovate with a small budget. The hotel hallways and lobby were always hot. The air conditioning in the room wasn't working when we checked out. It was clean for a hotel. The service far surpassed the building. Front desk extremely helpful, friendly staff at every turn. The rooms were VERY small.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear fxsts:
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding our great staff! I do apologize for the worn appearance. We are continuing to make improvements, and look forward to exceeding your expectations upon your next visit.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach

Reviewed 22 April 2010

Some good, some not so good. Overall and OK experience. Hotel seemed old and outdated. Elevators were scary. Had problems on 2 occasions where elevator would not stop on my floor (11). It hopped from 10 to 12 and refused to stop at 11. Second occurrence was as the elevator was decending it hesitated temporarily at every other floor until it got to 5, then it stopped for no reason. I pushed a button for a different floor other than the lobby and it started again. Buttons in elevator are cracked and broken showing its age. Lastly, WIFI internet access in the room is available for a charge, it is not complimentary as it is in many hotels. That was a bit irritating. They do offer free WIFI on the 1st and 2nd floors if you are inclined to hang out in the lobby or hallways on those floors. In the past, I'm sure this was considered a very nice hotel but time has taken its toll so it should be categorized in the 2 star range vs. a 3 star.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Dear DMT23:
Thank you for your review. I do apologize for the elevator conscerns and can assure you we monitor and respond to all elevator comments to ensure safe operation. I understand that you were not pleased with your experience, but hope you will visit us again to see the changes made since your last visit.
Sincerley,

Reviewed 7 April 2010

The staff was on the ball, requested xtra lines at front desk when arriving they actually beat us to the room. The Doubletree in Va Beach was one of the best hotel experences I have ever had. Max and Ermas located on the property was also on the ball Marty the bartender was very friendy and made us feel like we where locals with his smile and service, Maria in housekeeping made sure we had xtra towels and anthing else we needed even with the language barrier, Nicole Smith and her front desk where always there to help and ansewers questions. Thank you Doubletree, Nicole and Staff for a great two days. Look forward to seeing ya'll soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Missmama44:
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 21 March 2010

I booked my trip through Priceline [name your own bid for three-star] and I was disappointed.

I believe Double Tree doesn't like people who book through Priceline/Hotwire. I had called day before with some special request and was promised that it was noted and will be looked into when I come in but NOTHING happened. I was just told it was full house and I cannot be accommodated on my requests [however I see people checking in all evening and more still trickling in]. I was given a double bed when I went with my Girl Friend and called back to ask for King, front desk didn't pick my call [apparently busy!]. Some other agent picked up and walked to front desk and came back to tell me 'NO'.

I won't mind paying another 30-40 bucks but they should have mentioned this. Treating Priceline buyers different is sad. I will NEVER book in DoubeTree nor through Priceline again.

Priceline screwed me by showing that this hotel is in sea-side but it is more than mile away from sealine. Hotwire is better as they at least have option to show if the hotel is seafront or not but priceline doesn't.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear desi_wanderer:
Unfortunately, there are trade-offs to receiving discounted pricing through third party companies. I am very sorry we were not able to accommodate your requests and that this experience has left a bad taste. It is our desire to make every guest experience great, and I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations this time.

Reviewed 9 March 2010

The 12 story hotel is nice, but is starting to show it's age. Even with a recent remodeling, the place looks dated. Still the quality you would expect from a Doubletree... but it would be nice if they would wash the windows, they're filthy! Also, if you're a light sleeper the noise from the military jets at Oceana can be a bit irritating. That's not Doubletree's fault, but be aware that any hotel in this area of town is going to have aircraft noise. Max and Erma's restaurant in the lobby is mediocre at best.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business

Dear kirrabob:
Thank you for your review. The jets are beautiful to watch, but are a bit loud. We think of it as the sound of freedom.

Reviewed 14 February 2010

We were in Virginia Beach for the Valentines day 14k, which went well despite the snow. Hotel smelled stale, like grandpa's attic. Broken vending machine was the first thing we saw as I exited elevator to find our room. The room was small, lamps were not plugged in, and had a broken thermostat. One out of three elevators was not working, which caused serious delays considering there are 12 floors. Elevators made no noise indicating that they were opening so each floor you stop op while going down requires you to shout into the halls "going down?" This would get one star for me but the staff was really friendly and the price was right.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear mattvt00:
Thank you for staying with us during the race. I do apologize that your experience fell short of expectations. As we continue to improve and upgrade the property; combined with our excellent service staff, we know your next visit will exceptional.

Reviewed 4 January 2010

Needed to find a reasonably priced place to stay for a very short night (only 5 hours). I was able to get a room at the Doubletree for the same price as some very low end motels near Norfolk airport, so I figured it had to at least be better than that. And it was GREAT! I called for a late arrival and to ensure I had a non smoking room and the front desk person (Hannah) was beyond pleasant, to the point where I even commented on it after I hung up. Upon arrival, I was glad to see that Hannah was actually still there and let her know that I appreciated her pleasant demeanor on the phone. Of course this continued as she checked us in and gave us the fabulous cookies.

Upon reaching our room we were pleased to find nice, updated rooms (doesn't look like they were on a budget to me). I was a little concerned given some of the other reviews, but now I'm thinking maybe they reviewed the wrong place because I just didn't see what they saw.

The only slight issue we had was with the elevator, which was running EXTREMELY slow due to a power surge that kept putting them in sleep mode. This was a little frustrating when you are trying to go down to get your things after a long day, as well as when you are in a hurry to get out in the morning.

There were also a few houskeeping items that could be improved, like one phone in the room that didn't work, or cleaning the tub a little deeper or cleaning the lights in the bathroom, but these were all minor things.

Overall, this was a good place to stay for the price. Hopefully I'll be able to return again and stay more than a few hours.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank kbslp22

Dear kbslp22:
Thank you for taking time to share your experience. I'm very pleased you had enjoyed your stay and hope to see you visit us again soon!