“This was a bad decision”

Americas Best Value Inn-Norfolk Airport Area
Ranked #96 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Cleveland Ohio
“This was a bad decision”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I had an advertised rate of $53.10. At check-in I found there was an additional $2 "Miscellaneous Charge", so the advertised rate was not truthful. Also advertised were free Wi-Fi and free breakfast. There was no Wi-Fi in the room. I did not check for Wi-Fi in the lobby. The breakfast was "closed" the day I stayed. So no truth to Wi-Fi and breakfast either. Oh, the room was gross. Really gross. Just disgusting gross. Gross, gross, gross.

Nice touches if you need a hotel to film a teen horror flick:

- Creepy people sit with their doors open, smoking in the non- smoking rooms, and watching you REAL carefully as you walk by.

- The shades don't close. They are just an invitation to the creepy people to keep a closer eye on you. I jammed my shades shut with the back of a chair.

I've stayed in hostels and YMCAs without complaint. I know not to expect the Ritz for $53. ($55 when you include the scam charges). But this was not even a good $25 hotel.

Room Tip: For the love of God stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank NattyClevelandOhio
abvivabeach, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Norfolk Airport Area, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest.
We apologize for your inconvenience here at Americas Best Value Inn. We provide phone service in each room and this phone charge is the $ 2.00 Misc. charge. However, we do offer a $ 2.00 refund if the guest does not need a phone in their room. We provide complimentary breakfast daily and our breakfast time is 7.00am to 9.30am. So, it might be possible that by the time you came for breakfast, it was already past the time. The Wi-Fi at the motel is from 'COX' and we were experiencing poor connectivity and 'COX' was notified to fix the problem. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Virginia Beach. VA-23455

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am so appalled I don't even know where to begin. The room wreaked of urine. The floor was filthy, The only thing between me and the mattress springs was a plastic mattress cover i believe is either used for children that urinate or an attempt to get rid of a bed bud problem. No amount of Febreze helped the urine smell. I initially thought it was on the rug but later had the pleasure of finding out it was my bedspread that was almost made me vomit all day. I called to complain and was told I could not change rooms, I cannot get a refund for the week I paid for and if I was that unhappy I could just check out. I was spoken to in such a rude manner I felt intimidated for complaining. The place is very shady. When I went to return keys and get a number for corporate the manager just laughed. My husband is a disabled veteran and works for the Navy. He was so angry he was shaking. I had to get him away because we were being laughed at. I feel like I was robbed and told to deal with it. I will do everything in my power to see that this place is held accountable. I am not exaggerating please stay away. Awful, dangerous, and dirty...

Room Tip: Never ever choose this place. It should not be open because it's filthy. Management and ho...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Freckles0389
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your experience at our property.
Critical feedback is a great way for us to improve guest satisfaction.I apologize for the inconvenience. Actually, the motel you stayed in has some rooms under renovation for quite some time. we have now replaced all mattress, carpets etc. in the room, we do have a licensed pest company routinely treat our rooms as a preventative measure. We do take your concerns very seriously. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards.
5725- Northampton Blvd.

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

the shower sucked. the pool was closed so i couldnt play around with my boyfriend koopa and the walls were paper thin that people kept calling to complain about me sleeping my boyfriend. and the power went off twice!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: make sure no one is in a room next to u if u moan at all during sex
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest.
Thank you for sharing a review with us. I am deeply concerned about this issues you encountered during your visit. We take all complaints seriously. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Virginia Beach. VA
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Bring the following things before you stay at America's Best Value Inn: Your own pillows, sheets, and comforter; plenty of socks; a can of Febreeze; a can of Raid; earplugs; and a can of Mace. You need your own bedding because this place is absolutely disgusting and unsanitary. Bring plenty of socks because the carpet is so dirty, it will turn the bottoms of your feet black. You need a can of Febreeze because every room REEKS of smoke, even if it is in the non-smoking section. You'll need the Raid for all the creepy crawlies you'll encounter; beetles, cockroaches, etc. Bring earplugs because if you're as unlucky as I was, there will be a bunch of middle-aged alcoholic adults partying from 11 PM-6AM in the MIDDLE OF THE WEEK. The lobby will ignore all your complaints about excessive noise, so don't bother. Bring Mace because every time you leave your room, there will be several people watching you. People who live at this hotel lurk in the hallways and on the balconies. Everytime I took my dog out to take a crap, I had several pairs of eyes on me. People who live here leave their doors open so they can keep an eye on what's going on outside. Don't keep your drapes open. Creepy old men will slowly walk past your window and stare at you as if it's their right to do that. This is hands down the worst hotel in Virginia. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, except for maybe ex-cons on welfare, except they all seem to be living there already. You should sleep in your car before you sleep at this hotel. It's cleaner, safer, quieter and smells better. It's probably more comfortable too. The bed in this hotel felt like a slab of concrete. I don't care how cheap America's Best Value Inn is. I'd rather DIE than stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Meryl S
Dear Guest.
Thank you for taking your time to share a review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Actually, the motel you stayed in has some rooms under renovation for quite some time.
We have now replaced all mattress, carpet etc. in the room. I apologize for the inconvenience. As a preventative measure, we do have a licensed pest company routinely treat our rooms. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Mount Airy, Maryland
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My wife, son and myself spent 4 nights here and altough a bit old the hotel was great. i saw no bugs. The beds were comfortable and the staff was great. The pool was cleaned every morning and was a big hit with my son. It could use some more chairs, tables and umbrellas. The AC worked GREAT. Super hot water (watch out) and great pressure while taking a shower. All in all our stay was great and if needed we would stay again. Oh yeah, a bit of fresh fruit on the breakfast bar would be a nice touch. And something other than milk and cofee to drink.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank shmroc313
Dear Valued Guest.
We hope you stay in our motel again.

5725- Northampton Blvd.
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I thought that maybe the reviews were just a little too harsh but NO I should have taken the advice from others. This hotel is the worst one I've ever been to. Not at all clean, smells like smoke, trashy, and just simply gross. The ONLY positive about this hotel is that the staff is friendly and will try to help you in any way possible. Don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Morgan C
Dear Guest.
Thank you for sharing a review with us. I am deeply concerned about the issues you encountered during your visit. We take all complains seriously. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

LINVILLE
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The room was a basic set up. The building is older looking and there are just general maintenance issues. The room was clean, especially the bathroom which is very often the tell tale of a dirty place. There were people out late and clearly resident "tenants" of the hotel; but, that's what you expect of an inexpensive hotel in a busy town. Not a family environment, but it was acceptable for a one night stay for myself and my partner.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior court yard of the building are quieter and feel safer.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest.
Thank you for sharing a review with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Critical feedback is a great way for us to improve guest satisfaction. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.