“This place is horrible”

Ranked #105 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Lansing, Michigan
“This place is horrible”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I needed a place to stay for a week and decided to book here because of the cheap price and military discount. We came in very late on a week night and the first lady we talked to was extremely nice and helpful. All the staff we came into contact after that were the complete opposite. Our fridge in our room didn't work and the floors were dirty. We would take a shower and by the time we got to our bed we would already have dirt on our feet. Our bed had a flat sheet instead of a fitted sheet and as a result we were basically laying on the nasty mattress cover as the bed was never made properly. Bed was hard, sheets had blood stains, and the comforter looked as if it had never been washed. Not to mention I felt something crawling and flying around me in the middle of the night.
The staff was really unprofessional and their hygiene was very poor. Definitely not impressive when they are the ones in charge of keeping up the inn. The atmosphere of the whole place was just really shady. I tried going to the pool and there was a large crowd of individuals smoking and playing loud music and just not being considerate that there were other people around.
We also tried going to the continental breakfast and all they had were bagels, juice boxes, coffee, and prepackaged junk. I tried opening the fridge that was down there as I thought there might be fruit or something in there that I could eat as I can not eat gluten and the only thing they had out that I could eat was juice and coffee. The lady working at the front desk snapped and asked me what I was doing like I was a complete idiot.
Needless to say this place was horrible. I don't usually do reviews on places but everyone should know what this place was like. I'm honestly a little afraid to stay at hotels now because of my experience here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole16893
abvivabeach, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Norfolk Airport Area, responded to this review, 28 April 2015
Dear Nicole16893,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us from 2014. Sorry for taking so long to respond. I apologize that we were not able to deliver good experience with us. Rest assured, I am addressing the issues and have recently hired new desk staff. We hope that you stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns across the Country.

Americas Best Value Inn-Virginia Beach, VA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Portland
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Breakfast is very bad.. and the smell is horrible..
I requested for a non-smoking Room but they donot have any in their facility.. room has a combination of cigarette smell & wet carpet smell..
There is no internet Wifi connection for 4 days, they kept on saying that they informed cable person and he will come and fix which did not happen..
Lotion inside bathroom is horrible..
My rating will be less than 1.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Kiran2003,

On behalf of the staff, I would like to personally apologize for the WIFI and other issues you encountered during your stay in 2014. We have recently added new routers and this has since alleviated the issue. We hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My first impression of this horrid place began when I over heard a very unproffessional comment bieng made by the manager to a male worker. I actually heard the manager of this inn refer to a female employee as" retarded" ( while my card was bieng charged, smh)
Had I not been so tired after my drive, I would have asked for a refund and taken my family somewhere more respectful toward clients and guests alike.However, I didn't and for this my decent into this discusting abyss...oh.....lol...."Inn" began.Upon locating my room,I had learned that my room key did not work so I had to walk all the way back to the front desk and retrieve another.
Once we were inside the room I noticed that the lights were not working. So I called the front desk to see if I could get some help. After 45 minutes of waiting (angrily) mind you the rudest employee EVER arrived. This man referred to me as "annoying" because he had to bring me light bulbs for my room! THAT I PREPAID FOR A WEEK IN ADVANCE!
After he made several comments and left ( commenting the entire time)
My wife called the front desk and made a complaint. She hung up the phone ....turned around and informed me that she was laughed at by the front desk attendant. After getting prepared for the night we noticed several things ( I have enclosed pictures as proof) the bed covers had what seemed to be urine, food or dried blood stains? Luckily we had some blankets from our trip.After further inspection of our room we noticed the carpets were FILTHY, we had no tv remote, the sink,was discusting, the toilet either leaked or someone previously had urinated all over the floor because the bathroom reaked of urine and our shower was stopped up!
Since we were so tired physically of our trip and the HORRIBLE ACCOMMODATIONS/SERVICE ...we called it a night.

The following day my daughter woke us up screaming.when we asked her what was wrong she said there was a roach crawling over her face and it almost got in her mouth! At this point i got dressed, walked up to the front desk and asked for either another room or a refund. I was informed I would not be given neither and if I continued to be a PROBLEM? I would be asked to leave. I asked for corporates number, called and after several angry moments returned to my room and begrudgedly tolerated my remaining HORRIBLE TIME THERE!
The pool was constantly dirty, some guests were very inconsiderate as to their partying( at times to 3 a.m.) the buffet restaurant inside the hotel was as bad if not worse than the hotel and
the male workers with the exception of a fine employee named Scott were as nasty in disposition and attitude as someone from a state institution.
I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS DUMP OR ITS SERVICE TO MY WORST ENEMY.
~ A very disgusted and angry American Veteran

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank veteran1999
Dear Veteran1999,

I am concerned about the issues you had mentioned in your review from 2014. I would like to personally apologize for the lack of cleanliness and customer service issues. We have recently hired and trained new staff to better accommodate our future guests. We also have a professional pest company which treats our rooms each month.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had stayed in the motel once before and really did not have too much of an issue. That was not the case this past weekend. There was unusual circumstances that I arrived before my friend. I asked to go into the room first and even called him so he could let them know it was okay. The woman at the front office refused. She even talked on the phone to him and he said it would be fine.. they had his money as it was paid for online with a a credit card. While i understand rules there are exceptions to them and it was just the courteous thing to do under the circumstances. Then I told her about my pet and she informed me no more walking the dog in the courtyard area only the perimeter of the building. The parking lot was full of glass and the perimeter was full of dog poo. They had NO signs posted about this.. When we got ready to check out.. the cleaning crew had come by at 10 am. I told him we were checking out that day and we didnt need service. For 40 minutes they stood right outside the room just waiting for us to checkout. The room itself was okay, I have no complaints about that,but i will not stay there again just because there was NO CUSTOMER SERVICE for us at all. We will go back to the area often.. but will no longer stay at this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Debbie1256
Dear Debbie1256,

Thank you for posting a review with us. I am sorry that you experienced poor customer service during your visit. While I understand your concerns, we are accountable and must protect the security of our guests. Unfortunately we cannot be flexible in our procedures and cannot issue room keys or grant access to a room without any additional guests being registered to the room. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectation.

Cleveland Ohio
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I had an advertised rate of $53.10. At check-in I found there was an additional $2 "Miscellaneous Charge", so the advertised rate was not truthful. Also advertised were free Wi-Fi and free breakfast. There was no Wi-Fi in the room. I did not check for Wi-Fi in the lobby. The breakfast was "closed" the day I stayed. So no truth to Wi-Fi and breakfast either. Oh, the room was gross. Really gross. Just disgusting gross. Gross, gross, gross.

Nice touches if you need a hotel to film a teen horror flick:

- Creepy people sit with their doors open, smoking in the non- smoking rooms, and watching you REAL carefully as you walk by.

- The shades don't close. They are just an invitation to the creepy people to keep a closer eye on you. I jammed my shades shut with the back of a chair.

I've stayed in hostels and YMCAs without complaint. I know not to expect the Ritz for $53. ($55 when you include the scam charges). But this was not even a good $25 hotel.

Room Tip: For the love of God stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank NattyClevelandOhio
abvivabeach, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Norfolk Airport Area, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
April 28, 2014
Dear Guest.
We apologize for your inconvenience here at Americas Best Value Inn. We provide phone service in each room and this phone charge is the $ 2.00 Misc. charge. However, we do offer a $ 2.00 refund if the guest does not need a phone in their room. We provide complimentary breakfast daily and our breakfast time is 7.00am to 9.30am. So, it might be possible that by the time you came for breakfast, it was already past the time. The Wi-Fi at the motel is from 'COX' and we were experiencing poor connectivity and 'COX' was notified to fix the problem. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Utpal Patel - Manager.
Virginia Beach. VA-23455
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am so appalled I don't even know where to begin. The room wreaked of urine. The floor was filthy, The only thing between me and the mattress springs was a plastic mattress cover i believe is either used for children that urinate or an attempt to get rid of a bed bud problem. No amount of Febreze helped the urine smell. I initially thought it was on the rug but later had the pleasure of finding out it was my bedspread that was almost made me vomit all day. I called to complain and was told I could not change rooms, I cannot get a refund for the week I paid for and if I was that unhappy I could just check out. I was spoken to in such a rude manner I felt intimidated for complaining. The place is very shady. When I went to return keys and get a number for corporate the manager just laughed. My husband is a disabled veteran and works for the Navy. He was so angry he was shaking. I had to get him away because we were being laughed at. I feel like I was robbed and told to deal with it. I will do everything in my power to see that this place is held accountable. I am not exaggerating please stay away. Awful, dangerous, and dirty...

Room Tip: Never ever choose this place. It should not be open because it's filthy. Management and ho...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Freckles0389
April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your experience at our property.
Critical feedback is a great way for us to improve guest satisfaction.I apologize for the inconvenience. Actually, the motel you stayed in has some rooms under renovation for quite some time. we have now replaced all mattress, carpets etc. in the room, we do have a licensed pest company routinely treat our rooms as a preventative measure. We do take your concerns very seriously. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards.
Utpal Patel - Manager
5725- Northampton Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA-23455
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

the shower sucked. the pool was closed so i couldnt play around with my boyfriend koopa and the walls were paper thin that people kept calling to complain about me sleeping my boyfriend. and the power went off twice!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: make sure no one is in a room next to u if u moan at all during sex
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest.
Thank you for sharing a review with us. I am deeply concerned about this issues you encountered during your visit. We take all complaints seriously. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Utpal Patel - Manager
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#23 of 37 in Norfolk
Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk Airport
Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach - No...
#49 of 109 in Virginia Beach
Quality Inn Little Creek
Quality Inn Little Creek
#71 of 109 in Virginia Beach
19 Atlantic Hotel
19 Atlantic Hotel
#63 of 109 in Virginia Beach
Wingate by Wyndham Virginia Beach / Norfolk Airport
Wingate by Wyndham Virginia Beac...
#44 of 109 in Virginia Beach

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Norfolk Airport Area? Share your experiences!