“Surprisingly Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
accokeek
“Surprisingly Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

The Magnuson was affordable, clean and had very beautiful + pleasant staff. I was half expecting a not so great rooms and rude staff, but was a i surprised the place was clean, pool was nice and so were the staff. Would definitely recommend to everyone that is looking for great quality and great value.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mxsing1986
S C, Manager at Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
On behalf of staff and management we thank you for this wonderful feedback. We welcome future visits.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
VA
Reviewed 8 May 2011

traveled with friends, didn't want to pay much for a hotel near the beach. Great hospitality, surprisingly clean rooms...i've paid more before and those hotels didn't have such clean rooms! Breakfast bar, spacious room, clean bathrooms ( very important to us girls).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank VaHotelStay
S C, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
It is a great feeling when you hear someone say the hotel was great and at a great price. We try to keep our prices reasonable, but also keep our level of quality high. Many people travelling find it convenient and affordable to stay here and visit the ocean front. We hope that you return this summer and see the new renovations since last year.
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 November 2010

This hotel is cozy and in a great location close to interstates and FREE WI-FI. The rooms were clean and the bed was huge. The front desk girl was really helpful and informative about the area. The housekeeping lady was so kind to us she even went as far as she helped me do a load of my laundry in their guest laundry. The lounge that they have has some good home cooked foods, true Virginia cooking. The best part of it all was it was so affordable. It is not often you have money left over from your hotel stay. I will be back next time we go through Virginia on our way to South Carolina. Thank you everyone for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SCBound2010
We take great pride to receive delightful reviews from our customers. This tells us we are doing a fine job in making sure the needs of our clients are met & our standard operating procedures are followed. Thank you for your words and we look forward to servicing you all again.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 17 July 2010

The desk clerks was very rude. I ask for a roll away bed for 3 hrs one says we don't have one another said we will find you one. The man that finally brought the bed smelled like he had not showered in a week and his teeth ewwww was so nasty and his breath stunk i just got the bed and got away. When the bed finally came it was full size sheets with it that smelt terrible and dirty. The blanket to the bed was a full size blanket cut in two. what the crap!!!! I ask for a hair dryer because ours did not work. I ask several times never did get one. The bathroom didn't even have a stopper for the tub, i thought what the crap, i couldn't even give the baby a bathe. When i ask for a stopper for the tub i was told they didn't have any. There was mold on the shower curtain and i just kept thinking this is the worst place in the world i could have ever stayed.man that. Everything smelt of mildew and ciggarettes, the carpet was so filthy dirty. I swear if we wasn't so tired we would have just left. I was so glad to get out of that place. I highly do not recommend this hotel to anyone. The rates are over priced and the hotel people are rude, rooms are very dirty.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank terrible1234
Come_and_Stay, Manager at Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 2 August 2010
I sincerely apolize for the bad experience you had while staying with us. I want to thank you for your comments and appreciate your feedback. Your feedback is very crucial in assisting me to work with the ownership to improve our facility.

Although we are going through changes both in personel and the phsyical improvements of the guest rooms and the exterior of the property to ensure our guests are satisfy, we sometimes failed to satisfy all guests. With that said, again I want to apologize to you and your family for your bad experience and I assure you that I will continue to work diligently to improve the service and quaility of our establishment.

Mgt

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I had a pleasant stay on Fri., 4/30 - Sat., 5/1. This property's number of rooms seemed to go on forever, with wings stretching in every direction from the office and restaurant base. The bed was clean and comfortable, and I had complete quiteness.

The front desk clerk, a lady with a foreign accent, was courteous and friendly. So was the male clerk I met the next day. That night as I wandered through the lobby with an ice bucket in my hand, a man whom I assume was a staff member, anticipated my need and chose to kindly direct me to the ice machine.

This property was undergoing renovation. The only downside was that I was placed on the side facing a breakfast restaurant, like a Waffle House or something. That side was sparsely occupied, causing me to feel like I was in a ghost town. It worked out okay though, because it was extra quiet without the continuous trampling of feet past my door.

Though I had requested to be placed on a side facing a barrier of evergreen trees, I also requested a non-smoking, second floor room, which was more important, and resulted in me being placed on the opposite side.

This motel is at a large intersection with other inns, so it's a busy area. I saw a police car at a couple of the neighboring businesses a couple of times. Once the policeman was discussing an incident, in front of a convenience store/gas station, with 3 people. I also noticed a few questionable characters briskly walking through the property a few times.

I simply went quietly and quickly about my affairs, carefully noticing everything around me, as I always make a point to do. Being security conscious is important no matter where I am.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank LadyFisher
Thank you for feedback. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay. I will continue to work with my ownership and staff to deliver a positive guest experience to every guests that stay with us.

Mgt
DC Area
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I actually had reservations next door at the Best Western which surprisingly is a whole LOT nicer with its free Wi-Fi, flat screen TVs on the walls, work desks with ergonomic chairs and LOTS of SPACE. But unfortunately they had overbooked, so I was sent to the Days Inn. This hotel reminded me more of a cheap creepy MOTEL. I'm not sure how they can charge $129 a night to stay there. The rooms are EXTRA small, the mattress was old and you could tell because the cloth was coming off of it from the bottom, the tub in my room was FILTHY as if it hadn't been cleaned since at least 4 guests before me and the washcloths/towels were RAGGEDY with strings hanging from them and still possessed the previous users' "hairs" stuck inside. The walls were extremely thin as I could hear the people above me with their kids sounding as if they were doing somersaults off the furniture and the guests next door banging on the walls/floor. Lets not forget the EXTRA CRAMPED bathroom which was barely big enough to turn around in and the toilet seat which looked as if it had been there since 1963 along with the badly peeling pain in the ceiling, and mildew and mold in the shower curtain. The carpet in the room was in EXTREME need of a vacuum or possibly new carpet and the door to the room and also the bathroom door looked as if there had been a few fights in the room previously. I would have asked for a different room since I wasn't satisfied, but it was very late after a long drive from DC and after this room, I was pretty sure the others would have been just as bad. I'm wondering what Days Inn the previous few posters stayed in, because I'm almost SURE it wasn't this one. Shut this dump DOWN and completely revamp before you try and charge this ridiculous amount of money for people to be creeped out, cramped up and uncomfortable.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mstee511
Come_and_Stay, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 24 May 2010
I apologize for the unsatisfactory experience you had while staying at the Days Inn Norfolk Airport.

I want all guests to have a great experience here. That is why I am personally committed during our renovation and switching over to a new brand that we will provide excellent service and quality to our guests.

As far the rate, the rate you pay is what Best Western is charging you. The rate that we are getting from another hotel for their overflow guests can vary from the rate the guest is paying that particular hotel/motel.

As a Magnuson Hotel, my staff and I are committed to providing excellent service and quality. The renovation and switching of our new brand will be completed within the next couple of weeks. I ask that you bear with us and forgive our appearance as we undergo the renovation so that we can fulfill our commitment to you by providing you great quality, service, value, and overall experience.

Mgt.