“A work in progress”

Ranked #88 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Gainesville, Georgia
“A work in progress”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

It is what it is... if you want a cheap stay and don't mind sleeping in an uncomfortable bed hearing a lot of noise and cops its the place for you.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Mayra J
S C, Manager at Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
At the present time, our hotel is undergoing renovations so we can accommodate our visitors to their highest satisfaction. Unfortunately your visit with us occurred during these circumstances and we feel remorseful you experienced an uncomfortable stay with us. Once our remodeling is accomplished, we would appreciate another visit by you. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I came to Magnuson hotel around Feb 2012 and I found it great...I made lots of trips for business and this place is one of the best I have ever seen, the rooms are clean and large with refrigerator and microvawe, which are not provided by every hotel. Very clean and neat place, kind, friendly and helpful staff, rooms are recently renovated, their rates are very modest compared to excellent services and rooms they offer. My stay experience was very pleasant and I stayed for one week, the location is also nice, close to airport, highways 64 and 264, easy drive to Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I highly recommend this hotel...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
We appreciate the kind words and are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Toronto
Reviewed 14 February 2012

As a frequent traveler to various countries around the world, I must say this hotel was one of the most pleasant, comfortable and friendliest places I have resided at. Not only was customer service polite, they went out of their way to make sure I had everything I needed and requested. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. I read the previous reviews and was shocked at how people could write horrible lies & negative comments about this hotel. Take it from me, you will not be disappointed at your stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking out the time to show your appreciation towards us. It makes us proud to know we are respecting our clients well & that we stay committed to our obligations.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 31 January 2012

As a prominent business traveler in the Virginia Beach Area I have read all of the OLD reviews. I took a chance and made a reservation. ALL of the bad reviews are YEARS old. The rooms are clean and renovated. They have VERY reasonable rates and will match any hotel in the area. They have a great restaurant on site, a free airport shuttle, continental breakfast, wi-fi, and large meeting rooms that are beautiful and exceptionally reasonable in price. This hotel is a Virginia Beach landmark and is family oriented in management, and it reflects on the guest experience. Any small incident will motivate someone to badmouth a business. The Magnuson deserves to be heard and any vindication is well deserved. I strongly recommend this hotel for your next event or Virginia Beach getaway!!

Room Tip: This hotel has ample parking, all rooms are away from main streets. The business rooms are spacious...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank chris w
Thank you for visiting us regardless of the previous contradictory reviews. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us & hope this pleasant atmosphere will elicit another visit.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This is one of the cheapest hotels in Norfolk, and from first entering I was expecting a really low budget hotel. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I found myself entering a spacious room with microwave, fridge, and our King size bed. I'd been to a hotel in the area for double the price and it had twice as much room. They have an on-site restaurant which has great service, and is really close to other great restaurants (the Chinese buffet across the street is GREAT). We had one night where our room keys didn't work but we just went up to the desk and they fixed it, in less than 2 minutes. I've had no problems with the bathrooms, and there are plenty of places to put your stuff. It's also a great bed and just really pleased that you can get this much for so little! Internet service was also great and staff has been pleasant. I would recommend it, especially if you can get military discount.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dearjamie26
It is our obligation to make sure the duration of our clients visit is nothing less than respectful, appreciated & satisfactory & we are glad you experienced all of that with us. We are grateful for your generous words...thank you.
virginia beach
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Unbelievable for such a low rate. Family stayed for 2 weeks! Nice clean rooms,friendly housekeepers and beautiful pool! i was very surprised and happy...Thanks to the management..Will visit again while in VB

Room Tip: Ask for daily rooms or rooms by the pool also has a great bar...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank pookiebear1970
Thank you! We welcome any future visits and look forward to servicing you again.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I recently stayed at your hotel in Norfolk, VA. As a frequent travel this is the second worst stay of my life. I paid cash up front for a five day stay and was assured there would be no problem getting refunded the remaining balance if I checked out early. I requested a nonsmoking room as close to the office as possible to ensure I had a good Internet connection. I was assigned room 101. The room definitely had a smoker in it previously and the room smelled bad. The Internet was inaccessible even after three complaints to the staff. The shower water would not drain normally and was extremely slow with previous tenant’s hair and debris surfacing as it backed up. It was very disgusting. I had just traveled 24 hours on a plane from East Asia and was very jetlagged and tired. The next day I resumed the complaints of the Internet to no avail. That evening I decided to move hotels prior to taking dealing with the plumbing issues again. I was very shocked to have gotten resistance from the Hotel Manager in moving. He insisted that eh send someone to the room and see if they can fix the plumbing. I reinstated my displeasure in the smell and Internet access. He continued to debate this with me and we volleyed back and forth my request to change rooms and his insistence in fixing the problems in the room. The hotel was not book full and there was plenty of room throughout the hotel. I expressed that these plumbing problems weren’t going to get fixed quickly and I did not want to be endure being bothered with a maintenance crew in my room until this was fixed and it still doesn’t negate the fact the Internet does not work and the room smells. The conversation became escalated and shouting began as I insisted that he fix the problems with that room after he moved me to another. He continued to resist but conceded to moving me any after I continued to protest his reasoning and refusal to accommodate a paying customer. The next room did not have access to the Internet either and the water drained slowly. I decided I was going to check out completely and move to another hotel. He initially refused to refund my money and went to check the internet himself and run the water in the tub. He came back and wanted to argue with me on the standard of the drains as if that’s common for this area of Virginia. I explained to him that I had lived here a few years ago and it is not! The water would pool up around your ankles within a minute. I explained to him again that I wanted my money back and did not care to discuss his responsibilities as a manager. He questioned why I took so long to report the smell of the room and the Internet, which was on the second day, implying that my delay did not qualify me for a refund. I became very angry and explained to him loudly, as if I needed to even do so, that I just traveled from the other side of the world and my sleep schedule hasn’t adjusted so I slept most of the day on the second day. I also explained to him that he need not question my timeliness in reporting and that he as the manager has the responsibility to stay on top of these issues as I am sure they didn’t just happen before I showed up and I am not the only one who can’t get on the Internet. He continued to argue with me to my surprise and made a comment using the term “You people”, I’m not sure what he was referring to; that I was white, in the military, or American. I went next door to the Best Western where the Internet worked in the room, the room had no odor, and the water drained as it should. I will never stay at another chain or affiliate of this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Brian S
We regret & apologize your stay with us was unlikable. We take these matters seriously & acknowledge negative feedback only to better our facility to ensure these occurrences never happen again. Please feel free to give us a call to discuss these issues in more details & to resolve any hostile feelings. We appreciate your stay with us and respect your opinions….thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels