“Could be even better”

Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Marriottsville, Maryland
“Could be even better”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights and had a really good impression of the front desk and the overall facility. The rooms were very quiet and furnishings were fine.

The biggest issue for me was the shower. The shower was nicely done with modern grey tiles. The problem was that the grout had mildew and mold. The grey tile hid the presence of mold and mildew. The bathroom definitely had a musty smell and could have used a thorough spray to get rid of the mildew. I am allergic to mold and this triggered my allergies.

It is a shame that this room had this issue. A nice hotel that could be even better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Michelle D, sales assistant at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear balti_less,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. I am glad that the front desk made a good impression on you, they work very hard and it is nice to hear when they do a good job. I am sorry you experience issues during your stay. This issue will be brought to our director of facilities attention, so we can work to prevent this issue in the future. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to impress you.
Michelle, manager of Guest Satisfaction

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
New Windsor, Maryland
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The rooms here are clean, spacious, and quiet. The TV is in HD, and there are many channels. The pool is large and clean. The workout room is large and up to date. The location of this hotel is perfect - close to the highway, but far enough away that it is quiet. Close to downtown Norfolk and downtown Virginia Beach. But the best part of this hotel is the hotel bar and restaurant. GREAT food, great prices, great bar. The value of this hotel is outstanding. The rate for these rooms are much less than I normally pay for rooms and has way more amenities and comfort. Stay here if you have business in the greater Norfolk area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Michelle D, sales assistant at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear SalesmanB,
Thank you for staying with us and for the great review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you got to enjoy some of our amenities. We have recently changed our menu and we are happy to hear that guests are enjoying the new items and prices. We hope that if you are in the area again you will come back and stay with us.
foodcritic
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for several days and was very impressed with the quality of service I received during my stay. When I arrived, I was greeted by a very friendly and welcoming staff. Pauline, Cindy, Cynthia, and all of the employees at the front desk were very helpful and accommodating. On my first night at the hotel I went down stairs to the Bar and was amazed at the friendly service I received from bartender Laurie and Allison. Laurie has a wonderful personality and makes all of the guests feel welcome. She always refers to her quests by their first name and makes them feel important. During my stay I had concern and spoke to front desk manager Nikitha who resolved the issue right away. She truly cares about the guest and making sure that their stay is an enjoyable one. All of the employees, staff, management did a wonderful job. I stayed at many hotels and have never met a group of people as dedicated to providing its guests with the highest level of service to its guests. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling on business or vacation. Its a wonderful place to stay and relax.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Corporatetrainer2,
Thank you for the great review and for staying with us! Our staff works very hard and truly cares about the service they provide to each and every one of our guests, and it is always appreciated when someone mentions them by name in a positive review. We have implemented a recognition program at our hotel and everyone you mentioned will be recognized for the service and the experience they provided. Thank you for recommending us it was a pleasure having you stay.
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Hotel staff and settings are great. Hotel is close enough to the interstate to find, far enough away to be quiet. No tolls on highway or exits. Hotel located halfway between downtown Norfolk and the Beach at Virginia Beach. Easy to head north to Williamsburg, Busch Gardens or south to Chesapeake. Hotel was recently remodeled.

During our convention over 2,000 people spent three days having fun. No issues. Power, temperature and staff where great. Chef worked with us creating memorable meals. Bar created special drinks. Hotel and staff want to please and satisfy reasonable requests. Food is good & reasonably priced. WiFi worked well. Pool was closed while where there Feb 27 to March 2nd.

Room used electronic locks with small fridge, coffee pot and microwave. Would make trash cans larger. Shower is a shower not just a shower head over a tub. Room AC was quiet and smelled fresh.

Additional guidence free access to a room with printer for MapQuest is a large with three computers. Easy to print directions & flight tickets.

Denny's just down the street. Hospital less than one mile. Pembroke area with Cheesecake Factory, Macaroni Grill, Jason's Deli, Krispy Kreme, movie theater, etc two miles down the road or the next exit.

Room Tip: North side faces interstate but could not hear it. Elevators are not near room. Third floor connect...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Allen S,
Thank you for writing about your stay with us. We truly enjoy having groups in as it provides us with an opportunity to really push ourselves to provide great service to a large number of guests. We are happy to hear that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable experience it is always nice hearing what we are doing right. We hope that you will come and stay with us and check out our outdoor pool and bar when they open after Memorial Day. We appreciate your review and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Murray Bridge, Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed there for the USS Frank T Evans reunion in September 2013. I had travelled from Australia and was a bit distressed when I got to the airport as my luggage had been lost somewhere between Australia and the USA. I arrived quite lat at night and I phoned the Hotel. A very lovely lady who was working on the front desk came and picked me up in the shuttle bus. On arrival at the Hotel the staff were just lovely. and very very helpful and concerned for me. A lovely lady on the desk called Cindy Schmidt kitted me out with toiletries and essentials from the store room and Really made me feel welcome.As soon as My luggage arrived at the hotel the staff brought it straight up to my room with big smiles. During my whole stay, (about a week) Cindy and the whole staff made me feel very special. The room was top class and all the service by the conference staff was Excellent. If ever I am lucky enough to go to Virginia Beach again, I would stay there again for sure. Thank yopu all for a first class stay

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Michelle D, sales at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Richard C,
Thank you for writing about your stay with us and your service. We are happy you were able to make it to the reunion all the way from Australia; we truly enjoyed having your group stay with us. We are sorry your luggage was lost but we are happy to hear that our staff made such a positive impact on your stay. Thank you for mentioning Cindy by name, we have implemented a new program that rewards staff members who are positively mentioned in reviews. We will be sure to share you response with Cindy and reward her for her customer service. We hope that you will find your way back to the area and stay with us again. We hope to see you in the future.
Moss Point, Mississippi
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We were here for four days for a maritime school course my husband needed to take, and they had a very good rate negotiated with the school that included a ten dollar a day voucher for any of the restaurant/coffee shop/bars, so he was able to have a good breakfast before he left for school. The room was clean and spacious. The staff was very helpful. Parking is a little tight for a full sized truck, but we were here during the week and there were plenty of parking places available that were very manageable. There was a fridge, microwave and small coffeepot in the room, so I did not need to eat in restaurants while he was in school. We had a room on the 4th floor overlooking the pool, and if I had to find one fault, it would be that there seemed to be an awful lot of cigarette butts in the 'green' area surrounding the pool. All in all, a great visit.

Room Tip: Bring laundry soap if you will be doing laundry-they had a machine, but judging from the layers of t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Derfina,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We greatly appreciate the maritime’s business and take pride in the service we give their students. We are happy to hear he was able to take advantage of his voucher and that you found the amenities in the room sufficient to your needs. We apologize that you found parking difficult at times, but we are happy that it got better during the week. Thank you for letting us know about the cigarette butts, we like to keep our grounds clean and pleasant for our guest. We have notified the housekeeping department about the issue. If you find yourself in the area again we hope that you will come back and stays with us. We hope to see you soon.
Va
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We were here for ROF Con. Fantastic stay! Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Parking was tight but there was event staff available and they were there to make sure patrons staying at the hotel would have a place to park which was absolutely wonderful. I accidentally left my iPad at the front when I checked in and the gentleman at the door placed it behind the desk for safekeeping. I don't think he was actually a hotel employee but was contracted by either the hotel or the con. Room was perfect. All my requests were satisfied including late check out (I am a Priority Club/IHG Rewards member). Room was very comfortable and clean. Housekeeping staff was friendly. Bathroom in queen room was nice and bright. The room itself is a bit dark. Sink in the bathroom is a bit odd and shallow. Lots of counterspace, though. Small open closet with ironing board/iron available next to the bathroom. Free internet was decently quick considering the hotel was completely booked. My husband used the fitness room and he said the treadmill was very good. Nice to have a small fridge and microwave in the room. No safe. The cafe had good coffee. Dinner at Ashley's was pleasant.

A friend of mine stayed later and got caught by the winter storm. The hotel extended the con rate an extra day for him.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Michelle D, sales at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear JediTraveller,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We appreciate the positive feedback, as we take great pride in our customer service and the state of our hotel. Parking was tight that weekend so I am happy to hear that you were able to get a parking spot, and that our efforts were successful. We truly enjoyed having ROFCON , it made for a fun and eventful weekend. I am happy to hear that your IPAD was returned to you. We appreciate your loyalty as an IHG member and hope that you will stay with us again soon.
Best regards,