“Weekend Getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We enjoy staying at the north end of Virginia Beach and loved the end of the boardwalk location! We had a first floor room which was clean and very comfortable! We enjoyed the lounge chairs right outside of the room on a grassy area between the hotel and the boardwalk and the quick access to the beach. The hotel has so many family-friendly features - great pools, movie theater, etc. Roberto provided exceptional customer service throughout our stay!!!! He corrected an error that I made in our reservation and went above and beyond to ensure that we enjoyed our trip. Thank you!

Room Tip: We had a first floor room which was clean and very comfortable! We enjoyed the lounge chairs right...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn North Beach for a 3 day weekend in July. I booked this hotel because of the outdoor pool options and it's proximity to the beach. The Kid's Club and Movie Theater were bonus features of this property.

My husband and I stayed here with our 2 girls (9 months and 2yrs 9 months). We had a great time at the pools and loved the beach. It rained on Saturday, so we visited the Kid's Club and our older daughter had fun doing arts & crafts, playing Dance on the Wii and talking to the resident Turtles. The staff that works at the Kid's Club is also fantastic. We enjoyed dining at the Square Whale for lunch each day, as we could never tire of the beach view. It was also fun eating lunch on their patio, while it rained. So refreshing! Hubby and I had grandma watch the girls one night, so we could dine at the Isle of Capri. The view was stunning up there and the food was delicious.

A few tips:
Ask the Kid's Club for inner tubes for the pool. We bought noodles at the 7-11 across the street and they were $4 each! I could have bought the noodles ahead of time but I paid the price for being lazy.

The parking garage is across the street. Literally, 20 steps across the street. We only used valet when it was raining (it's free anyways).

I thought the front/main pool was icky because of all the sand that was in the water. However, it's right at the main access to the beach, so it suffers that casualty.

Definitely thought this hotel was our best option for VA Beach!

1 Thank Liz S
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Short stay (one night) but got the most out of it.

Best bits: spacious rooms with an amazing view of the sunset and ocean. It was the perfect way to end a long drive, sitting on the balcony drinking wine and watching the horizon. Another plus point, location on the beach, not in the heat of it all but close enough walk to restaurants and shops.

Bits to improve on: Efficiency of check-in staff, we waiting an additional 2 1/2 hours for the room to be ready (we finally checked in at 4pm). Cleanliness of the corridors/hallways. Given that this is a resort and difficult to keep 100% dry, increased cleaning/drying of the hallways would be good (to avoid people slipping too).

Best suited for families with children as there were plenty of activities and pools to keep them occupied.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OccasionalTravelBug
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I used my Priority Club Points to book a 5 nights stay in the middle of July and to be honest, was not expecting a whole lot. A room by the ocean was the goal but my wife and I got a whole lot more than that. We ended up with a room with a partial view to the Atlantic Ocean on the 4th floor.

Service was great, staff was always cheerful, even if they must have been swamped by the number of families around.

Everything was nearby and walking distance, so we parked the car on the Saturday and never used it until our departure.

All in all a little gem in Virginia Beach!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My wife, our 2 kids ages 7 and 5 and I just returned from a 5 night stay at Holiday Inn and Suites North Beach. We were very excited to arrive on the 15th of July 2012. The hotel is in fine shape and fairly clean with a staff that tries their best but are obviously untrained and unsupervised. I wouldnt blame them managements failure to train them. We stayed in the building connected to the main hotel by a hallway. Not what I requested, but it turned out to be a better option. The short walk to the pools are very short and not a bother. Our suite was fine if not dated and dingy, not dirty. The balcony was wonderful, full ocean front view. Worth every penny. The only problem we had with the suite is that they seemed to never vacuum after we checked in. They'd resupply and make the beds, but thats it. Sand and whatnot was left all over the carpet. Weird. The elevators in this part of the hotel are awful, very small, SLOW and always broken/not working. Ask for a lower floor and just take the stairs. The pools and water "park" type pool are very fun. They are salt water pools and not chlorine. Upon arriving home, all 4 of us had bad ear infections (swimmers ear). Not sure if it's because theres no chlorine or because we spent 15 hours a day in pools filled with kids. Of the restaurants we ate at 2 of the three. The Greenery is wonderful with wonderful staff and well worth the cost. It is a shame that it isnt open for other meals. The Square Whale is TERRIBLE and staffed by dolts mostly. They appear to only hire high school or college kids and they, again, receive no training. Every single meal from the kids meals to the adults meals were wrong. Either a completely different menu item, sides missing or not cooked how we ordered the item. The service is slow...and I mean slow. You can go 30 minutes without seeing your server no matter if the place is packed or its just you. The food quality is terrible as well, like old school cafeteria food...expensive to boot. The beer, all of it, is room temperature, yet they will tell you it is fine. When I asked them for a cold beer, they took my bottle of Bud Light, stuck a napkin in the opening and stuck it on ice, only to return it to me a half hour later. I could tell you a hundred other problems with it, what a dive, Stay away from eating at the Square Whale.
In general, the hotel is fine. You'll enjoy yourself and your kids will more than likely love it. There's an odd mix of families and rougher younger party people, which was a little odd, but never too much to deal with. Just unusual mix of folks. There isnt much around the hotel for close dining options, but just walk down the boardwalk to another hotel. We did that and found several nice places.
We'll go back for sure and now that we know the ropes we'll make it perfect.

Room Tip: This hotel will not take any reuests for room location. I reserved over 2 months in advance and wasn...
2 Thank Bill A
Vienna, VA
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Recently stayed at this property with my husband and two young children (6 and under). It is a fantastic location and property for families - and even with my complaints, still 4 stars from us. The hotel is located at the very end of the resort area which keeps it extremely quiet and family-oriented. We stayed in a queen suite which had a small "kitchen", sitting area and second balcony - which was ideal for us to relax while the kids konked out after a long day at the beach and pool. The rooms are a great size and recently updated. The only complaint I had was the cleanliness. Given the amount we paid (almost $400!) I was disgusted to see stained sheets on both beds - and unfortunately recently badly stained - and not just normal wear and tear. I find it impossible to believe the staff did not see the bright stains when making up the beds. There was also an enormous amount of sand and dust everywhere. Again, expected at a beach property - but not to this extent. I spoke to the front desk who were very courteous and apologetic and immediately ordered a full-service cleaning. It was much better - still not perfect - but acceptable. Speaking of the staff - they truly made the hotel. Everyone greeted us with a smile and went out of their way to be helpful and attentive. Given that most seemed to be college aged, we were impressed at their level of professionalism and service. The facilities at this hotel are great for kids. There is a kids camp which had activities all day, a movie theater that shows movies all day, and of course the lazy river indoor and outdoor pools which the kids loved. Also great that the kids eat free everywhere and the food was generally very good in both the breakfast and poolside resteraunts - as well as moderately priced. There is a 7-11 directly across the street which was super convenient. The only thing missing in the local area seemed to be a decent place for coffee! The other complaint I had which went unanswered was that the back of the door clearly states that the maximum room rate was $369 which was definitely less than we paid. I asked two people at the front desk who said they would research but did not have a good answer and said the signs must have been outdated. If I had more time at check-out would have stuck to making them give me the stated max room rate - and probably should have. Regardless, would absolutely recommend this hotel for families - something for all ages.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor which had great views. The hotel could use more elevators as they were all...
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Location on beach and fun indoor & outdoor pools make this hotel great for families. Otherwise I would rate it as average.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family