“weekend getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
“weekend getaway”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I wanted a great getaway for myself,my son and parents and we chose this Hotel. It has so much to do for everyone involved just in the motel.We watched a movie in the theater,hunted for turtles,played in the splash camp, ate in two of the restaurants and swam in the indoor pool which is a lazy river pool. Every staff working there always wore a smile and always greeted you.The rooms were spacious and very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The motel is just minutes from The Aquarium and many other fun things for the family to do. I and my family are planning a return visit. A special shout out goes to Asia, the motel is blessed to have you as an employee my family,myself and especially my son appreciate your kindness.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is beautiful saw lots of dolphins
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank virna c
Michael G, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. It was a pleasure hosting you for a weekend in Spring and look forward to seeing your family again here in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
USA
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here March 16 for one night. The staff at the front desk were great, always had a smile and always willing to help.
We requested an oceanfront room on a high floor away from the elevator - we had room 707 and were not disappointed. The room was nice, clean with a balcony, couch, bed and bathroom. The décor was pleasant.
We did not eat dinner at the restaurants in the hotel but we did go to The Square Whale for a glass of wine before going out to dinner. This is a nice oceanfront spot and the bartender is friendly and will gladly make suggestions for dining out.
The hotel opened up the breakfast buffet in The Greenery an hour earlier than normal due to the majority of the guests staying at the hotel running a 7am race. I went there to get a cup of coffee and a banana. The woman charged me for the coffee but not the banana and I was grateful, I didn't need to eat at the buffet before a 13.1 mile race!
Upon returning to the hotel room after the race around 10:20am, I let the front desk know that we would do our best to check out by 11am and the woman at the front desk smiled and said that she understood if I wasn't out by 11am. That was a relief since I requested a late check out when we check in the day before and I was denied the request.
Overall I would stay here again. The property has a great location, the staff are friendly, and the grounds are beautiful. I stayed here 15 years ago when it was the Holiday Inn and Sunspree Resort - the updated version is much nice than what I remember from 15 years ago.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is great but a pool view room will also have views of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Crizo1
Michael G, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you for writing a review about our hotel. We strive to provide excellent service and a clean room and reading your comments I feel we have succeeded. I hope that our hotel will be your hotel of choice when you travel to the Virginia Beach area. Thank you again and look forward to your next visit.
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Me and my family stayed here Shamrock weekend and we are so glad we had. I normally don't write reviews but this stay was outstanding. It starts with the Front Desk and every time I walked by they said hi and looked at me with a geniune smile. I would walk out of my room and houskeeping has a smile and greeted me and all over staff were so friendly.
The room was spotless and looked brand new. They have 3 pools but we used the indoor pool and hot tub only due to how cold it was. My kids wanted to jump into the outdoor pool but I talked them out of it. I ate one day at the Square Whale which is a cool little oceanfront cafe and bar. They were short staff but worked hard to make sure I had a enjoyable meal. Dave knows how to make a killer long island ice tea, thanks Dave.
I can go on and on but it was such a great time and I will be back this summer and we all cant wait. For the kids they have a movie theater and a kids rooms with fun activities. My kids are in their teens so they enjoyed the movies but were a little to old for the kids room.

Thank you Holiday Inn for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank john s
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. It has been a pleasure having you here and I will pass on to the entire team all the positives that you stated. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

This is the third year we've stayed at this hotel and it just gets better and better! We come down to visit family and even though we could stay with them I enjoy staying at this hotel because there are so many activities for my two little ones. They remember the turtles in the splash camp now and get so excited to visit them hah!

This is our first time visiting in the spring and I was a little worried that it wouldn't be as fun as this hotel is during the summer but the place was busy and the staff was still so friendly. We had a great time. Just wish it was a little warmer outside!

If you are looking to stay on the oceanfront definitely check this hotel out. It's always clean and the staff is amazing. During the summer it's not as crowded on the beach and there is so much for the kids to do (we love the little movie theater). We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Emmathomas14
Thank you for writing a review about your experience at our hotel. I am glad to see that your stay was a charm. It is nice to see our returning guests and look forward to seeing you again the next time your are in Virginia Beach.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The prices are high so you imagine you're getting something more than average. This is not the case here.

PROS:
The staff is friendly.
The rooms are clean.
The amenities are nice; pools, gym-tiny, but available, restaurants on site.

Isle of Capri Restaurant was excellent. {{ I would rather pay the high prices here and know it's good, than return to the Square Whale, where our party spent a mere $25 less and were simply ticked off with the whole experience. }} Our service was prompt and courteous. The food melts in your mouth. And the entire place is spotless, not to mention it looks out over the ocean.

CONS:
The Square Whale is a JOKE! A table of 4 adults and 2 children, we were there for almost 2 hours (not by choice). It wasn't very busy, our server was SLOW, the food was even slower... One diner commented he was pretty sure his steak sandwich was made with pork. We ordered 3 adults drinks that had a splash of alcohol. We don't really drink so we should have noticed more flavor or effect...And it was all way overpriced, and cheap quality bar food.

The decor in the public areas is outdated and cheaply done.

Our party stayed in 2 separate rooms/wings. The other couple encountered a roach in their room and when they called the service desk to ask someone to clean up, they were told help was on the way. After well over an hour, they had to walk down and basically drag an employee to their room for service. At no point were they offered another room or even sincere dismay at having roaches. The house cleaner even had the nerve to suggest the guest brought the bugs in!! This is completely outrageous. It is a hotel on the beach, bugs happen. Don't blame your guests, get on fixing it!

The central pool, near the lobby and Square Whale isn't as well kept as the other 2 pools, there were plenty of places to scratch yourself on chipped tiles and (you guess it?) roaches in the water every morning and night.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lbshutes
I am sorry your stay was not above expectations and I take your advice and will make sure that it is reviewed at our staff meeting. Thank you and have a great day!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had to travel to the area for a family event in Norfolk, and decided that even if it was a short drive to get back and forth to Norfolk, we wanted to be somewhere with a great ocean view, so we got a 2Q suite.

On the second floor, there was the slight annoyance that the tops of the palm trees were right outside our balcony so if you were sitting on the couch, or laying in the bed, the palm fronds blocked your view of the ocean.

Also, the towels in the shower felt like they had used sandpaper as their fabric softener. I think by drying off from the shower I also exfoliated quite a bit.

But those minor annoyances aside, it was very clean, had just been refinished/remodeled it seemed, and was exactly what we're looking for. On the northern end of Atlantic Ave, it's not as walkable to all of the "touristy stuff", but that makes for a much quieter location without roving gangs of youths on Friday and Saturday evenings. :)

Room Tip: Try to get something on the 3rd floor or higher if you want to really enjoy your view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Derek B
Michael G, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank your for writing a review about our hotel and your stay. I am glad to see that your time at our hotel was enjoyable and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Your feedback in invaluable to our success and appreciate it.
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel in a well equipped ocean front suite. i had asked for a top floor but was told those rooms were under renovation and in some cases the hot water would take very long (about 20 minutes) to heat up. We also didn't learn that the renovations would cause us to have to downgrade the room we booked until the time we arrived for check-in.

I was originally scheduled to stay for 4 nights but I didn't know the circus clowns were coming to stay in the same hotel on the very same floor as I did. Well, I don't mean to insult the circus clowns but for lack of a better analogy, these people were terrible patrons. They were loud and obnoxious. I called and complained to the front desk and they said they would see if they could move them. The next morning they were still there and still loud. For over $140 a night I expect more. I ended up checking out and booking a room at the Oceanaire; I'm relaxing here as I type this review (extreme quality and great service so far).

Negatives-
1. noisy, unruly people.
2. windows were filthy.
3. service average (One person to answer phones and to service customers)
4. cafe closed for renovation
5. unsightly stains on furniture

Positives-
1. They gave us a 10% discount for our dissatisfaction.
2. They tried to deal with the circus that had landed on my floor after I complained.
3. Friendly service, but seemed overwhelmed.

Room Tip: Suites are spacious
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank derrick w
Thank you for writing a review about our property. I want to apologize that your stay was not up to your standards and appreciate you making us aware. Our hotel does host several groups and at times they can get louder then we would like. When that happens we will make sure to address it immediately and quiet the situation.

The Oceanaire is a time share resort that sells hotel rooms and I am happy that you were able to enjoy the rest of your vacations. Thank you for all your feedback, I will make sure to address your concerns.