“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Overall a wonderful experience ... my kids want to come back soon. Very family-friendly place - lots of kids, yet the rooms are pretty soundproofed so it was not a problem!!! Yes, as other reviewers have mentioned the elevators are slow and the hallways are warm, but the newly renovated rooms are very nice. Since the 2nd outdoor pool was under construction the only outdoor pool was very crowded during the day, but we didn't come to a hotel on the beach to sit by the pool!!! My younger son (8 yrs) loved the indoor pool (lazy river). Great view from room of the beach - enjoyed sitting on the balcony. Wonderful staff in the restaurants and at desk. Buffet breakfast was good and we did takeout one night from the Italian restaurant since we didn't meet the dress code (they are serious about that!!). Food was moderately priced and tasty.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Virginia
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Don't believe the negative reviews. This hotel isn't perfect, but it's definitely not worthy of a bad review! My family, which includes a tween and teen, stayed at the SunSpree from 07/07-07/10, and had a great time! The moment we drove in, we were greeted, and told where we could park temporarily & where to go to check in. Very friendly, smiling, young girl (VT Grad Student) greeted us. Michael checked us in, early (3pm), and even asked which floor we preferred. My 14-y/o son picked the highest one offered (5). By the time I had checked in, the young lady had helped my husband load a luggage cart with our stuff, and we were off to our room, while my husband parked across the street in the garage (valet was offered). I had read that the North Tower was newly renovated, so when the girl told me we were going to the South Tower, I was worried. I was a bit anxious from reading some of the negative reviews on here. She informed me that the North Tower was opened in March, but the South Tower was just completed a week ago, and we would only be the 2nd or 3rd people to stay in our room! Yeah!!

We went up in the elevator (VERY hot and slow - that part of the negative comments was true), and into our room. The way our room was situated was - you open the door, and you are in the living room. There's a pull-out couch (loveseat) and two chairs, 2 end tables with a lamp on each, a long TV table, a flat screen TV, and against the wall was a closet, the microwave, mini-fridge, and counter. The decor was very beach-y. Turquoise and green, sprial lamps - kids loved it. Nice pictures on the walls. The middle section is a vanity on one side, and the bathroom on the other. The bathroom consists of a toilet and shower (no tub - which we didn't care about, but if you have little ones, that might be a big deal). The doors of the bathroom....I don't know how many times my husband commented on them.....they are ill-designed for sure. They are like two half-doors.....heavy....metal.....must shut one side first, then the other....push on the one side to get it to release to open.....very odd. You wake the whole room up if you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Not sure what they were thinking when they put those doors in. The next "room" is the bedroom. We had two double beds, a large dresser, flat screen TV, desk, chair (turquoise and green pleather - again, very cool and beach-y). The beds were very comfortable. We had LOTS of pillows.....for the first time ever, I didn't use all the pillows! We slept very well (which is saying a lot for me - I have back problems, and a good night's sleep is hard to come by!). The A/C is kind of loud, and ran continually because of how doggone hot it was outside, but that was no big deal. It kept our room cool! It does, however, produce TONS of heat outside, and the vent is on the balcony - you couldn't sit near it for too long. The curtains were nice, and carried along that beach-y theme we enjoyed. The slider worked great, and the balcony had 2 chairs on it. My husband is a firefighter, and wasn't thrilled about the PVC pipe balcony "railing", but I felt it was sturdy, and didn't worry about the kids being out there at all. Great ocean view, overlooking the boardwalk.

The outdoor pool is large and clean. Go out early if you want a lounger or a chair. They play music at the pool-side bar (we didn't order anything, so I can't comment on that), and it was appropriate and at a good volume. We really enjoyed the pool a lot. I kept thinking there must be another outdoor pool, because the picture on the websites show a large walkway over the pool. I finally asked two boys who worked there. They were opening the door for guests, and handing out towels. They were so extremely friendly, and I wish I could remember both their names, but one boy was Domenic. They were hilarious, and really made me want to commend management for hiring such good, quality young people. Anyway, they told us that they had to take out the walkway because people were jumping off of it, into the pool. What a shame......it looked so nice!! But.....I can see people doing that. I saw my 14-y/o perk up.....he would totally do that if it were allowed! Ha ha! So, for safety sake, the walkway is gone. Still, it's a great pool, and is 3-5 feet deep.

We went to the lazy river twice, for a short amount of time each visit. It's kind of stuffy in there, but fun, especially for younger children. Directly outside of this, they were working on the splash pool and two water slides (straight tubes). This will be great fun when it's done, especially for younger kids.

We checked out the movie theater. G-rated movies playing at different times up until the last showing at 6pm. We did not go in, but would have if it had rained, or if they played movies later at night.

The Kid's club was a big room with plenty of things to do. There was a young lady and young man working in there, and they were great with the kids. Our youngest is 11, and didn't stay in there, but I would feel completely comfortable leaving my kids with the workers in there. They seemed to really like the kids. It wasn't loud and chaotic. We loved the turtle!!! We would stop by every day to see it! We were always welcomed in to do so. Nice place for kids.....and to give mom & dad a little break!

Beach access was great. This was our first time to VA Beach, and I have to say, it's my favorite of all the East Coast beaches we have visited!! The boardwalk is beautiful, and well-maintained. The sand is clean. I didn't see any trash at all! There aren't a bunch of rocks and shells to tear up your feet while you're in the water. I was sincerely impressed with this beach, and we will DEFINITELY be back. Forget OBX & Myrtle!

The first day we were there, there was a maintenance man working on one of the shower heads when you are coming in from the ocean. It worked perfectly throughout the rest of our stay. He was very friendly.

We were always spoken to by employees. "Hello." "Are you guys enjoying your stay?" "Where are you from?" Just general questions that shows they care about customer satisfaction.

We rode down in the elevator with a young man (employee). I believe his name was Jay. After we got out, he leaned over and picked up some little pieces of paper that were on the elevator floor. He didn't do that in front of us, for us to notice.....he just saw that something needed to be done, and he did it. I don't believe that was his "job", but he took care of it. Those kinds of things are important to us. It showed character.

We had free wifi internet access in our 5th floor room, with no interruptions.

My husband worked out in the exercise room. You can exercise while you watch individual TVs on the equipment. Very nice. Small. Serves it's purpose well. Who wants to exercise while on vacation anyway? I got enough exercise fighting the waves on the one day there was a red flag warning up, and pedaling that doggone surry!!

We didn't eat at the hotel - mostly because of the reviews - but plenty of people were eating there, and it looked good. Clean.

We would DEFINITELY recommend Doc Taylor's for breakfast ($27 for 4 of us), Pocohantas Pancakes ($52 for breakfast for 4), and No Frills Diner ($42 for dinner for 4 with appetizer).

We rented a surry (bicycle for 4 <or more>) on the boardwalk ($20). It about killed us. It's hard work. Just be prepared. The next night, we rented four single bikes, and had a great time ($24). We biked the whole boardwalk (almost 6 miles total). There are coupons for these in the little booklets.

We stayed entertained the whole stay, just at the hotel and on the boardwalk. There's a pier to walk on (with shops) ($2 per person), music playing (live bands/singers), one night we watched a woman with a flaming hula hoop!), illusionists, a "play", a HUGE inflatable waterslide ($3 a slide or $20 for unlimited), carnival-type rides, statues, things to climb on, photo ops, bike/skate rental, playground, Coast Guard museum (tour - hubby did that <$4 I think> & said it was really neat).

The SunSpree is on 39th St. The north end of the boardwalk starts at 40th, so you'll be right there at the quiet end. It's busy & louder the further south you go. If you like quiet, you'll want the north end. PLENTY of things to do & stay entertained and busy. Never one complaint from kids about being bored!!

We had an excellent vacation.

I would recommend this hotel, for sure.

Saying that, I will give a few of the complaints, in a quick summary, because that's what I know people want to know for sure, and maybe the management can do something about these problems, which seems to be pretty consistent from other honest reviews:

The elevators are REALLY hot, and move extremely slowly. I'm not sure anything can be done about that. There are only 6 floors to the hotel, so you won't die....but it's uncomfortable.

The bathroom doors in the rooms.......not good.

There NEEDS to be a door that will offer some privacy in the suites, when a family is staying together. There are two places where a door could go - either when exiting the living room, or when entering the bedroom.

On the morning of checkout, someone from the maid service knocked on our door around 9am (we stayed up late, and were sleeping in). It may have been a bit earlier. Our daughter was sleeping on the pull-out in the living room, and woke up, but didn't answer it. They tried to enter, but we had the inside lock on. About 30 minutes later, they knocked again, & tried to come in. I told her to answer it. They wanted to know (in very limited English) if we would be checking out today. She told them yes, and they wanted to know what time we would be leaving. I went and told the person we would be leaving at 11....at checkout time. We got ready. At 10:40, there was another knock on the door. Again, we were asked what time we would be leaving. Sheesh!!!! I told the woman we were almost ready, and would be out as soon as possible. We sent our son down to get a luggage cart. There were none. They put our name on a waiting list, and called our room at about 11:05 and brought a cart up (the same friendly VT grad student from check-in). I'm sure they were just trying to get our room ready for the next family, being that it was Saturday, but good grief.....they woke us up.....and came back again to make sure!!

But even with those few problems.....I would still recommend this hotel!

Oh....and if you are Priority Club members, you get 4 fresh (delicious) cookies on check-in, as well as a card you can redeem for a free snack and free drink at their sundry area.

Overall great vacation. :)

1 Thank NursyOnVacation
Limerick,PA
Reviewed 10 July 2010

My family and I (wife, 6 and 3 year old daughters)just returned from our four day, three night stay and we couldn't be happier. The Sunspree has the best pool on the strip and offers many things for the kids and adults to do. Don't be hesitant when you read any negative reviews. Our experience was top notch from finish to start. Easy access to all Va. Beach has to offer. When the new pool is finished it will even be better. Plenty for the kids to do and the construction will not affect you at all. It is in the front of the hotel near the street and they are just finishing up the the new splash pool with water slides. Stay here if you want to have the best Va. Beach has to offer. Don't hesitate book today.

Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We recently stayed on this hotel in early July. Hotel is completely remodeled and shows very well. Front staff were cordial and helpful. My two boys (under 11) thoroghly enjoyed their lazy river indoor pool (they have outdoor reg. pool too) , as well as playing on the kids' club Wi. The hotel is located at the north end of the beach, so you will need to walk to get to center of beach area, but Virginia Beach board walk area is well maintained and beautiful to walk. The room we stayed in was small but comfortable with mini fridge and mircorwave to heat up restaurant leftovers. Only complaint was the bathroom door...it was actually two heavy metal-like doors that were a bit strange to see in a hotel room. Hotel restaurant food was good...when we were there kids ate free with paying adult.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2010

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree in early July '10. We were very disappointed. Having gone to Virginia Beach yearly for the last 10+ years, we have considerable experience with the better hotels along the strip.
While the suite was spacious and clean, it was, like most hotel rooms, ill-designed. Those were the positives.
Our major concerns were the lack of a hot tub and no internet access in the room. Again, one could forgive them for renovating, but it was haphazard, disjointed, and bothersome. Waiting for construction workers to get in the already cramped, un-air-conditioned elevators was more than just inconvenient. There was little apology, and several of the staff members were snippy. While I was able to pick up the wi-fi in the lobby, there was no signal in a 4th floor room. Very frustrating. How could they not have accounted for transmission distance, and has no one else complained?
Sure, we are particular, but at $335 dollars a night, it was well short of certain standards that we expect at that price. We have had fairly good luck with Holiday Inns in the past, but we really do question the management of the Sunspree.

4 Thank JoeChristmas