“Would go back in a Heartbeat!!!”

Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Would go back in a Heartbeat!!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2010

My 4 kids and I stayed there for 5 nights.. The kids LOVED it.. From Tonka the turtle in Kids Club to the 4 movies a day in the movie theater to the LAZY river... It was GREAT!!!
The other renovations werent open and it was the 15th but there was still a ton to do!!!
LOVED it..
Rooms were very clean...and the staff were ALL sooo accomodating.. The kids club and the staff were EXCELLENT... My 4 kids ages 6,7,8,and 10 pre-ferred going there and staying because of all the planned activities.....They wanted that over the beach...pools...OR lazy river... It was crazy..
We have been to Atlantis...Beaches Resorts...and Spas and kids club by far THE BEST and plenty kid friendly safe things to do!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Hotel is terrible, false advertising applies!! water park not even close to being done, I was told it would be done on 07/14/2010. Promised a room for early arrival. Hotel manager stated they were not required to have a room ready until 7 yrs later and suggested that we should have checked with the web site for updates instead of calling the hotel direct, No customer service, WE MOVED TO THE CAVALIER HOTEL. VERY NICE AND COST ALOT LESS,

4 Thank GRANDPA02
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I booked a room over a month ago with the plans that the "NEW" onsite water park would be completed by the 14th of July. I called several times to confirm that the construction of the water park would be done. PLEASE NOTE; It's not even close to being done. My room was suppose to be ready for early arrival. "NOT EVEN CLOSE" Hotel manager told be theyhad until 4:00 (7 hrs) to have a room ready. She was very rude and cold. I explained that we were told that the construction and room would be ready when we arrived on the 17th. AGAIN THE RUDENESS!! I finally told her that we would not stay there because of the way we were being treated and then I was told, "YOU WILL LOSE YOU FIRST NIGHT DEPOSIT" I still refused to let my family stay there. We went to the CAVALIER Hotel. People... this is 10 times nicer and cost less. Rooms were bigger, and cost over $50.00 less a night. 'DON'T TAKE YOUR FAMILY TO THE HOLIDAY IN BEFORE LOOKING INTO THE CAVALIER HOTEL"

3 Thank GRANDPA02
Reviewed 24 July 2010

A perfect stay. Immaculately clean which is very important to me and nice and quiet night (also important with young children trying to sleep). The food at the restaurant was delicious. We ate poolside, oceanside and on our balcony. The staff was wonderful, especially Aaron and Kat and we recommend the hotel highly. A bit pricey, but worth it.

ohio
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Was told the new slides would open on July 15th by the managers of the hotels(two different people). Thus figured it was worth the extra money as although we love the beach, my kids also enjoy pools. Well, the new pool/water slide area is no where near to be done. Left on the 20th and they still have much cementing to do, there is no water in it, ect...I would be surprised if it makes it open by Labor Day. Be honest people, instead you just made us very mad that we spent the extra money for something that was part of the reason we picked your hotel to begin with.

4 Thank scootch713
Reviewed 21 July 2010

This certainly wasn’t as nice as I expected for $250 a night. But there were pros and cons.

The room was a decent size, with a nice flat screen TV, a good-sized fridge, and a microwave. But the bathroom was tiny, and it didn’t even have a bathtub, only a shower. To make the small space even more suffocating, the doors to the bathroom opened INWARD. It was nice having a balcony to sit on and look at the ocean and talk after our kids went to sleep. Unfortunately, our “ocean view” also included a view of the pool. (I was expecting something directly overlooking the ocean.)

The resort is right on the beach, so you do not have to drive, park, and get sand in your car. It’s at the quieter north end, so it’s less crowded and less cheesy, but that also means a LONG walk to the Boardwalk action, which the kids couldn’t handle. In the future, I’d get a hotel closer in to the action, even if it means it’s a little more crowded on the beach area. I see one of the advantages of getting a hotel right on the beach as being not having to drive to get where you want to go; but there’s just not a whole lot within EASY walking distance of the hotel – fine if it were just us, but not fine with the little ones.

The kids loved the indoor, heated lazy river. The outdoor pool was a decent size, and it was nice to have a bar poolside. The drinks and food were decent (not exceptional). It was nice to have indoor/outdoor swimming options, and it looks like they are expanding the lazy river outside as well and adding waterslides. Too bad we missed out on that. On the downside, the pools were pretty sandy, despite available showers for hosing off before entering the pool (these should have been placed closer to the pool; you still have to walk through a bit of sand after showering to get to the pools from the beach). The kids’ eyes really stung with chemicals by the time we were done – the hotel might have been heavy handed on the chlorine.

The Splash Camp was a HUGE bonus for us as parents with young kids. We were able to have some time to ourselves in the morning while the kids did supervised activities (games, crafts, and popping into the 50 seat movie theater in the hotel, which shows older kids/family films) and also able to have dinner to ourselves at the hotel Italian Restaurant. The kids seemed to really enjoy their time in the kids camp. You can check the kids (ages 4-12) in and out all day from 9:30-8 and enjoy time to yourselves for no additional fee. (I’m not sure if there’s a limit on how long you can have them in. Ours were in for 3-4 hours.) At least one parent has to stay on the property (pools, restauraunts, room, etc.) at all times.

The onsite Italian restaurant, though pricey, was fairly good eats; they did have a couple of buckets out to catch rain leaking from the ceiling, however. Not what one expects from a place so upscale.

The layout of the hotel was poor. It was hard to get around easily. The elevator we used (because it was closest to our room) looked like it had not been updated since 1970. The buttons didn’t even light up. It was tiny, the door had a dent it, and the doors closed quickly, so you better run on. Sometimes it was pretty slow in arriving too. The hotel carpet also looked like it hadn’t been updated since 1970.

The hotel staff was courteous.

1 Thank Motherontheroad
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We booked this hotel and called 4 days before arrival to let them know our plans had changed and that I would cancel and rebook at a later date... they ensured me that they would work around my changes and accommodate me. As the week progressed I called another time to provide an update to our schedule and they accommodated the change... I called a few days later to let them know due to circumstances I first described to them on Sunday, we would now not be able to make the trip.. they in turn, informed me they were keeping the $400 they took from me to hold the reservation. If they would have just said on Sunday that they would be doing this or not stated they would work with my schedule, things would have been fine, instead, they chose to lie about their flexability and willing to work around a schedule I informed them may not allow for our visit. The reservation agent as well as the manager were extremely rude on the phone and did not care at all about the promise that was made earlier in the week. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

4 Thank blineman