“Not bad!”

Ranked #90 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
San Rafael
“Not bad!”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We typically check Tripadvisor for reviews before staying or eating at new locations. This is probably one time I'm glad we didn't read the reviews. Am surprised by all the negative reviews. We stayed at 3 motel/hotels and a B and B on our vacation in May. While the B and B was tops (and also most expensive), our Motel 6 experience was much better (cleaner) than the more expensive Wyndham Hotel on Virginia Beach and 60's era motel in Buxton. It was also one of the few motels that were reasonably priced-- we payed $49.99/weeknight.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Two_from_San_Rafael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
virginia beach
Reviewed 2 January 2012

First of all staff is very rude! Housekeepers well you almost have to beg to get them to come in. All they do is drop towels and leave. I overheard two days of maintenance men arguing with housekeepers. Watched maintenance giving rooms for free late at nite and watched hookers everyday working in the hotel. There was a man selling drugs downstairs that seems to be a permanent fixture at the location. Thought it was owned by Marriott still...Needless to say the best thing there is the pool. Managers answer to any complaint is if you dont like it then you can leave! BTW without your money... TERRIBLE

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank pookiebear1970
Mountain City, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This is about ten miles from the ocean. The rate was 39.99 per night on the weeknights that I stayed there. I found my room to be clean and in order. Certainly not fancy but neat enough for one to rest and be comfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I really didn't take my time to do a research about hotel prices for that weekend and later found out that we could have stayed at some places for the same price, closer to the beach.

Negatives:

- Not very clean (the cleaning people didn't do a good job at all, cleaning the toilet, shower, floor, etc.) The shower curtain was so moldy from the inside, that I never closed it (yuck).

- Stuff was broken - the phone in the room didn't work. Only one table lamp had a light bulb (out of 3). AC didn't work properly and was so loud that I had problems sleeping.

- Ice Machine never had ice

- Simple requests were ignored (our toilet would not flush correctly and even that we asked for someone to come to fix it, nobody ever came in our 5 days at the motel).

- Staff at the Reception desk are rude and not helpful

- Towels are smelly and very very small (but OK, it's not really a 5 Star Hotel)

- Lots of noise

- The advertise with "We have WiFi" - it's available, but for an extra charge

Positive:

- Check-Out is at 11am (not too early)

- Coffee Machine at the Reception Desk (with fresh coffee)

- Good connection to main roads

- Spacious room

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I'll stick to the facts, which speak for themselves: my wife and I checked in and were able to get our reserved room without any delay. We reserved a room and asked for one at the front desk; we were assured we got a non-smoking room. When we entered the room, we smelled smoke (there was also an smoke-smell in the hallway, 3rd floor). We called the desk and the person there (a guy with a baseball hat, Taylor?) said he would spray the room. We commented that we wanted a smoke-free room and he said he didn't have one and was not able to prevent people from smoking (his words). We went to dinner/the beach and he never sprayed. Came back to discover ashes in the ash-tray (why there was one in a non-smoking room is beyond me) and a cigarette butt on the bathroom floor. Called front-desk, told we could change our room the next night. Got new room. Found urine on the toilet seat and used/open soap bars in the bathroom. We called and Taylor came and cleaned the bathroom. He was visibly annoyed and cursing. Went out, came back, went to bed. Next morning found that someone had walked on top of my car and dented roof. Although I can't prove it, the shoe marks were similar to Taylor's. We checked out. Only positive was that we got one night free. The grounds are littered with garbage and cigarette butts. This is a disgusting place and will never go back.

Room Tip: How to get the best room? Don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A T
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Great motel for an inexpensive vacation getaway. Yes, its true that this motel has a smell, that the carpet is nasty and that the furniture is a bit dated but its a good hotel for a weekend getaway. Im currently staying at the motel and its serving its purpose to the fullest[to give me a place to lay at night]. The motel is right off the highway and not to far from the oceanfront. Based on reviews that Ive read, Im guessing that I lucked up on a decent room but Im happy with my decision to stay even though I have read a few bad reviews.

As long as you have some febreeze and socks EVERYTHING IS FINE.

• Stayed August 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 July 2011

lowest price around with a great location, i mean the vicinity of the town center not the highway but I also needed easy access to the highway, so it worked for me. The room itself looked nice at first, after a while it smells horrible. They say it offers wifi, but when i paid the 2.99 i barely was able to surf the web.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business