“Far and Lonely”

“Far and Lonely”
Reviewed 19 August 2005

My husband, two small children and I stayed at the Fairfield Inn
from August 13th-15th. We used our Marriott reward points for
two free nights. If I had paid for this stay, I would have been very disappointed. Its not the place, for it was average. The problem
is its 10 miles from the ocean. This is a drag when you add in finding parking, bathrooms and driving home all sandy instead of a quick run
up to your room. The Inn is located on exit 17B which is in Pembrooke.
We drove around the area and its the local business area. Lots of restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, PF Chengs, etc...nearby (not walking distance). There was even a mall. We were trying to escape to the beach, it felt like being at home in Northern VA. There is nothing close to the motel by foot so its lonely. You will need a car to get anywhere. When we went
to the beach we parked at the Hilton on 33rd street ($7 all day parking and $5 from 5pm-5am). This was a good deal and we could use their bathrooms, but if you leave the parking lot to go shower at your place you have to pay again. We got tired of driving back and forth so we checked out
Mount Trashmore near the hotel one night. It has a nice playground for the kids, skate boarding park and a big hill for flying kites. I found out it was a landfill. They covered it after it filled up and made a beautiful park. Now the
name makes since. Its a good alternative for something to do.
The Inn had a great breakfast (cereal, wafles, eggs, bagels, muffins, yogurt and french toast). No place to eat with only three tables available, so we got a table by the pool. The room was a good size and on the inside of the hotel with the double security. It did have a musty smell and in need of some major decor. I would not stay again due to the distance. When I go to the beach, I want to see a beach or at least be in walking distance, not far and lonely. Have fun!

• Stayed August 2004
5 Thank dyncor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Virginia
Reviewed 13 July 2005

We (myself 41, a girlfriend 43 and our sons 8 & 11) stayed at the Fairfield Inn the week following the 4th of July. Considering the prices of oceanfront rooms in the VA Beach area ($179+) we decided for the right price we would stay off the beach. If you pay more than $69 a night for this hotel, you probably will be disappointed. It is an older property, they are doing some painting right now. The rooms smelled musty, bedspreads dark and in need of replacement, carpet stained. The pool was a decent size and fairly clean, however the patio tables were never cleaned the entire time we were there.

Housekeeping was terrible, servicing our room only once in three days. Interesting, we sat at the pool all day, witnessed most of the housekeepers on "smoke breaks" at the laundry room door near the pool, about every 30 minutes. At 5pm, when I walked back to my room and it had not been serviced, I walked to the laundry room to ask for some bath towels, and the housekeeper said "I have not had time to get to your room today!"......I wanted to say, "Well if you had not taken time out to smoke a pack of cigarettes the past four hours you might have!!!!"......the pool towels were never completely stocked, they would bring 3-4 at a time and put in bin.

The front desk staff, although very very nice - they had at least one foreign staff member. Her English was okay, but she knew nothing about the area. When I inquired about Waterside in Norfolk, she was clueless. HELLO, you are in the travel industry! One day the employee who services the breakfast room did not show, so the only Front Desk person working, was trying to do both jobs. It was pretty bad.

The breakfast choices were decent for a Fairfield, the breakfast room was just poorly serviced, even the days the employee showed up.

I requested a refrigerator at check-in (which are based on availability they say), at check-in they told me they had two and someone would bring it to our room, they never showed, I went back to front desk and then they said they had no refrigerators, when I had been standing there and a maintanence employee had just said he had removed two from rooms at check-out. ANYWAY, I did not get my refrigerator until 5pm the next day, and only after hounding them. Really, the micro-refrigerators should be standard in all Marriott properties.

I did hear the GM was new - and one day he looked pretty beat, so maybe the hotel is going through some changes.

I probably would not return to this hotel for more than a night or two, you get what you pay for.....

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank Travelmom29
Reviewed 25 June 2004

As an assocate at a Fairfield Inn, I was planning to travel to the area in July, but when i made my res. the rate was messed up and when i called the hotel i was told that who cares that is not what my computer says. Even though i has a confimation letter that stated what i truley booked. I was mad. They told me that they did could but would not do anything for me. I spoke with the GM William.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

New York
Reviewed 8 June 2004

I have no complaints. Quality lodging. But far from Virginia Beach - you need a car definetly! We happen to meet people there and got rides like that.

5 Thank oxjohnnysangelxo
Reviewed 14 November 2003

Have stayed here several times with my family in the last year and have found it very comfortable, convenient to shopping and restaurants, clean and in great condition, with excellent service from the front desk. The Fairfield Virginia Beach is actually a 10-15 minute drive from the oceanfront, but more than makes up for that with its high quality and reliability. Will book there again without any qualms. Dave K.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 September 2003

The accomodations were pretty average for a typical mid to low priced hotel, but the customer service was definetly above par. Our two year old son unexpectedly developed a stomach ailment our only night there.
We used up all of our clean towels cleaning up vomit! We called the front desk and they immediatly sent up plenty of clean replacement towels, and even included a cold ginger ale to help settle his stomach.
They were kind and seemed genuinely concerned for us. The continental breakfast was well done and check-in and out was quick and easy.

• Stayed September 2003