“Very dirty, needs a remodel immediately!!”

Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.
Ranked #103 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Very dirty, needs a remodel immediately!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Was expecting something closer to a holiday inn express. This was more like a truck stop motel but dirtier and not maintained at all. I will never stay with this brand again. Should have been a lot nicer for $170.00 a night.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Housekeeping never came in our 9 days and staff told us to clean it ourselves. Noise and characters around complex were suspect. As a military family staying there moving to the area I would NOT recommend!!

• Stayed July 2013
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This is the first time we stayed at an Extended Stay. Rooms were good & clean, although a little worn. The staff were very friendly. The 'breakfast bar" was a welcome surprise! The landscaping was very nice. All the people staying there were friendly.

Earlysville, VA
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Yes, there are maintenance issues. Yes, it is, in fact, a MOTEL, in the traditional sense: you climb an outdoor stair to an outdoor corridor that faces the parking lot, and find your room, which is a simple chamber with a single window, opening onto the corridor, so you need to keep the shades drawn.

But it does have a rudimentary kitchen: a standard refrigerator, a two-burner electric stove, and some basic kitchen utensils and supplies.

More importantly, it meets three of my most basic criteria for a hotel:

1. I demand QUIET heating and ventilation, and I hate it when a loud system cycles on and off all night. The heater/air-conditioner here at the Extended Stay is very nearly silent.

2. I am bothered by loudly-slamming doors in hotel corridors. I don't understand why many hotels spring-load their doors, guaranteeing a ka-WHAM as they close. Not at the Extended Stay!

3. I hate getting ripped off for internet access. Even on corporate travel, it annoys me deeply when, after paying $275 for a room, they gouge me for $15 for internet access. Not at the Extended Stay! Wireless internet (at a reasonable bit rate) is free, as are local phone calls.

So consider this: on a recent Memorial Day, the Holiday Inn (beachfront, on 34th street), was $200 per room. The Extended Stay, ten minutes away via I-264, was $85. I'm sure the Holiday Inn was much nicer, and clearly has a balcony facing the ocean. Had they not been sold out, I would have stayed there. BUT: the Extended Stay was clean, well-managed, and QUIET.

Think about it.

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms on the top floor, so that people aren't walking on your ceiling.
1 Thank EarlysvilleTraveller
Clinton, Maryland
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I do a lot of travelling and this by far was the worse hotel I have ever stayed in. The toilet handle was put in upside down and so you had to remove the toilet tank each time to flush the toilet. The size of the room was ridiculous. My children's bed room at home is bigger than matchbox we stayed in. The bed felt like we were sleeping on a piece on wood and brick combined. My husband and I tossed and turned all night. Due to the US Finals Cheer Competition all the hotels in the area we needed to be were booked. They also had the nerve to overcharge me, and it was like pulling teeth to get my money back. I definitely would not recommend anyone to stay there. We would sleep in our truck before going back there.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed there as a couple last summer. Their rooms were clean and decorated. We stayed for two nights. I am usually a picky person when it comes to choosing hotels. The sheets and towels were clean. I will probably stay there again.

If you have a car it is a 10-minute drive to VA beach, and you can find daily parking lots for just 5 dolars a day. The parking is free in the hotel. There was no breakfast but it is close to Panera Bread and some other restaurants.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seday8
Staunton, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed April 12-14th, 2013
The only good thing about the hotel was the beds were pretty comfy. The bathroom did not have a door knob. The refrigerator was rusty and some of the dishes were not very clean. I had to put a sweatshirt at the bottom of the door to keep the cold air out during the night. Oh, lets not forget the fight in the parking lot and visits by the police.

It's a good thing the only thing we did there was sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends