“Very Friendly Staff and Great Rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.

Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.
Ranked #99 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Fairfax, Vermont
“Very Friendly Staff and Great Rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I'm not quite sure if I stayed in the same place that all of these other people are talking about. I've read about how ESAs are renovating a bunch of their facilities, so perhaps I got lucky with a terrific room.

I was greeted by extremely nice and helpful folks, and when I got to my room, I was blown away with how nice it was. There was what seemed to be a brand-new queen sized bed, a small kitchen, pots, pans, a full fridge, and a spacious bathroom. You can't ask for much more than that.

There were only a couple of things that they could have improved upon. When I arrived, there was no toilet paper. That's no big deal, and they got it for me right away. Secondly, I tried to check in early, and despite the fact that rooms were available, I still would have had to pay $25 for early check-in. Again, not a big deal, but that just seems like a ridiculous policy to have (the staff all seem to agree).

I booked on Hotwire, so I got a great deal to stay there. That being said, I would have paid full price for the same amenities. It's located about 10 minutes away from the Farm Bureau Amphitheater, so it's pretty idea for a place to crash after a concert. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: You may want to ask if you could be placed in a newly renovated room. Again, I'm not sure if tha...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
dayton, ohio, usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

This hotel is in terrible condition, I do not think it has seen any renovation since it was build 40 years ago. You can see chipped off pain and rust all over corridor and staircase. This property allows dogs but I do not think they clean after them properly. Our room had dog food all over the carpet also carpet had big stains everywhere so I was afraid to walk bare feet. It did not look like housekeeper cleaned the room before our checked in. I overheard another guess complaint about cigarettes butts on the floor and under the bed when he checked in. Also bathroom sinked did not drain and we complained but nobody showed up to fix it so we used the one in the kitchen. Also breakfast is a joke, you get decent coffee but bad quality muffins from gas station and they call it breakfast. Do not waist your money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The condition you found in your room upon check in as you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am speaking with my housekeeping staff and will address these concerns directly and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at vib2@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Once again, thank you for providing us with your feedback.
Creedmoor, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

The staff was great, David, Malika, and tall Lady, I didnt get her name , but she helped me with extra pillows and can opener... and answered my questions. GREAT STAFF.. But This Hotel NEEDS A DEEP CLEANING, and TO UPGRADE THE APPLIANCES.. THE BADLY RUSTED REFRIGERATOR on the OUTSIDE WAS A HORRIBLE EYE SORE, it looked like it was very dirty, but it was rusted .HOPE THEY FIX THESE THINGS..

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the front of hotel, not the rear may be nicer rooms..
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I spoke to Maleka at the front desk to let her know that I would be arriving very late. She was extremely courteous and gave me great direction as to what to do upon my arrival. I arrived around 3am, check in was fast and simple, with the same friendly service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that we provided you with great service and a friendly staff. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
California, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We spent a few weeks here during a job transfer. Overall it was acceptable but we weren't impressed. We would stay here again if we had to but would try to find an alternative.

Pro's:
- centrally located in Virginia Beach, nearby mall, easy access to the highway
- reasonably priced, especially if you make your reservation in advance and are staying for an extended period of time
- comfortable bed
- full size refrigerator
- no charge for most local calls
- grab and go breakfast provides some snacks, better than nothing
- friendly front desk staff, willing to help

Con's:
- we spent about 1 minute in the room we were initially given - it smelled like a wet dog had lived in there for a month - be sure to avoid the rooms they allow pets to stay in.
- dirty - housekeeping is fairly poor. We had visible dust along the walls and fixtures, mold on the shower curtain and in the sink, the shower wasn't very clean and looked better after we had showered in it for a few days, and the floors in the kitchen and bathroom were swept but otherwise downright filthy. We never went without wearing slippers or shoes anywhere in the room.
- the air conditioners need to be maintained better - ours had a very dusty filter and a small amount of mold
- the rooms are fairly dingy and in need of paint, the carpets are stained. The bathrooms could really use some ventilation fans.

Overall, this location is acceptable but I can't really recommend it if you have alternatives.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Sewanee, TN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We booked for 2 weeks, but only stayed one night, the room was VERY small, the so called kitchen was a about 2 ft X4ft counter surface with small sink and 2 burner stove, after these, there is zero counter space for any cooking actiion take place at all, one sauce pan with no lid, It was pathetic.

People should not call it a extended stay, just because you throw a frig, a sink, a small stove top into a small regular motel room.

Room Tip: I rather pay a bit more to stay at a hotel, or motel offers real suite type.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the room provided to you was not sufficient for your stay. In response to your feedback, I am making sure that the amenities provided are clearly explained so that situations like this do not happen, again. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at vib@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were looking for a place to stay on short notice. Instead if driving 30 miles we thought we would give it a try. They added $100 to the price of the room. We paid $161 for a room that smelled and a bathroom that was disgusting. The shower didn't drain and still had shavings from the last person but honestly the worst part was the stench in the room. We left early and slept in the car!!!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that the room provided to you was not satisfactory and below our standards. In response to your feedback, I am making sure all our rooms are inspected thoroughly prior to guest arrival. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at vib@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.