“Decent Place for extended trip”

Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd.
Ranked #96 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I've spent the majority of the month of March staying here for business. All exterior rooms. There is no elevator to take you to the third floor so be prepared to climb stairs if you check in late. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Rooms are clean and fairly quiet. Its located in a great location with easy access to the interstate.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Your feedback regarding our elevators will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We look forward to hosting you again the future!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The room was a good size but not at all as clean as I would have liked it. The kitchenette did not have a oven but that is expected. One great thing is the heat in the room was AMAZING (we stayed in the middle of a snow storm). Just remember you get what you pay for

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for new years eve and ended up staying another night. The hotel wasnt extremely clean or fancy but you get what you pay for. There are a few negative comments we have.. there were no complimentary shampoos or conditioners, only 2 bar soaps, the kitchen had no oven, the toilet barely had any water and the flush was as powerful as a toilet in a commercial building and the breakfast was limited. We didn't expect much, just wanted a to have a good time together away from everyone and that's what we did. The staff was nice and didn't bother. The building looked decent, free WiFi, decent sized room, nice TV, pretty comfortable bed. Would I recommend it for someone else? Probably not.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jaimie B
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed here on business mostly on the strength of other good experiences with Extended stay America. My experience wasn't ideal, however, so I would probably not choose this chain again if I could avoid it. First of all, this is really more of a renovated motel with doors that enter from the street. This is always disconcerting to me, as it doesn't feel secure, but that is just my preference. The parking lot is poorly lit and feels remote and isolated. I'm sure this contributed to my uneasiness.

Room number one had a broken window lock, and as a woman traveling alone, safety is clearly important to me. The woman who assisted me at the front desk was understanding and accommodating when I requested a visit from maintenance and sent someone to help me very quickly. The maintenance man arrived and tinkered around with the window for a minute or two, declared it fixed and promptly left. Upon checking, I realized that nothing had been fixed, the window was still broken, and I was at square one but the maintenance guy was now gone. I called back and explained the situation, and the front desk told me she would send him back. A few minutes later, he arrived, saying nothing, and just waved a new room key at me when I opened the door, so I moved. Room number two had a broken door chain, and while the window locks worked, they looked like they may not stay locked if juggled a bit. The kitchenette was fine, but seemed just wiped down as opposed to 'clean'. The silverware was definitely dirty and no dish soap was immediately available.) The bathroom seemed similarly grungy and the thought of using the shower frankly made me cringe. There was a strong and lingering odor of urine permeating the room. The TV had bad reception and a limited selection of channels. I ended up propping the ironing board against the door ( which is beyond silly and paranoid, but it made me feel better) as an early warning system of sorts, and went to sleep watching the door, just in case.

Ultimately, and thankfully, my company was able to move me down the street to a similar style extended stay hotel in the same price range, but that is where the similarity ends... The difference is ENORMOUS on every level. My room is safer and cleaner feeling, while the staff is way more pleasant and accommodating.

Avoid if you can.

Room Tip: Find this, ideally, at another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank purplesuitcaseblues
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This was absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with your company!
1) Check-in was as usual very easy and comforting.
2) The room assigned was upstairs with parking just below - no problem.
3) The room assigned was tiny and looked like a remade motel room from many years ago - had worse so I could handle that.
4) To use the commode I had to either prop open the bathroom door or go into the space between the commode and the tub to close the door - too small and really a problem for me.
5) I usually inspect the kitchenette since I do not like to eat from dirty dishes, pots and things - totally not acceptable what I found. Microwave appeared to have not been cleaned for a century. The refrigerator had stains running down the outside of the door. The insides of the refrigerator looked very old. The first pot I picked up to inspect had lumps of who knows what embedded in the bottom and the first bowl I picked up had something that would come off when I scrapped it with my finger nails! I then went to the front desk and received an apology and a new set of pans in a plastic bag that were supposed to be clean. I did not have the opportunity to use them so I will never know.
I then took a shower and was a bit skeptical about the towels but they did not have an odor that was offensive so I used one to dry off with. I looked up above the shower head to see a portion of the ceiling that had been taped hanging down about to come off - go figure!
So, ready to go to bed after the 9 hour drive to get there and having to work through all the above. Then I pulled back the nice clean looking sheets and comforter to climb into bed. But I felt something hit my foot about then and looked down to discover what it was - an obviously used pair of ladies underwear which prompted me to examine the sheets a bit closer and yep - there were the stains.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6) Went to the desk - profuse apologies, new and improved room on the first floor right by the front desk was offered - examined by me and accepted. Of course I took pictures of what I left behind in the other room. Went to sleep and was promptly awakened early in the morning around 4:15 am by the fire alarm! Went to the door no one else appeared to be bothered but needless to say I could not get back to sleep because the alarm continued to ring off and on until I finally checked out and left at 7:30 or so and was given an entire refund on the week that I had planned to stay.
Again, this is by far the very worst experience that I have had ever!
Sadly, it will be the last time that you folks see me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

The place smelled aweful. I asked for non smoking and didnt feel like it. As soon as u got out front of the door it smelt like weed was being smoked. custoner service was slow and didn think seem to care about a thing we needed. I wouldnt stay here anf I woukdnt recommend it at all

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please know, our housekeeping staff is always available in the morning hours to help refresh your room in the event situations as yours occur and we are always willing to accommodate you with another room. Still, I will be working with the staff to ensure that we improve in the areas of cleanliness and service so that these issues are not repeated.

If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at vib2@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

very friendly staff and nice remodel. the shops and restaurants were 5 minutes away. safe neighborhood and everything was within walking distance....nice little country store right down street if you forgot something and needed to run if .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Virginia Beach - Independence Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Sarah - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that our staff and location were able to provide with a wonderful stay. I am pleased to hear that our closeness to many places within walking distance was a great experience for you, as well.

hank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.