“Loved my stay at this hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Virginia Beach Norfolk

Courtyard Virginia Beach Norfolk
Ranked #58 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New York
“Loved my stay at this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott VAB Norfol from May through August. I loved my time here.

The hotel is on the older side, but my room was always clean. I loved my balcony which overlooked the pool and courtyard. I worked nights, so I loved sitting out on the balcony when I got back to the room to relax and read.

My bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. The bathroom had clean, comfortable and large towels.

The pool was refreshing, and I loved the hot tub.

Watch out for the washing machine though ... it has a machine that auto dispenses detergent. It also bleached my clothing. The hotel told me they were going to reimburse me for the shirts that were ruined, but they never did ( I actually just realized this as I am writing.)

My favorite thing about this hotelwas their service. I stayed her on week nights, but returned home on the weekends. The hotel always held my luggage for me, and once even let me just keep my stuff in my room, so I would not have to pack up at all.

Breakfast was always good, but avoid the eggs ... a little watery. The wait staff in the breakfast area was terrific.

The hotel does not have a restaurant (other than breakfast,) but there is a restaurant in the hotel across the street. Try the egg rolls and bisque ... both delicious. ANother place you might want to check out is Hell's Kitchen in downtown Norfolk. The best crab cake I ever had!

One other little issue ... the air conditioning in the gym was not working properly. It was the middle of summer in Virginia. It was super hot in the room, and it made it a little uncomfortable.

Otherwise ... I would absolutely return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Paris, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

We had a fantastic time at your hotel, everyone was super friendly and helpful!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
West Deptford NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

Arrived Friday 9/17/2010 at the Marriott Courtyard 5700 Greenwich Road Virginia Beach,VA

After a very long drive,I went to check in so I could go relax,little did I know I was about to go through alot of aggravation,I was paying for my stay in full with Cash,that was fine though, the problem came was when they informed me that a room deposit was due right there on the spot, WHAT ROOM DEPOSIT?

Now this would not have been a problem except I had no knowledge of this deposit since I booked online and it was no where in the paper work that I printed out,the manager for this hotel needs to find a way to let people know about this deposit when they are booking online, PERIOD POINT BLANK!

That's fine that there are certain policy's in place but they need to make sure people are aware before they arrive NOT when they get there to check in,anyway we had come a long way so I was tired and in no mood to go back and forth about the deposit,I was told if we couldn't make the deposit to shorten our stay or make a run to the bank for the deposit,since that was not an option, I just let them run my card for the hold what a pain in the neck that turned out to be, the manager charged the wrong amount, not only the deposit but the room stay went on the card to,WHAT THE H E L L ,I was so mad because not only did I not know about the room deposit but then to top it all off he charged my card for the whole room stay, when I said I was paying cash for the whole room stay when I first arrived to check in.

My question is what are your managers doing there, this really P I S S E D me off I had to go through all this trouble calling the bank, then the manager had the nerve to say that he didn't realize I was paying cash for the room.I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME, I said that when I first got here,that goes to show you that he was not listening to me right from the start. SHAME ON YOU!

At this point my husband walked in trying to see what was taking so long and I didn't want to get him started because it was his birthday weekend and I wanted him to have a good time,so I did what I had to do we cleared everything up but not without much Hassle. ALOT OF HASSLE!

I feel as though this hotel needs to do a better job with informing people about this deposit before check in because from what I heard from another staff member this is not the first time this has happened to people,and when your coming from far away you don't need all this mess.

P.S. Just An FYI to the Managers and GM for this hotel Telling people they can go else where is not good customer service especially when the customer has no idea about your hotel deposit until they arrive if it was booked online. You are seriously lacking customer service skills.

As for recommending this hotel I have to say NO because they could have handled things alot better than they did,especially the manager.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank probsmcva
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

When we checked in, the front desk clerk, Stephanie, was the nicest desk clerk I have ever encountered. She was friendly, efficient, and helpful. The lobby is very nice, bright, and clean.

My room was not as nice as the lobby or customer service. It was quiet and spacious, but there were two main problems:

1) The thermostat never worked properly. Even when I set it to 65, the actual temperature never got below 72. When I brought this up to the front desk clerk on the morning I checked out, he said "well, it's supposed to cool off today." I replied that maybe he should have maintenance look at it since the next guest might complain.

2) The bathroom was not clean when I checked in, nor was it really cleaned during my stay. The same hairs on the floor and on the shower wall were still in their exact same places the next day after my room had been serviced. I thought that was really gross. Apparently the cleaning staff only put new towels on the rack and did not scrub anything.

Other than that, the hotel was fine. The gym was adequate and the pool area looked nice. Breakfast was very nice and the attendant was very friendly and efficient. I probably should have changed rooms, but it didn't seem worth it for just two days.

I will probably try another hotel for my next business trip to the area, but I would stay here again if necessary.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Mid-Atlantic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2008

I have found with these reviews that it is the little things that make or break a stay. Overall, our stay was fine- especially since we landed a pretty good price in the 80's a night. If I was paying the going rate those nights at $150, I would be ticked.

The Good:

-Courteous staff
-Clean room
-Comfy bed (the usual Marriott feel)
-Good value so close to the beach (for the $80 price range-obtained because of being a Marriott rewards member and this hotel's summer offer of 25% off)
-Great location- 15 mins from beach, 10 to the Va beach town center (all the restaurants you could want), 15 to MacArthur Center Mall and downtown Norfolk, 15 mins from Greenbrier shopping and eating areas.

The Little Things (the bad)

-Internet was down for the first 24 hours of our stay. bummer because we needed it since we were there doing business. From what I understand it was an upgrade to the system, so it isn't a typical problem, but wish I would have known before hand.

-Trash can- we only had one in our room, not that big of a deal, but a little annoying. When we requested one Friday, they said they'd get on it. They didn't. When we requested one again Saturday it took a while before anyone knew what was going on.

-Pillows- if you like pillows with any support, bring your own. when I called down for extra-firm pillows, or some type of alternative, the woman kinda snickered and basically told me what you see is what you get. That was a little annoying to me since the Marriott Rewards site has an option to put your pillow preference- the double stuffed being an option. Guess all the employees don't know this fact.

-Hot tub was down all weekend.

These things (barring the internet) are indeed little but indicative of some of the issues this particular courtyard has. They would keep me from coming to this marriott at the full price, but would return if it was value priced. Not the worst, not the best.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank antsmarching1405
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2008

Me,my husband and our 4 yr old stayed here for 6 nights, we had a great time, the location was good just 15 minutes from the beach, malls and restaurants near by as well,(if you need a fridge you have to request one), the hotel experience was great, after reading some reviews I was a little nervous about staying here but I'm glad I did, hotel is very clean(except pool needs a lil' cleaning) I recommend this hotel and I will definetly stay here again, we didnt eat here but the restaurant onsite is only open to 10am, they do have a small area with sandwiches and snack open 24hrs.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2008

I stayed here for a business trip and it wasn't the nicest place especially for a Courtyard, my biggest peeves were A. there was no hair dryer, what kind of hotel doesn't have a hairdryer in 2008, and B. they charged way too much on my credit card so I had to call and get it fixed. I wont be staying here again. I will be parking up in the Springhill Suites right off 264.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank ladylump
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virginia Beach
Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk
Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Nor...
#41 of 109 in Virginia Beach
Hampton Inn Norfolk/Virginia Beach
Hampton Inn Norfolk/Virginia Bea...
#19 of 109 in Virginia Beach
TownePlace Suites Virginia Beach
TownePlace Suites Virginia Beach
#53 of 109 in Virginia Beach
La Quinta Inn Norfolk Virginia Beach
La Quinta Inn Norfolk Virginia B...
#56 of 109 in Virginia Beach
SpringHill Suites Norfolk Virginia Beach
Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center
Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beac...
#49 of 109 in Virginia Beach

Been to Courtyard Virginia Beach Norfolk? Share your experiences!