“CLEAN and EXCELLENT location”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This is seems to be a little down from where the main action is but there was a marathon in town and I couldn't get any closer to Neptune's Statue (main area it seems like), However, this location was just fine. We were on the 9th floor....ideal...saw dolphins! Right outside our hotel we found a 'stable' on the beach and rode horses! The indoor pool/hot tub was delightful and my kids loved it! All rooms face the beach with a little balcony. Beds were very comfortable with crisp sheets (big deal for me) and all was very clean and room large. My only complaint was we could not connect to the internet like they promised....called several times. (Something about Mac books) They promised to call back soon....four hours later no call so we called again. The last hour we were there we finally got on. I kinda want to hold this against them and rate them lower than five stars but I keep hearing my kids saying how much they loved this hotel. Workout room nice too. Free parking is always great! Buffet breakfast (10.95) was pretty good (exact food buffet we got included at Hampton Inn in Williamsburg the night before). Overall I would say this was a great experience. (Paid about $160 through Expedia for one night)

Room Tip: ALL face the ocean....I didn't believe it but, OMGoodness....they are great!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

We are glad to hear that you and your children enjoyed your stay with us! I do however apologize for the inconvenience of the internet not functioning properly. Our maintenance crew works around clock to take care of these issues, and we are sincerely sorry for not being able to correct the problem in a timely manner. We hope that you plan to visit us again, and thank you for the feedback!

-Samantha

Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed in the presidential suit room 1009 the supervisor was very helpful her made sure my stay at the marriott was a nite to remember mr. rande gaines did everthing to the best of his abilities to make sure my stay was as pleasant as possible an I greatly appreciated his hard work along with the other staff will always think about coming back to this location an my name is sergeio wynn, very pleased

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are always happy to hear that our guests had a great stay. Please don't hesitate to give us a call when you're ready to make another reservation.

Samantha

Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel a year ago, in February 2012, and it was a horrible experience. The reason was because they mistakenly put me on a floor that was undergoing renovations, and I didn't discover until the following morning that there was no hot water on the entire floor! While the situation was rectified (I was given temporary access to a room on another floor so I could shower and get ready for a business meeting), it left me extremely disappointed and wondering how such an oversight could happen. Neverthless, I decided to give the hotel a second chance a year later and I'm glad I did.

The hotel renovations are now complete, and the first thing I noticed was a fresh, new entry foyer and breakfast/restaurant area. The colors are bright and bold and lend a chic touch to the ground floor. I was eager to see the renovated guest rooms. They did a very nice job. While I think some of the aspects were unchanged (wallpaper, some fixtures, same old noisy heat/AC unit), overall the room had a comfortable and sophisticated look with the new furniture and upgrades, and was very conducive to getting work done (the "old" desk chairs, for example, were red pleather that were uncomfortable and in various stages of cracking/peeling. The new ones are comfy and modern). This isn't your normal Courtyard - plus every room has a beautiful oceanfront view which isn't something I'm used to seeing on business trips!

This property really redeemed itself in my eyes. The front desk people as well as the folks at the breakfast bistro were friendly, outgoing, and energetic. They don't pretend you're invisible - not a single employee passed by without making eye contact and saying hello. They are doing something right at this hotel and I will surely stay here again the next time my travels take me to Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: Join the Marriott Rewards program. It's free and you may get upgrades to some of the larger sui...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Maruru
Tanner D, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience while staying with us. We appreciate the second chance and are pleased that we were able to meet your expectations The Courtyard by Marriott South is newly renovated as of last year and we are pleased that you enjoyed the new decor and great staff members! We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stayed here for a race with a group of friends. Stayed 2 nights and had 2 suites - so happy all rooms are oceanfront! The staff was super friendly and always helpful. Provided complimentary on the go breakfast for racers.... Huge plus! Comfy beds and towels that weren't thin/scratchy. Clean rooms and public spaces. Recommend this for families, groups, couples, anyone! Enjoy...

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank SaltSandSurf
Tanner D, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you for taking your time to review Courtyard by Marriott South. We are pleased to hear that you and your party enjoyed our oceanfront suites and friendly staff members! We hope to see you back at our hotel for a future stay!

Reviewed 8 February 2013

Had nothing bad to say about this place. Lots of free parking, nicely decorated, good rooms. Got a nice wrap around suite with oceanfront balcony. Lots of work being done on the beach, hopefully that's cleared up before the summer!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrew C

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, but I do apologize for the beach replenishment project that was taking place during your stay. The dredging ended a few weeks ago, and the oceanfront is once again calm and peaceful. Thank you for your review, and we hope to see you again!

-Samantha

Reviewed 4 February 2013

It is always difficult to make last minute arrangements and so this time was no different. I'm a sucker for a good hotel, but this trip was impromptu and not only was I entered to run the Polar Plunge 5K, but I had to find an affordable and conveniently located hotel.

I had go through a list of hotels online and I respect people's reviews so although I wanted to stay at a "fancier" hotel, the reviews for those mentioned were not so good. I finally decided to come here as it was just the right distance away from the events and was just the right price.

The thing I want to mention above the nice decor, the very clean room, the view from our room, and the quietness of our hall is how incredibly nice and helpful the staff is here. Not only was I able to extend my checkout due to wanting to come back in between events at the Polar Plunge, but I had forgotten my earphones and the man at the front desk went out of his way to help me find some. Unfortunately there were none to be found, but his efforts were commendable. When the bistro got our breakfast order wrong they gave us more than extra food to apologize and it was nice sitting after a 5K and watching the ocean as we ate. Even when we arrived the vibe of the hotel was nice and we were greeted with casual, genuine smiles.

I loved the modern feel of the hotel as well, you can tell they are trying to work on their image and it showed as it looked very relaxed there. I don't know what it is like in season but I can say that what I experienced was incredible customer service and accommodations were met. I'm a sucker for such things and this place delivered.

Room Tip: the staff makes this place
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LadyJRVA

Thank you for taking your time to write such great comments about Courtyard by Marriott South. We are happy to hear how the wonderful staff took care of you and it was a pleasure having you stay with us. We hope to see again for next year's Polar Plunge event and hopefully even sooner!

Reviewed 22 January 2013

Being fairly unafraid of the cold weather, my girlfriend and I decided on a trip to Virginia Beach for Christmas weekend this last month. It's nice. No hoards of tourists to contend with and a fairly quiet (not deserted though), peaceful scene.
The Courtyard South is in a very central location. There are tons of cafes and restaurants in the area. There are your typical touristy shops too, where you can buy cheap sunglasses and ridiculous Virginia Beach t-shirts.
Conveniently enough, they have their own parking lot. We're from DC, so we're not used to a place where you can just drive up and NOT have a valet employee waiting to take your car and charge you sixty dollars a day for parking. That alone was refreshing.
We arrived rather late and check-in was a very easy process. The woman working the front desk for night audit was not what you would call "peppy" or "informative" really. In fact, when asking her about anything to do, she was pretty much resistant to tell us anything other than we had to drive about fifteen minutes or go to Norfolk. We weren't looking for anything amazing; just some basic bum-around activities. If it weren't for that, I'd give the place five stars. The rest of the front desk staff were extremely friendly, personable and (maybe because it was slow) one gentleman (dreadlocks) even remembered me by name. Boom. Awesome.
The pool and hot tub area are very nice. Not too large, but not tiny either.
The guest room we had on the seventh floor was wonderful. It had a decently sized balcony and of course, a fantastic view of the whole beach. It was really wonderful to get up early and check out the sunrise over the ocean's horizon. Amazing. The room was decently decorated and the beds were pretty comfortable. The closet we had was huge as well, so if you're staying for awhile, you'll have plenty of space for your belongings.
The housekeeping staff were also efficient and non-disruptive. I would return to this place in a heartbeat. Thank you for a wonderful Christmas weekend, guys.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CaptainAwethume

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are happy that you made the trip in the colder weather and enjoyed the beautiful oceanfront views especially the sunrises! Courtyard South is located in the center of the Virginia Beach Boardwalk with many shops, restaurants, and activities all within walking distance. I apologize for your check in experience. We have used your feedback in a positive manner and have put steps in place to ensure that all our staff is aware of all that Virginia Beach has to offer! I am happy that all of your other experiences with the staff were exceptional and created a memorable experience for you and your girlfriend Christmas weekend.

We hope to see both of you for future stays!